• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 44
  • Total: 44
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I'm not saying my system is faultless, but it seems you are overcomplicating the issue Andrew.
I use L/room 2 and CS3 and always shoot in RAW

I have a file on my C drive called Sony. Each time I load the day's take I create a sub file within it with that day's date as the title (date, month, year), so I have a chronological list of work. This is copied to an EHD as back up, as is the resultant list that can be found then in Bridge.

This is where I now use the L/R catalogue and keyword facility. Import the file into L/R and assign the images (drag and drop) to whatever catalogue is applicable and apply the relevant Key words.

If I've been say, to Speakers and Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden on the same trip and have images from all of them, the resultant images are placed into the appropriate catalogue.
You can make a catalogue for each of the sections that you mention, Flickr images, CC, Friends and family etc. etc.

You haven't at this stage done any post prod work on any of the images.

Once I have completed that post prod work within L/Room and am satisfied with it I export the image back to its original file, with whatever title I choose for it and back up to that file to the EHD. So at this stage I have a finished copy in L/R, a finished copy on my C drive and a copy on an EHD.

I always print nowadays from L/R, I find it easier and convenient to do so with the all facilities it has.
Any file I want to put on Clickpic, I work on in L/room, export it to its original folder/file, with ClPic in the title. When |I find it in the original file I re-size in CS3 ( 72 DPI, 600 pixels along the longest side) and save a copy within that file, or move it to a specifically named Clickpic folder.

I said originally that you seem to overcomplicated things, but perhaps my method is as complicated! ::)

Since I only take about 2000 images a year it doesn't get too cluttered, I can imagine the work involved if like some photographers they take that amount on one outing. :o

picsfor

I think the responses given highlight the problem.
Maybe the problem is my photography is changing - what I'm photographing, how I'm photographing it, what I'm doing with the pictures once captured.

My work flow had been organised rather like a database - a simple MS Access database. But i think what i am doing has some how evolved beyond that.
This time last year i could not have imagined doing Speakers Corner or understand that whole aspect of street photography.
My kit cameras then (30D & 40D) did not produce files suitable for stock agencies unless you undertook a reasonable amount of processing (often an hour at a time per image).
The 5D MkII outputs images of up to 120mb in 8bit tiff/ 30mb jpg. No work required - even Alamy which is notoriously fickle in what it accepts rarely challenges what comes straight out of the camera.
I was involved with DCM and had just signed up for Flickr. Hadn't touched Clikpic.
I now do CC, join in various groups within Flickr including one of the 365 Challenges, have signed up to Clikpic (which in itself is a whole learning curve) and signed up for an OCA Course.
I didn't understand L/R let alone use it. My whole process revolved around catalouging in Bridge and processing in CS4. Now L/R is all i use - it seems to be all I need.

I think it is fair to say i have my work cut out. But i must find a system to work with and i think Forseti's book may well point me in the right direction.
My last group trip out to London resulted in some 400 images taken between 10:00 and 21:30. I could have taken more  but i ran out of memory card space and that was after going through and deleting images as i went along to allow me to keep going. A 21mp FF sensor can really eat up CF memory card space and i only have 10gb of it!

Oh yes - and it this point i haven't even considered submitting for LRPS! 

Forseti

Quote from: ABERS on January 13, 2010, 12:51:40 PM

This is where I now use the L/R catalogue and keyword facility. Import the file into L/R and assign the images (drag and drop) to whatever catalogue is applicable and apply the relevant Key words.

If I've been say, to Speakers and Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden on the same trip and have images from all of them, the resultant images are placed into the appropriate catalogue.
You can make a catalogue for each of the sections that you mention, Flickr images, CC, Friends and family etc. etc.

Don't you think that by using multiple catalogues this in a way sort of nullifies the reason for using a DAM application like Lightroom in the first place. Using multiple catalogues is akin to using multiple folders in which case Bridge would do the job equally as well especially considering it comes free with Photoshop and which you are already using.

