• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 112
  • Total: 112
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on April 17, 2017, 11:12:29 AM
WAMT ?
Windows 10  yet AGAIN.
Half my apps refuse to open, the search bar refuses to function, on opening settings, only half the options work before the window closes or crashes.
Hours of browsing for a solution only points to thousands of other users with similar issues and many half arsed work arounds including clean installs.
This W10 is becoming (for me), the worst version of windows ever. Even more issues and bugs than the useless vista had.  >:( >:( >:(

Is it downloading that massive windows update in the background?  Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way.

Windows 10 does like a proper restart occasionally, and not just a shutdown and boot. But you probably already know this. ;)

The only problems I have is with the EDGE Browser, it's lost the favourite tabs a couple of times, which is very annoying having to add them again.  I've even known a restart to restore those too, but not always.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

anglefire

Must admit, I've had very few issues with W10 - I did see a popup about Creators the other day, but I've not had anything further - and being on 150Mb broadband, don't have many issues with speed if it is downloading in the background!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Quote from: anglefire on April 17, 2017, 03:55:00 PM
Must admit, I've had very few issues with W10 - I did see a popup about Creators the other day, but I've not had anything further - and being on 150Mb broadband, don't have many issues with speed if it is downloading in the background!

150Mb broadband  :o Wish mine was that quick.  I have BT Infinity 2 fibre broadband, and quite frankly it's rubbish. Sometimes slower than my old ASDL but for four times the cost. Methinks I need to review this situation.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

WAMT ?
Windows 10  yet AGAIN.
Half my apps refuse to open, the search bar refuses to function, on opening settings, only half the options work before the window closes or crashes.
Hours of browsing for a solution only points to thousands of other users with similar issues and many half arsed work arounds including clean installs.
This W10 is becoming (for me), the worst version of windows ever. Even more issues and bugs than the useless vista had.  >:( >:( >:(

Never had a problem with W10.  :tup:

StephenBatey

I've not had any stabilty problems that I know of due to Win10. My biggest problem was falling foul of the "I really must restart Win10 NOW to install the latest updates, and I won't take no for an answer so tough luck" message and action a few days ago.

The minor annoyance is that Win10 always knows best and I have to reset some registry tweaks after almost every update - happily a batch file take care of it.

I have the settings adjusted to Windows updates only, and defer non urgent ones.

Win10 surprised me. I got the free download just hours before the deadline, and made sure that I had a cloned solid state drive backup of Win7 before doing anything. That drive is currently installed as well, so I can drop back at any time.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

The only issue I have had with W10 has been as a result of the last two 'security' updates which broke the USB links to my 'phone and mp3 player. It was relatively easily fixed after a few minutes of searching on the web. It didn't affect everyone apparently. This is the issue with having a one size fits all operating system, sometimes it's a bit loose around the edges.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

The more I dig the more issues I find.
I can not add another account/user.
I can not see/find cortana or edge
Opening all settings will close down if I select apps and features.
Some folders refuse to open asking for admin rights yet I am sole user and admin of the machine.
Can not use recovery as it tells me my system rebuild was more than 10 days ago ?
Its looking more likley that I will need to do a system refresh or fresh install.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Reinardina

Could it have been taken over by aliens/hackers?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

StephenBatey

Any chance that it's a hard disk problem, with some of the various security bits corrupted? Have you tried chkdsk on your drive? I find the command promp chkdsk faster and more reliable than the option under properties/tools.

One very useful tip I picked up a while ago was changing the settings on various shortcuts I used to add the "run as administrator" option. Theoretically less secure, but a darn site easier than having an intrusive pop up box appear every time I want to use something that I use a lot.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Alfonso_Frisk

Think your on the right tracks Stephen.
Just ran some tests from a program called Seatools and the long tests return a problem with the hard drive.
Also managed to run 2 system restores but again both failed and pointed to hard drive issue.
Need a think about next steps.
Have all my photos and editing progs backed up so may try the system refresh option but Im guessing the hard drive issue will still be there.

edit
have also ran chkdsk and it returns with no issues found.

anglefire

Feel rubbish. Everything aches. Had a bath and still not feeling great. And got a Car rally to do stuff on Saturday, well tomorrow night it starts, so can't even crawl into a ball.

I don't do being unwell, well.   :o
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

StephenBatey

Sympathy. Rum and hot milk, drunk in bed (if you use enough rum, you can probably achieve both senses of the phrase) works for me.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on April 18, 2017, 03:16:41 PM
Think your on the right tracks Stephen.
Just ran some tests from a program called Seatools and the long tests return a problem with the hard drive.
Also managed to run 2 system restores but again both failed and pointed to hard drive issue.
Need a think about next steps.
Have all my photos and editing progs backed up so may try the system refresh option but Im guessing the hard drive issue will still be there.

edit
have also ran chkdsk and it returns with no issues found.

UPDATE
Have managed to get the system stable again with everything in place as it was.
Not sure how long for as indicators point to a hard drive issue so are doing extra back ups for now.
I visited a site called major geeks and with their help did some deep scans and ran some repair tools.
On in particular called tweaking .com windows repair tools seems to have put things in order.

StephenBatey

Hopefully that will at least buy you some more time. Presumably you should be replacing the hard disk? I mentioned earlier in this thread about having a clone of my my boot drive - this was created very easily as I cloned onto a Smasung SSD, and they provide (free) software that clones the boot disk onto their SSDs via the USB port - all you need is some way of attaching a bare drive to the USB, and I have an adapter that does that. It certainly made it easier than messing around with clone tools and disk duplicators.

I have a probable hard disk issue at the moment, and it was that that made me wonder about your disk in the first place. I have a 4T drive that seemed suspect some time ago, and I'd retired it, then decided to give it another chance and started using it as a second mirror of my main data drive (which is a mirrored RAID, with two external backups and one external mirror). In this role, it didn't seem too important if it failed. I then swapped it to another use after it had been flawless for several months, only to find that it started developing problems that stemmed from inconsistencies in space flagged as free on the drive, and I needed to run chkdsk to fix it. The problems seem to arise when there is more than one operation taking place - it doesn't like two programs accessing the drive at the same time. I've now decided that I won't risk using the disk again...

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Oldboy on April 17, 2017, 06:53:07 PM
WAMT ?
Windows 10  yet AGAIN.

Never had a problem with W10.  :tup:

My Window10 PC is down at the moment and I'm still trying to recover it. According to Microsoft Help Desk the problem is caused by Third Party antivirus causing conflicts within Windows 10 to prevent it from starting up.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.