• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 239
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 244
  • Total: 244
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

4 power cuts so far today on account of violent winds. 4 times the PC has died in the course of rendering a collage. I am mightily hacked off, to put it mildly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

We had a power cut on Sunday that lasted five minutes but if I'd phoned the power company they would have said there was no power cut? Had the same thing when I worked with computers during the early hours. Phoned the power company and they insisted there hadn't been a power cut but both our mainframe computer and IBM's, which used a building about half a mile away also lost power at the same time. We had a backup power system but that didn't kick in until ten minutes had past.  :o

Hinfrance

Unfortunately I don't have a UPS for my PC - it uses more power than the standard UPS systems supply, so I would have to get a commercial one, and they cost a small fortune.

Luckily the sudden stops don't seem to bother it too much, but losing stuff half way through is not conducive to a good mood.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

I invested in an APC UPS back in pre-history when power cuts were frequent locally and I was burning data onto CDs in Windows XP - an expensive and time consuming process. The UPS saved my bacon several times. I kept it , and replaced the battery last year even though we get less power cuts now and DVD burning is quick and cheap. This year I'm burning 25GB M-Disks (once again expensive and time consuming) and wouldn't be without the confidence that the UPS gives me.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

I did find a (cheapish) 2000VA one, but it reacted too slowly so the computer died anyway, and it was very noisy. So I sent it back and just keep my fingers crossed - not that effective but a lot quieter. As I do recording and mixing music a noisy UPS, or even one with a relatively quiet fan is not an option for me. My PC tower was chosen in part because it is super quiet - 4 almost silent fans.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

I used to have a UPS years ago - but eventually found that the battery low longer was holding a charge so the PC would die anyway!
I would like to get another one - preferably with decent monitoring.

Any recommendations?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

SimonW

My APS unit has been 100 percent perfect for years (touch wood of course). It has monitoring via a USB connection, three "monitored" mains sockets which turn off when you shut down the PC, and others which stay on. You can also route the phone line to the router via the unit for surge protection. The monitor regularly reports that it has passed a health check, and a year or so back advised me to replace the battery, which I did. (It's rather like a motor cycle battery, and not too expensive). I'd certainly recommend you look at them.

http://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/categories/power/uninterruptible-power-supply-ups-/computer-and-peripheral/back-ups-pro/N-1itz49c

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Their price for my requirements £519.98 - cheapest option. Through to £2175.00 - I think I'll pass, if it's all the same . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

I only want it so that the pc and nas drives can soft power down, so the 650 one for £140 would suffice.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Are you sure that's sufficient? 650va typically equates to around 350w, which is not very much. It's enough for my daughters old low spec PC, but nowhere near enough for anything a bit more beefy. The PS in my PC is 750w, so giving a tiny bit of leeway that mean an 800w UPS, typically 1500va upwards.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

The Iron: Man, created by renowned artist Antony Gormley would have been ideal for this weeks competition, as it has rusted quite nicely. As they are building the Metro extension over where it stood, it has been moved into storage.  :'(

anglefire

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 09, 2018, 08:06:35 AM
Are you sure that's sufficient? 650va typically equates to around 350w, which is not very much. It's enough for my daughters old low spec PC, but nowhere near enough for anything a bit more beefy. The PS in my PC is 750w, so giving a tiny bit of leeway that mean an 800w UPS, typically 1500va upwards.

I did think I'd ran the config - but I'll look again - It only needs to last long enough to shut down the pc and hopefully the NAS drives - though not sure how that would work!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

My graphics card died - totally. I had been having a few sudden unexplained complete PC shutdowns running either a video or photo editor. I downloaded the Novabench test app, and the PC folded immediately after the GPU test started. Took the card oout, cleaned it of dust etc, reinstalled it and didn't even get the BIOS screen. I have an old lower specification card, so I've installed that for now, working OK so far . .

FWIW the failed card is a Radeon GTX 660, 5 years old, so I reckon out of warranty  :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Mmmm, actually worse than I thought. With spare graphics card installed the PC is now crashing in exactly the same way. Which suggests motherboard or OS. I'm going to install the latest Ubuntu on dual boot as my video editor has a version that will run on that. If that doesn't crash in the same way it'll help narrow the field.

Otherwise - shopping.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Mick

Have you removed the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure?

Settings in the Startup and Recovery.

Also while looking inside your pc, have a look and see if any of the capacitors on the motherboard are bulging slightly at the tops, they have a habit of doing this, as I found out.  Mind you this was ages ago. https://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=459.0

Does memory still go bad as much as the old days, spose you could check that as well. if you have more than one memory stick in there, removing one at a time to see if one of them is causing issues.

Just some ideas.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.