Wouldn't it be far easier just to create separate 'Collections' within the Library for images posted to Flickr, CC, PR and the like, after all that's it's primary purpose.

Each to his/her workflow of course but imho having multiple catalogues for the things that you describe is only creating more work. It's ok for wedding photographers and the like because once the event is over, prints dealt with etc the need to access the separate catalogue is pretty infrequent I would have thought. However, for regularly accessed folders like those already mentioned it means going backwards and forwards to different catalogues on a regular basis. This is not to mention of course the need to backup up multiple catalogues, the creation of multiple cache and preview files. No, the advantages far out-way the advantages as I see it but...........each to his/her own in the end - whatever works I guess.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

oRGie

For me the main reason I just use windows folders is future compatability, all that work now, will it still be usable in 5 years!  will you want to migrate to a better cataloging system etc... KISS :)

picsfor

Now now children - group hug :beer:

It is clear that like our tastes in photography, how we process and manage our pictures vary enormously.
So far as evolving technology is concerned - i often read that the next version of Windows will be the last and the standard file format will change.

If, in 2003 when i bought my first digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5700), i knew what i know now, i'm sure i would have done things much differently.
Just over a year ago i was considering the Nikon D3 and D700 because there amazing low light abilities because at that time Canon still didn't seem  to realise the enormous whole they'd dug themselves into.
I was still using a Windows based PC for my computing and photography was something i done in my spare time when computing allowed room for it.
Now i'm using a Mac and have no desire to use Windows any more (even though i have Windows 7 on my only PC laptop) and finally think i've found the digital replacement for the Canon A1 in my 5DMkII.

Technology is advancing at such a rate that the science of Star Trek has its own documentaries detailing what from Captain Kirk's Star Trek is now fact.
When i punched my first card for the first ever program i wrote in 1977, if some one had told me i would own a mobile phone with more processing power than the Space Shuttle i would have laughed.

The trick is to remember that technology is their to serve US - and not for us to be slaves to IT!

ABERS

Quote from: Forseti on January 13, 2010, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: ABERS on January 13, 2010, 12:51:40 PM

Don't you think that by using multiple catalogues this in a way sort of nullifies the reason for using a DAM application like Lightroom in the first place. Using multiple catalogues is akin to using multiple folders in which case Bridge would do the job equally as well especially considering it comes free with Photoshop and which you are already using.

Wouldn't it be far easier just to create separate 'Collections' within the Library for images posted to Flickr, CC, PR and the like, after all that's it's primary purpose.

Sorry I should have said 'collections' rather than catalogues. So L/room is a DAM application, that's something I never knew, and I don't know what a DAM application is either. If it works OK, I am not the slightest bit interested in how.

Why is time always of the essence, I can see it if you are a pro earning a living from photography. Andrew says he considers an hours processing reasonable I would consider an hour just about the time it takes me to decide what I want the finished image to look like and then another couple or so to arrive at what I think is somewhere near that. Leave it for a few days and go back to it and refine what you've done.

There are no deadlines on Flickr, CC or any other forum that I'm aware of, except if you enter their competitions where the image has to be taken between certain dates and posted by another certain date. That's why I gave up entering such competitions. I usually ended up with a finished article that on reflection could have been better.

Take your time be ultra critical of your work, you can always delete it from L/room. ;)

picsfor

Quote from: ABERS on January 13, 2010, 02:15:41 PM
Andrew says he considers an hours processing

That figure was the general figure needed to take an image from an 8mp to 10mp camera an up size it to meet the 48mb tiff rule that many stock agencies refer to. Allowing for upscaling, sharpening, viewing at 100-200% for any dust spots or similar then saving as a tiff of required size after which you re-save as a jpg again re-checking quality etc. before submitting only to get it refused for being 'to softly focused - not sharp enough' etc.

