• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 209
  • Total: 209
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT thread weekly competition 19-26th July Subject: Monochrome

Started by Reinardina, July 19, 2015, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Blandford

Personally I think the important issue is whether you are happy with the end product, You can always find an article or expert with a different point of view to you.  I have posted my image which I am happy with, but I am sure you will all have your own opinions. That's what makes Photography interesting for me! :legit:
still trying to paint with light!!

Reinardina

Quote from: New Forest Man on July 25, 2015, 12:47:28 PM
Personally I think the important issue is whether you are happy with the end product, You can always find an article or expert with a different point of view to you.  I have posted my image which I am happy with, but I am sure you will all have your own opinions. That's what makes Photography interesting for me! :legit:

True. And here comes the subjective/objective, personal preference, and technical aspects of any image into the equation, and the discussion rolls on and on! Forever.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

StephenBatey

Quote from: Reinardina on July 25, 2015, 01:14:34 PM
And here comes the subjective/objective, personal preference, and technical aspects of any image into the equation, and the discussion rolls on and on! Forever.

I'll accept that. I was going to start a new thread to discuss my viewpoint, but I can see your point - nothing would come of it and it would just drag on. So I won't.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Reinardina

Quote from: StephenBatey on July 25, 2015, 02:30:50 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on July 25, 2015, 01:14:34 PM
And here comes the subjective/objective, personal preference, and technical aspects of any image into the equation, and the discussion rolls on and on! Forever.

I'll accept that. I was going to start a new thread to discuss my viewpoint, but I can see your point - nothing would come of it and it would just drag on. So I won't.

Nothing wrong with a new discussion. It has been done before, and will be done in the future. It's just one of those perpetual subjects that needs regular airing.
We all have our own opinions and preferences, but we can still learn from each others point of view.

Only thing is, it often seems to get a bit heated, with people taking general comments as personal insults, so we have to be careful.

StephenBatey

I can't see any point in reinventing the wheel to cause a heated arguments and people taking umbrage. I'll bow out at this stage, but if you want to see my idea of black and white, you can see some here}

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3A6DCBEC5B37E3FC!2121&authkey=!ADVE3YpzBI1FKaQ&ithint=folder%2ctif
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

David Blandford

Stephen,

I just had a look at the link and I am not in the same league. However I can see your point but I have to agree it will be for the best to leave this discussion alone before we upset or offend somebody.

David
still trying to paint with light!!

Reinardina

Great images Stephen. It just goes to show, that landscapes are eminently suitable for black and white photography.

The ones I took on Sunday, don't even come close!

Reinardina

Apart from the John Deere, the entries are all living things. Why would this be?
Two of my 'possibles' are also animals!

kerbside

Reinardina, I think with Monochrome you have to see the picture that you are about to take without any colour if that makes sense.

Some topics, in my opinion do not work, those that have a multitude of colour originally, flower boarders, brightly coloured birds, insects etc

Landscapes work as they have detail in the clouds that can be enhanced with filters and to answer your question i think animals in general work, again not too many variations in colour. Having said that my other cat is a tortoiseshell and she does not work well in monochrome as there are too many differing colours in her coat.

Thats it from my point of view on this subject without going all technicle.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

StephenBatey

Quote from: kerbside on July 26, 2015, 03:28:47 PM

Some topics, in my opinion do not work, those that have a multitude of colour originally, flower boarders, brightly coloured birds, insects etc

I have the contrary opinion - just for the record. Anything can work, if the photographer makes it work. It's the photographer's skill and imagination that makes something work, not the subject per se.

Reinardina

I lack photographic skills, haven't really a clue about most technical aspects, but (hopefully) learn as I go along.

Funnily enough, one of my animal pictures, is a small herd of mainly black cows.

Been to town in the rain today, hoping to get some shiny wet pavements. Came home with some street scenes, which I have been working on. Not sure about anything yet, as the more I do, the more doubts I have over the results.

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on July 26, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
I lack photographic skills, haven't really a clue about most technical aspects, but (hopefully) learn as I go along.

I disagree with that statement, 'That you lack photographic skills', and this can be shown by your photos. Your photo titled, 'Stay at Home Mum', shows this. Once you take a picture it isn't the end of the process rather, it's just the starting point, for when you get home the real work starts. You spend hours working on the photo until you get as close to what you saw in your minds eye. Only a true artist would do this as shown by the great masters. This skill is greater than any technical aspects.  :tup:

kerbside

Quote from: StephenBatey on July 26, 2015, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: kerbside on July 26, 2015, 03:28:47 PM

I have the contrary opinion - just for the record. Anything can work, if the photographer makes it work. It's the photographer's skill and imagination that makes something work, not the subject per se.

Glad we all have differing opinions that's what sets us apart and makes the end results unique, without these opinions we would all end up with the same stereotypical pictures.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Took my image with cameraa set to mono but the RAW file was coloured. I suppoose it has to be or it wouldn't be a RAW file. However, what I took through the viewfinder was mono. Will post it up later.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on July 26, 2015, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on July 26, 2015, 04:38:12 PM

I disagree with that statement, 'That you lack photographic skills', and this can be shown by your photos. Your photo titled, 'Stay at Home Mum', shows this. Once you take a picture it isn't the end of the process rather, it's just the starting point, for when you get home the real work starts. You spend hours working on the photo until you get as close to what you saw in your minds eye. Only a true artist would do this as shown by the great masters. This skill is greater than any technical aspects.  :tup:

Gosh OB, you have me blush! But thank you for the compliment.
What I meant was, that I only very slowly begin to see the relationship between technical settings on a camera. For years I have been trying to master the theory, but never remembered it.

It is only now, after years of taking photos, that I actually change ISO and aperture settings to fit the situation. But which settings to use, to get the best results for a monochrome image of a colourful flowerbed? No idea. I'd try a few possibilities and hope for the best. When my photographer friend sees the results, he'll immediately say: why did you do that? Or why didn't you try so-and-so? He immediately sees what I did wrong, and I still don't.

But I know what I like to shoot, when I see it, and I am getting better at getting a reasonable result. A lot of my best shots I have serendipity to thank for; I often find unexpected things, I simply did not see, when I pressed the button. Sometimes it spoils the shot and, if possible, has to be cloned out, but sometimes it adds just that little bit, that makes an image special.

The editing throws up practical problems, as my damaged retinas, influence the way I see colour, and make me prefer slightly over saturated photos, or darker monochromes with good contrast.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.