• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

I've got a little Metz 15. Never had an issue with it. Even my 58AF that I dropped on a tiled floor almost entirely works (the wide angle diffuser snapped off) after a bit of fettling with a screwdriver, although I did loose a spring in the process which I replaced with a bit of folded cable tie . .

Anyway, fingers crossed for you that the repair gets done properly and with as little expense as possible.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

Well I've just received the quote for repair £415, which is almost double what they charged two years ago for the same fault. Anyone want to buy a Canon macro twin lite going cheap.

Harry

Hinfrance

Quote from: hssutton on May 19, 2016, 09:43:33 AM
Well I've just received the quote for repair £415, which is almost double what they charged two years ago for the same fault. Anyone want to buy a Canon macro twin lite going cheap.

Harry

'Kin 'eck Harry, that's absurd. FWIW here are pictures of the two macro 'systems' I use. The Metz is fine, most of the time, but you can't use it in bright sunlight and with the Pentax cameras it tends to overexpose. The Pringles tube, lined with alu foil and with a slit covered in baking paper is much more reliable with the Sigma speedlight, and illuminates more evenly too. So all in all I'd stick to the cheapest option most of the time. And I like the cheese and chive flavour snacks in the DIY hardware too, which, of course, you have to eat first.

Or there is always the styrofoam plate diffuser.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

Thanks Howard will have a look at these, however I must have HSS and be able to adjust the power down to approx 1/32. At the moment i'm awaiting a reply from another company. Failing that I will have a go myself, only problem is old age is making my hands shake a little. I used to play around with the Raspberry Pi, but had to pack it in as I couldn't hold my soldering iron steady enough.

Hinfrance

Harry, the Pringles tube uses a normal flashgun, in my case a Sigma EF 610 super which is PTTL HSS and full manual control - I'm  willing to bet a Canon flash will be at least as flexible. I just use it on auto either PTTL or PTTL HSS and use the camera control to increase or decrease the flash compensation if need be.

You've got nothing to lose having a stab at fixing it yourself regardless - Canon's quote is just taking the p***.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hssutton

Well I've made a decision I'm going to buy the Yongnuo YN-14EX Macro Ring LITE Flash Light for Canon  and have a bash at repairing my canon. I have a little experience of repairing flash equipment and I've been involved with electronics most of my working life, but by no means an expert.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-YN-14EX-Macro-Flash-Cameras/dp/B00I3BQXG8

Harry

Hinfrance

Looks like a good buy Harry. Good luck with the repair.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

What annoys me today, and every time a major aviation disaster happens in good flying weather, is the endless speculation, on what could have caused it.
We've heard it all before; mechanical failure, terrorism, pilot suicide. It's spelled out again and again, and repeated at least twice, in every news broad cast.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

hssutton

Howard will report back with my thoughts on the Yognuo, I already have 3 of their speedlights and so far been very impressed.

Harry

Hinfrance

Having spent a large part of the week sorting and fettling stuff for our annual car boot jaunt, it was rather disheartening this morning to set up our pitch in torrential rain and 14C. The rain did not stop and eventually soaked and without anything sold (no-one came, unsurprisingly) we had to give up and reload the car. Still at least the electricity is back on: that was off for half of yesterday after a lightning strike on a local substation.

It's still peeing down now.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

Yesterday actually. Went to Wales to help run a stage on the Baja GB rally - which meant getting into stage by a ford - which is fine. But had to then park off the side of the track to be safe.

And managed to cause more damage to my car than I've done in a total of 4 weeks off roading in the Pyrenees and week in Poland. Nothing major, and I've sorted it this morning, but annoying all the same!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Another power outage. Posting while the UPS is still keeping the modem running. The UPS on my PC has had one power cut too many and is now an ex-UPS. Getting mightily peed off.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 25, 2016, 02:20:54 PM
Another power outage. Posting while the UPS is still keeping the modem running. The UPS on my PC has had one power cut too many and is now an ex-UPS. Getting mightily peed off.

Power Outrage?

Hinfrance

You could say that. And another €80 for a replacement UPS. Grr.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Life ain't easy, for a boy named H.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.