It in know way reflects how long i spend on an actual image. I have been known to spend a day all told playing with an image, others i can literally output directly from the camera. Often, i can spend an hour just playing with sliders in L/R for different effects using the reset photo menu option to start from scratch. It's so easy to experiment with LR i some times think i over do it. The one i posted of your taking the picture on the Speakers Corner meet involved the better part of 3 or 4 visits and half a day just to get to that point. Come and eat your dinner whilst it is still hot got mentioned once or twice  ::)

And i suppose we come back to that very point again. Maybe my photography is evolving. What i want from it may be evolving. Maybe what i consider acceptable or good is evolving.
Maybe that is part of the fun of photography - that we are not stuck in one little pigeon hole. We can elect to  stay in that one pigeon hole - but we are not stuck with it.
Then you have the benefit of sites like this where you can get so much help and encouragement - and even get to meet other photographers and spend some time in their company taking pictures.

It is a great and interesting past time, or profession, that allows you the freedom to 'be you'.

Oldboy

Spotted two cars today been driven where the driver had cleared snow from a small area in front of the driver position, whilst leaving the passager side covered in three inches of snow. Both drivers had not removed snow from their side or back windows either!  :o

Simple

Quote from: Oldboy on January 13, 2010, 09:27:59 PM
Spotted two cars today been driven where the driver had cleared snow from a small area in front of the driver position, whilst leaving the passager side covered in three inches of snow. Both drivers had not removed snow from their side or back windows either!  :o
Annoys me no end!!! Even when people clean windows only and leave 3 inches of snow on boot and roof. When they get going and snow/ice flies of the car into the car behind.  >:(

Rick Wilks

When i went to Edinburgh last week a car covered in snow had to brake hard at some traffic lights and all the snow on his roof slid down onto his windscreen, he tried to use his wipers but there was far to much snow it to work, he had to get out the car and clear it all by hand :2funny:

It takes 5 mins with a sweeping brush and you have to wait for the inside of your screen to clear anyway.. Idiots the lot of them.!!

picsfor

i was too busy photographing a half naked man running in the biting freezing snow to worry about snow on the roof  8) :beer:

ABERS

Went to a trade show at Novotel Hammersmith today, organised under the auspices of SWWP, I think that's the right letter combination :-\.

I was amazed at the number of stands that seemed to be selling/promoting wedding albums, I should think about 50% of those that were there.

I have to say it was really busy with a large attendance, and the air was full of bullsh*t. Not much in the way of camera manufacturers, as far as I could see just Canon and Nikon and plenty of stands selling the usual array of gadgets.
If you are thinking of going this weekend I think you will be disappointed.

P.S. Why do people attend these types of events with cameras slung around their necks??

Jonathan

Quote from: ABERS on January 15, 2010, 10:32:35 PM
P.S. Why do people attend these types of events with cameras slung around their necks??

To photograph the naked men?  Or the girl in PVC?

Yeah it was a weird show.  Especially because of the incredibly low profile kept by the largest wedding album manufacturer.  Also spotted a large number of "learn how to be a professional photographer" stands.

At least the presentation of the competition winners was better than last year - even if the content was rather similar.......
It's Guest's round

picsfor

I had a day out with a fellow driver from Eastbourne. As part of the day we popped into Park Cameras to get him his new Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle lens and a new tripod (Manfrotto 055B  Pro X with 3 way 808 head for the technically inquisitive).

As i waited for him to haggle his best price etc i wandered round to the Canon section and was some what amused to notice there was nothing there that i really had a need for. I was actually happy with the the kit i have got.
What's wrong with me? A shop full of toys and i did not have an impetuous urge to break out the credit card  :-\ ??? :(

Forseti

Quote from: picsfor on January 19, 2010, 01:53:16 PM
........ i wandered round to the Canon section and was some what amused to notice there was nothing there that i really had a need for. What's wrong with me?

Nothing. Somebody in the family obviously knows you very well but more importantly, what you get up to on your *boys* days out. They forewarned Park Cameras to remove from display anything bright, shiny and new. It obviously had the desired effect.  :2funny:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.