• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 171
  • Total: 171
  • Bingbot
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Internet providers, who do you use?

Started by lurkalot, November 23, 2007, 07:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

My self I've been with freeserve / wanadoo / now Orange from day one.   

Using 8 meg broadband, and very pleased with speed and reliability. 

Technical support sucks though, should you ever need them.  Your better off finding answers to your problem on the web.    They'll have you reinstalling browsers, windows and formatting your computer rather than admit there's a problem there end.  So be warned.  ;)

So who do you use, and are they any good?

Alfonso_Frisk

Been with BT broadband for around 6 years. 8mb d/l no limits. Never had 1 day downtime and the only prob I had was when I installed a new hard drive and could not access me outlook account, they solved it on line within half an hour.
Not the cheapest provider I know but I cant fault the service.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

guest4

Me too with Btinternet. However, I'm on the 'up to' 8mb package and there is def an emphasis on the 'up to' as I've never got better than 3.5mb and there have been times, eg around teatime, where its dipped below 1mb.

Mind you, it would be the same with any package with a BT line so hey ho.

Alf, you heard about the BT Fon thing? What you do is agree to let them use 512kb of your broadband as a wifi node and in return you get free wifi at BT Openzone nodes anywhere. I think I do well out of this cos I can't imagine anybody popping out my way to do a bit of browsing.

Carlj

Well, I get the offically cheapest broadband deal around - £0. All BT staff get broadband free. Fon is a good idea, as it secures part of your bandwidth and doesn't impinge on your usage either. If you're sticking with us, but are out of contract, recontract for 12 months, and get Vision free - even if you don't take any of the subscriptions, it's freeview, with a PVR for £30 with no running costs.....

Mick

Hi Carl, and welcome to CC.  :tup:

I've been thinking of changing to BT, but we had so many problems with them at work, I decided to stay put for now.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

I have been with bt for donkey's years now ( 20 + ) and not really looked at different packages. I think my bb is about 28quid (option 3 ) and me phone about 30 quid.
On top of this I have the full sky package  :-[
Think i need to start looking at cheaper options. You would think bt would advise me on the cheaper packages as a long term customer.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Carlj

If you've option 3, you need to look at the free broadband talk - evening and weekend landline calls free for up to an hour - check out at the website. Then you can drop your line rental to the basics. Add into that the free tv and unless you're addicted to Lost (most overrated programme ever) or the sports (most overpriced ever!) you can cut out the sky.

Simple

Hi all,

I was with BT for as long as I can remember, but the wife decided we could safe money by going to Pipex. The service from them is OKish, 8 Mb, and if you have a problem they are very good and will sort it. The only thing is that you have to be careful with what you download after 6pm and over weekends. If you go over 2 Gig in a week they transfer you to a high users line and you get modem speeds. Off peak hours you have unlimited downloads. This was all in the small print and they claim all other providers work on the same principle???

Carlj

Simon, believe it's called throttling back - most providers will reduce top speeds at peak time to enable more people to get a usable speed. How much, though, is dependant on the provider - terms and conditions may not give much away!

guest4

Yeah my BT occasionally drops to below 1meg around teatime which I have to say I'm a little unhappy about. And it only ever gets a max of about 3.5meg, not quite the 'up to 8 meg' it says in the adverts. I do like the free wifi though.

Simple

Thanks guys, that puts my mind at rest a bit at least for thinking I had a dud deal.

Peter J. Jackson

I was with Freeserve / Wanadoo up until last year, just before it went Orange. Had great service with no problems, so much so that I talked my father and in-law's into it, they had a few months without problems, however when it went wrong for them (not me) it went wrong big time. Both lost broadband, They spent hours on the phone trying to sort out problems only to be told that the fault was with BT, BT came out, tested the lines, were very helpful but said the problem was not at their end. Wanadoo insisted it was and kept taking the money. Although I had not experienced any problems I switched to BT in disgust, so did they in the end. All their problems vanished and after a 10 month legal spat for the money Wanadoo had taken without providing a service, my Father received a full refund and £ 685 compensation - result. None of us have had a single problem since (Crosses Fingers) :tup:

Carlj

Peter, you have to be careful with where blame lies, partly due to the complexity of supply. A lot of service providers use LLU equipment, which is their own, installed by their technicians, at BT Wholesale exchanges. Wholesale will, at the request of the service provider, test the line with Openreach engineers, to ascertain if the problem is a network one. Problem is, Wholesale will only address the issue with their customer, the service provider. Resolution of the problem is down to the service provider alone.

Peter J. Jackson

Hi Carl,
I must admit to being a bit old fashioned with this stuff, If I pay someone to do a job I expect it done, I'm not really bothered whose fault it is at the end of the day, if I'm paying, I want. I don't really expect excuses. My father paid Wanadoo / Orange for 5 months with no access, they kept taking the money knowing they were not providing any service whatsoever, which ultimately was what the courts pinged them for. I realise it can be difficult for ISP's with the complexity of supply these days and everyone is relying on everyone else to some degree, but when you sign up and they (anyone) takes your money, they have to provide something or stop taking the money until they sort it. As I say I had no problem with them myself, I was just disgusted at their attitude throughout, things will always go wrong in any industry, it's how you deal with it that seperates the good from the bad IMHO.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.