• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
  • Google
  • Bingbot
millets
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

There seem to be two types of French workers, the clock watchers and the see it through ones. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Mostly it's the self employed who work all hours, but I'm not so sure that's different in most economies. The civil service is staffed almost entirely by the female of the species, because they get to retire early with full pensions after they have had 3 children. And, of course, the strict working hours suit parenthood as they can always be there to drop off and collect the children from school. So it's swings and roundabouts, as all these things are. I can't remember who said it, but it seems to me to be very true that the world isn't black and white, it's just different shades of grey.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Getting an invitation to enter a competition where, if I won, I would get to spend two days in London, just 10 miles up the road! :doh:

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on January 17, 2014, 10:21:55 PM
Getting an invitation to enter a competition where, if I won, I would get to spend two days in London, just 10 miles up the road! :doh:

Yes, but if you didn't win would you have to leave?  ???

Reinardina

A young father (not much older than seventeen, if that), sitting on the bus and bending over the pushchair in front of him, showing a lot of back, a builders' bum, and acres of underpants before his trousers 'started.'
One hand waving a toy to amuse his son, the other frantically pulling down his top to cover his rear, over and over again.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

SimonW

A wonderful description. I can really see this. I wonder if you could have done it justice with a camera.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

Quote from: SimonW on January 18, 2014, 12:29:21 PM
A wonderful description. I can really see this. I wonder if you could have done it justice with a camera.

I was simply too close. Probably needed a short video anyway.

donoreo

Have to give him credit for amusing the child.   Adults should wear trousers that fit.  Problem with some young adults is they got so used to their trousers being loose and low as teens is that they do not know how they should fit!

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on January 18, 2014, 01:57:57 PM
Have to give him credit for amusing the child.   Adults should wear trousers that fit.  Problem with some young adults is they got so used to their trousers being loose and low as teens is that they do not know how they should fit!

In this case, the father was not much more than a kid himself. His girlfriend was one of those 'tarted up,' slightly overweight girls that could have been anywhere between fourteen and twenty.

jinky

Got the old "hello sir it`s Windows ringing about your computer - are you sat at it now by any chance?" routing today. Now I usually like to waste their time and play along with them for a laugh but today after saying "Amazing - how did you know that?" I said "What crap are you going to tell me about my computer?". His answer was short " That you`re a fu***** idiot" he said! :o.   " Not as big a fu***** idiot as you took me for you f****** wa****" I heard myself reply. Don`t usually swear like that but I`d read Abers earlier post and decided to fight fire with fire. He hung up on me then. I think I`ll have to complain to Windows about the attitude and poor customer service training  of their "staff". ;)

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on January 21, 2014, 10:53:40 AM
Got the old "hello sir it`s Windows ringing about your computer - are you sat at it now by any chance?" routing today. Now I usually like to waste their time and play along with them for a laugh but today after saying "Amazing - how did you know that?" I said "What crap are you going to tell me about my computer?". His answer was short " That you`re a fu***** idiot" he said! :o.   " Not as big a fu***** idiot as you took me for you f****** wa****" I heard myself reply. Don`t usually swear like that but I`d read Abers earlier post and decided to fight fire with fire. He hung up on me then. I think I`ll have to complain to Windows about the attitude and poor customer service training  of their "staff". ;)

I've only had one call from Windows in the last few weeks. Missing them a bit; used to get them at least every other day.

What bemused me today, is to receive an invitation to an exhibition and book launch in Dubai.

Jediboy

Quote from: Reinardina on January 21, 2014, 11:39:34 AM

I've only had one call from Windows in the last few weeks. Missing them a bit; used to get them at least every other day.

What bemused me today, is to receive an invitation to an exhibition and book launch in Dubai.

Sounds great!! Is it all expenses paid?
May the Force be with you.

Chris

donoreo

I have had the Windows calling guys.  I say "That's very interesting since I have a Mac".  Sometimes I tell them I run Linux and that just confuses them more. 

Hinfrance

I never get them. Or at least I might, but when someone cold calls and asks for me by name I tell them that I am 'his' (ie my) PA and that 'he' is only taking personal calls today. Then they hang up. Mrs H is even quicker, she just says no, and waits for the click.

Like jinky though, it is sometimes great fun to wind them up.  :D
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Jediboy on January 21, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on January 21, 2014, 11:39:34 AM

Sounds great!! Is it all expenses paid?

Sadly no, it is assumed I have the ready cash to go flitting off to exhibitions over there.

About cold callers: I prefer the ambulance chasers, who try to convince me that I, or someone on our phone number they were 'given by the hospital,' has had an accident in the last three years. You can really 'feed' them, which I enjoy if I have nothing better to do.

donoreo

This:

http://www.thestar.com/business/real_estate/2014/01/22/westend_house_attracts_32_bids_sells_for_210000_above_asking.html

The short story: a house sold for $210,000 OVER the asking price.  32 offers were made on it! 

Here is the pretty pictures of the house: http://toursler.com/325-perth/junction-triangle-semi

It is ok, but not awesome. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.