• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 46
  • Total: 46
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Oly Pen EP1

Started by guest4, June 16, 2009, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4

This new digital Pen micro 4/3 model from Oly looks sweet but have you sen the prices?

Chepest package is £699 at Warehouse Express...

Gulp

anglefire

At that price, they have lost it.

Not that I was ever in the market for one!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Malcolm1938

They say this was based on he Pen F - If it was I would be first in the queue... The Pen F had a good Reflex viewfinder system while the EP1 is without a proper viewfinder relying on the rear screen. My first feeling was that they have lost the plot (Twice when you take the price into account)...
A friend of mine has a Panny G1 which is (in my opinion) a far better offering at a more realistic price. The G1 H is however too gimmicky to appeal and too pricey to consider..

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Spiritflier

It looks great and having handled one, feels ok to use as well... It's like a G9 with interchangeable lenses!  :)

Having said that, I think it's overpriced and certainly no match for anything else at that price point on the market.
Good for Olympus for being creative though.
See ya,
Si

spinner

Quote from: anglefire on June 16, 2009, 09:55:52 PM
At that price, they have lost it.

Not that I was ever in the market for one!

It's way cheaper than the Gold Plated Canon Elph, I saw in my local camera shop last year. Still don't get that one.  :o
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

I've got an empty cupboard full of stuff I didn't buy  ;D :tup:
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oly Paul

Well I don't have one myself but contary to the consencus here , reports from Japan indicate that the Micro Four Thirds platform across the board, including Olympus and Panasonic, are claiming 20% of the interchangeable lens (read: DSLR), so if those figures are correct i guess  a few people are liking it and its only a matter of time before Canikon jump on the bandwagon.  ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

anglefire

Well, the forst bit may be true - but I doubt Cankon will every goto 4/3rds - Canon already have 3 sensor sizes - and the rumour is that the 1.3 crop will go sooner or later and just leave 1.6 and FF. Actually I like the 1.3 crop - quite a nice compromise. Though full frame is hard to beat somehow!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Oh and I was also going to say, that £700 is only £300 short of the new 100mm macro lens :)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

greypoint

For me anything without an optical viewfinder is of very limited use.

Oly Paul

Quote from: greypoint on September 05, 2009, 06:51:22 PM
For me anything without an optical viewfinder is of very limited use.

Me to which is why I have the E-30 (best of both worlds) but the best of both worlds in a package as small as the Ep-1 would greatly interest me. :)

Mark never say never, as I remember a few announcments from Canon and Nikon regarding dust busting and live veiw being unnecercery and not what there customers wanted. But the truth is as with any business if Micro 4/3rds cuts into there slice of the cake they will try to counteract it, and not by reducing there range of cameras . We will have to remember this conversation for a later date if I'm still around ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

anglefire

Well, true, never say never - Nikon didn't see the need and had no intention of going full frame a couple of years ago!!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

greypoint

If they could come up with a semi-pro standard ultra small DSLR - metal body, weather proofing, good fps,fast accurate af, optical viewfinder etc.etc. - and a range of good quality [weatherproof] small lenses, including long range telephoto, to match I'd be first in line.

anglefire

I must admit, I'm not a small is better person!

I carry my 5D when I go to site at work - as it fits in my laptop bag easier than the MkIII - which I have to take the lens off to get in.

My 350D now feels too small - even with its grip on. So any thing smaller would be no use at all. But thats me! YMMV
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Malcolm1938

Well Panasonic have launched the  Lumix DCM-GF1 which appears to out Pen the Pen (full details in this weeks AP)

The price is a little lower than the Olympus but it more than the G1 which has the advantage of a good viewfinder and comes with a lens....

Now we await the Samsung model with it's APS sensor - I'm expecting that to hot up the price war for this type of camera....

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.