• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 140
  • Total: 140
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Canon unveils EOS 7D high-end digital SLR

Started by Mick, September 01, 2009, 09:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Just seen this on DPReview.  Canon unveils EOS 7D high-end digital SLR

As anticipated Canon has today announced the EOS 7D digital SLR. It boasts a new 18MP CMOS sensor, Dual DIGIC 4 processors, ISO range expandable to 12800, continuous shooting at 8 fps and full HD video recording. It also incorporates a new viewfinder with 1.0x magnification and 100% coverage and a 3 inch LCD with 920k dot resolution.

Press Release
specifications
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

interesting - looking hard but it strikes me that this camera does away with the need for a 5D MkII.

I'm not saying i wish i had waited, i'm still amazed by benefits gained from the increased technology that comes with it - but if i was buying today - i would have to question the need for a 5D MkII over this 7D...

oRGie

I havent checked all the specs yet, but on first glance not sure I get why they made this one, I guess to offer an apsc spec to go along witht he other apsc line up to 1d  :D  I'm still hoping they will go with a full frame xxD next :)

picsfor

Having looked at the specs again, and the press release i guess the target market comprises those 5000 photographers they were listening to.

I would also guess they are appealing to all those sports and action photographers who can't afford a 1D model but need the specs.
I think of one person who lives round the corner from me who must salivating at the lips at the specs and price of this body.
For football during the floodlit evenings i'll bit he'll even sacrifice his 1D MkII N for this!

I would need to see the quality of the pictures it produces etc - but i wouldn't mind it as a second body to my 5D MkII

Spiritflier

I've just had an email through from Warehouse Express... Body only price is £1699 which is only about £400 cheaper than a 5D MKII. Now this puts me in something of a quandry. If the low light/high ISO performance of the new 7D is as good as DPreview's sample shots are showing, I think I'm going to end up with one of these as opposed to the 5DMKII... At least if I go down this route, my EF-S and Sigma EX DC lenses will still work ok which will save me even more money.

The following link is for a shot taken with the 7D at ISO3200 and I'm certainly impressed (lots of open space for noise to show in)... It'll do my wedding shots the power of good and the 8 fps rate will suit me for wildlife and sports.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/img_2570.jpg

I'm not in a desperate hurry for one but I'm very tempted... especially once the price settles.  :)

EDIT: Just had a look at the sample images from DPReview of the 5D MKII and the images at equivalent ISO's seem clearer and less noisy from the 5D so now I'm back to square one... Might have to stick with Plan A and go for the full frame!  :)

picsfor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30033326@N05/3823144033/

This is a link to a picture taken with a 5DMk II with an iso of 1600 in low light conditions.
I have to say, it is one of the things that has impressed me most - it's ability to handle low light. I am risking hand holding shots that previously i would have reached for a tripod.
Upping the iso to 6400 is more than acceptable as well..

greypoint

Well Hitler's no more impressed by Canon releasing the 7D than he was bt Nikon releasing the D3x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp9WMy4ihg

picsfor

all very funny etc but...

what is all this fuss about shooting video? I still haven't even bothered to work out how to set viedo up on my 5D MkII.
I'm still not sure when some one is going to give me a reason - other than - say - wedding photographers .
I'm still only using m, av and tv - and that's all i want.

I still haven't gone through the last firmware update that was all about improving the video facilities.

greypoint

I suppose the only real way of telling if video is really what people want is to poll current users of cameras with it and ask them how often they've used it in the past six months. I had my D90 for eight months and, apart from playing with it a couple of times, never used it. No idea if it was any good as I did'nt download anything onto my PC.

anglefire

The question of 5dmkII or 7D is somewhat dependant on what you shoot surely? And the result you want. Full frame looks different to crop due mainly to the different DOF.

I love my 5d, so much better for landscapes and portraits, one for the wider angle with standard lenses, the other because at wide aperatures you get a nicer look. But with landscapes that can be sorted with a ultra wide. portraits are harder to sort or at least very expensive. A f2.8 on a FF may need f1.8 on a crop, but go really fast and there is no where to go 85mmf1.2 on a full frame just won't look the same on a crop.

But long may all formats remain - not one suits all subjects perfectly.

Obviously all Imho :) 
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.