• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 21
  • Total: 21
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Elements Organiser Catalog Backup - Very stange behaviour

Started by SimonW, December 31, 2012, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Folks,

In my Elements V9 Organiser I regularly use File>Backup catalog to external hard disk. I've never yet had to restore from a backup (touch wood!). But today out of curiosity I opened the backup folder on the external disk. In addition to copies of the photos (with file names changed) and some other files I didn't look closely into, were very many pdf files. I opened one of these and was very surprised by the result so I tried several others. (I have Elements 9 on a desktop and a laptop, both with Windows 7 - they both do the same thing.)

In short it appears that the Elements Organiser has backed up every pdf file on my system (hopefully in addition to all the relevent photo organiser files). Nowhere in the Organiser, or in the help system, is there anything to suggest it also catalogs and/or backs up pdf files, and I can find no way of preventing it from doing so.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a large number of work-related pdf files on my system which I would not want made public, and as I believe some versions of Elements can sync with "the cloud" this might be a security problem.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.