• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Nikon 1????

Started by Jediboy, November 05, 2017, 05:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

I'm taking the wife to Marrakech in February as a surprise for her 40th. I'm looking to avoid taking my DSLR but still want to do a bit of photography on something decent, but small.
Was looking at the Nikon 1 (J4 model) but don't really know much about them. I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience of them? At first glance they look quite good but always interested to hear of people's hands on experiences.

Thanks,

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Sorry, no idea at all, but I do notice that they are interchangeable lens cameras.

My experience of holidays is that I take a DSLR and my Olympus TG4 and take almost all the pictures with the TG4. The reason - fits in pocket, waterproof, dustproof, wifi, GPS, compass; use it swimming or in sand storms (took a load of pictures in SA on Noordhoek beach while being sand blasted). Daughter took it to China with her and it survived not only the trip but misuse by a teenager. There's the TG5 out now with a better sensor and 4k video.

Next hols it's the TG4 and a new bridge camera - I'm buying myself a Panasonic DMC-FZ330 for Christmas. Weather sealed, huge zoom at f2.8 and 4k video too boot. High ISO won't be very good, but frankly I don't care ;)

Anyway, whatever you decide upon have a fabulous holiday.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Rather than an inter-changeable lens camera why not go for the Nikon 900. One camera with a fixed lens that goes from 24mm to 2000mm. I've seen the photos and they are stunning.  :tup:

jinky

I tried out a few of the Nikon models when I was looking for a travel camera and found them disappointing. Initially I went for a panasonic Lumix  LX100 which is OK but didn`t have enough reach for me. I`ve not got a Fuji XT10 that is ideal I carry that , 18-55, 55-200 and 35 f2 lenses with batteries and a few filters in a messenger bag and it is so light without scrimping on quality of pictures and great in low light. Take a memory card into a shop and try them out to see what you make of them and look at the pictures at home to check out low light working.

Jediboy

Thanks for the replies. I should look at other manufacturers I think and see what else is suitable. It's just something to throw in my pocket so looking at second hand. Looks like some bargains are available on eBay.
Thanks again.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.