• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 85
  • Total: 85
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photo of the day or edit of the day

Started by oRGie, March 24, 2009, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your opinion. You gave me a lot to consider.

I will have a go, when I have a bit more time, and see what I can come up with, following the above advice.

A picture postcard, advertising the charms of the Waddenzee (though hardly visible) or an artistic interpretation, but why not both?

I'll be back.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Reinardina

Worked a bit more on the monochrome version. The colour version will take longer, as I have to start from scratch. (And dig out the image from the archives.)

Is this more or less what you (Alan and Jinky) have in mind?

jinky

Yes that`s more or less where I would have cropped it. Works well for me and whilst I have not seen the colour version it works so well in B&W with that sky and road

ABERS

As I said initially this was a made for monochrome ,and the sinuous road, highlighted as it is, makes a strong statement within the frame.  Images don't  always have to show the reality of what you see but what takes your eye when you look at a landscape and the impression it leaves.

Great stuff R.  :tup:

Reinardina

Thank you gentlemen.

I'll dig out the colour version, and see if I can turn it into a great postcard.

It was a brilliant summer's day, as far as I can remember, and the sky was not half as impressive in 'real life.' Mono really brought out the detail; exaggerated by some editing of course.

I think the colour version is very blue and green. Will be interesting to see, what I can do with it.

Beaux Reflets

Nice work Reinardina,

I like the crop and general editing

Although in my opinion the 'bleaching' of the road is just a little or far too intense!

Yes it jumps out of the scene to state and express to the viewer, 'what caught your eye,' But it is then far too over powering in becoming a huge Distraction centre stage; sticking out as a very boring (all be it wavy) soar thumb to completely turn the viewer off from any further invitation to explore the more delightful surround and sky, for a second , third and forth time.

As is, it is now a typical sort of image I would often skip past in Exhibitions after the Initial viewing - but that maybe just my love for Van Gogh and Photographic images that draw and hold my attention for hours, simply by utilising and developing Light effectively.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Thanks Andy.

You are right, the road is quite 'in yer eye.' Just goes to show how every individual, 'sees' an image in a different way.
I may experiment further.

ABERS

When you first posted the image R you titled it " The Long  and Winding Road", that's  what the picture was, and still is, all about.

It's  not  the general run of the mill landscape, the area surrounding the road is a support to it and let's you see that there is something other than just the road.

Too often we see landscapes, or in fact other genres of Photography,  that eventually turn out to be just straightforward 'record' pictures, with no other thought put into  them other than to make a record with no indication of what was felt by the photographer when the button was pressed.

You can't  please everyone, but don't  let those that you don't  please  drag you away from your intentions.  :tup:

Conversely  don't  let others guide you along a path you're  not comfortable with.  :-[

Beaux Reflets

Totally agree, the end result in creating and producing a photograph or work of Art should be with self pleasing the author and their intentions; And indeed any criteria a image may be purposed for towards communicating with the audience being sort (targeted) or they generally seek.

That said, there are points in processing images where aspects may not wholly gel and a part in a work can appear miss jointed or seemingly divorced from the body of the whole work (which is fine if that is intended). Directly highlighting within highend areas in an image can result in the loss of the finer detailing, where as darkening the surrounding tones will automatically highlight the highend details as they exist, and the finer details will remain to continue to hold and carry the eye.

The joys of photography - Like many great Masterpieces they are never finally finished.  ;)                    :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.