• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 236
  • Total: 236
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Low Res Images - Are they safe

Started by bones615, August 07, 2009, 01:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

Found this on a local newspaper website -

"People wishing to submit photographs by e-mail should file them to picdesk@archant.co.uk. Photographs should be sent in JPEG format, and a file size of at least 200KB to 500KB is necessary for good reproduction in the newspaper."

Seems like a very small file to be able to print.

Mick

Quote from: bones615 on August 07, 2009, 01:10:37 PM

Seems like a very small file to be able to print.

Spose it would be ok for a newspaper though.  A glossy magazine would be a different story.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Jonathan

Depends on the print process and paper stock.  500kb would give a nice quarter page in most mags.  Easily go full page in a newspaper.

Also depends on image content.  When I shoot high key of kids the files are amazingly small.  Lots of similar tones + smooth skin = tiny files.
It's Guest's round

spinner

Quote from: Jonathan on August 07, 2009, 07:49:45 PM

Also depends on image content.  When I shoot high key of kids the files are amazingly small.  Lots of similar tones + smooth skin = tiny files.

But is that your choice or a function of the camera due to the limited data it needs to record?
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Jonathan

It's a function of the jpeg compression algorithm.  A large area of white will compress extremely well.  The classic measure of a large file is a bundle of sticks - all the texture and detail = huge file.

I shoot kids on a D3 (12MP) in jpeg at fine quality (minimum compression).  Some files right out of camera are 1MB or less.  I'd be happy printing them to 60X40 :)
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.