• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 34
  • Total: 34
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Lightroom Catalogues

Started by CML-1591, September 12, 2009, 01:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CML-1591

Does anyone know how these work exactly? Should I have a different catalogue for each sort of folder of photos i put in? Also what would happen if i were to work off an EHD?

Thanks in advance.

P.S, sorry if this is in the wrong section, was torn between two.

Craig
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Mick

Quote from: CML-1591 on September 12, 2009, 01:02:20 AM

Craig

Craig, sorry I can't answer your lightroom question, as I don't use it.   But I have added a lightroom forum, and moved this into it for you.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Hi Craig,

i'm not as up on this as some of the others - but i don't think it really matters. A case of personal choice i think.
Lightroom can certainly handle a large library (i've not heard of a limit being found as yet) and the pictures can be organised in folders ordered by category, date etc or you can have seperate catalogues - 1 for each subject.

The real art is learning to use the keywords that allow you to search and retrieve pictures quickly.

Mine are currently ordered in one glorious folder using keywords - though i am now starting to use sub folders.
I think if i were ever to make a living from photography to any extent i would create a seperate catalogue and have one for personal and one for professional.

That's my take on it.

Oly Paul

Quote from: CML-1591 on September 12, 2009, 01:02:20 AM
Does anyone know how these work exactly? Should I have a different catalogue for each sort of folder of photos i put in? Also what would happen if i were to work off an EHD?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

No need for seperate catalogues really and if you did it would make searching for images by keyword difficult as you can only have one open and search one catalogue at a time unlike EM2 which can searches multiple catalogs, which I use in conjunction with LR2.

Working of a EHD is no problem, if it is not connected you can still work with the previews that LR built when it was connected, so you can still us it in the Libary mode. you can keyword etc without being connected but you cannot use it in the develop mode to process/develop your images unless connected .
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

picsfor

good point about EHD's - forgot about them and key word searching of multiple catalogue's.
My EHD is permanently connected for use with Mac OS X Time Machine and as i said- i only use the single catalogue.

CML-1591

So by the sounds, all the pics go to one catalogue,

Hmm thanks guys, some thought now.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Jonathan

Probably one catalogue for all pics is OK.  I use one per client and then one for all clients (plus others for my own snaps).  Some people who regularly add large numbers of pics reckon they get much better performance by creating a new catalogue for their big shoots (e.g. 2 weeks in the Masai Mara), editing the pics in there and then merging the catalogue with their regular one.

LR catalogues can hold a lot of pics - hundreds of thousands easily.

As for the EHD - what everyone else said.  But you may need to remember that the catalogue must go on a local drive (internal or USB/FW) it can't go on a network drive or shared drive from another machine.

Oh and originally Adobe/Apple recommended excluding LR catalogues from Time Machine backups.  You may want to check current advice.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.