• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 258
  • Total: 258
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

All the best for the new year!

Started by Reinardina, December 31, 2017, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 02, 2018, 07:32:47 PM
FWIW I really like my FZ300. Just about to order an extension tube so I can use it for macro photography too. 12mp is plenty, but it can't compete with a DSLR at higher sensitivities.

I think you bought well considering current options (the faster the lens the better in my opinion)  :tup:

I'm hoping one may come my way in the sales if I can persuade my better half. An extension tube will be a must for me, especially if it protects the zooming out barrel from snagging in my big mitts.

Having lost three bridges to failing zoom mechanisms over the years, as I & other folk got caught out in awkward handling accidents (once when the lens cap failed to 'pop off' & held back grunting gears) I have every intention of fashioning a semi permanent protection sleeve guard for my next Bridge.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Andy the extension tube for the FZ300 is just a tube threaded 52mm at one end that screws onto the lens and threaded 55mm at the other end to take either the close up or zoom multiplier lens - it does not cover the original lens but rather extends it, possibly making it even more vulnerable to physical damage.

I'm sure you're right about the lack of long term reliability, they are not as solid as 'proper' cameras, that's for sure, but make up for that with lightness and versatility in one package. Also the TT350 flashgun I have for it is dinky in comparison to the DSLR ones I have. Just waiting for the wireless remote control to arrive for that :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 03, 2018, 01:37:43 PM
Andy the extension tube for the FZ300 is just a tube threaded 52mm at one end that screws onto the lens and threaded 55mm at the other end to take either the close up or zoom multiplier lens - it does not cover the original lens but rather extends it, possibly making it even more vulnerable to physical damage.

I'm sure you're right about the lack of long term reliability, they are not as solid as 'proper' cameras, that's for sure, but make up for that with lightness and versatility in one package. Also the TT350 flashgun I have for it is dinky in comparison to the DSLR ones I have. Just waiting for the wireless remote control to arrive for that :)

Perhaps I got it wrong but in this video the extension tube looks to be attached to the camera casing, and the zoom barrel is working away zooming in and out within so it cannot snag  :-\   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iq1IWUf7Z4   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iq1IWUf7Z4

Hinfrance

That link doesn't work for me I'm afraid Andy, but I am curious to see it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 03, 2018, 04:09:51 PM
That link doesn't work for me I'm afraid Andy, but I am curious to see it.

In the search bar where the addresses are shown at Right hand end click on (page secure logo) blocked content and it should hopefully show up.  :tup:

I hope you view it Howard. The extension tube used in the video has a 58mm thread.  :tup: 

Hinfrance

I have seen that one - although I have to admit to having skipped a fair few bits - my word is he a dull human being. I didn't see him actually zoom the lens at all - it was all preset. There are, however, two threads on the lens - one on the end of the moving part, and another on the inside of the barrel - so any extension tube would have to be threaded externally at the camera end if it is to go over the moving part of the lens mechanism, and internally at the business end to take the conversion lens. I shall investigate further!

Later - yes, Andy you are right, that is exactly what it is - it was I who had the wrong end of the stick.  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 03, 2018, 04:39:23 PM
I have seen that one - although I have to admit to having skipped a fair few bits - my word is he a dull human being. I didn't see him actually zoom the lens at all - it was all preset. There are, however, two threads on the lens - one on the end of the moving part, and another on the inside of the barrel - so any extension tube would have to be threaded externally at the camera end if it is to go over the moving part of the lens mechanism, and internally at the business end to take the conversion lens. I shall investigate further!

Later - yes, Andy you are right, that is exactly what it is - it was I who had the wrong end of the stick.  :legit:

The  Extension tube I think is from Sony -  VCLDH 1758 and I assume the 1.7x converter lens may be Sony too - a lot of wind making the sound track a bit blurred,

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.