• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 23
  • Total: 23
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT - OUTDOOR FLASH WEEKLY COMP 11th FEB - 18th FEB

Started by Simple, February 10, 2018, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple

OUTDOOR FLASH: WEEKLY COMP 11th February to 18th February 2018
I look through all the pictures and notice that not a lot of pictures are taken with flash when shooting outdoors. I love using flash especially when the weather is dull this time of year. It helps to separate the subject from the background. So lets use our flashgun in a picture taken outside. Topic is completely open!!!! Do try to make it obvious you have used the flash in the picture however!

THIS IS THE CHAT THREAD

Pictures to be taken between now and Sunday 18th February 2018, 23:59, but if you find yourself at a loss in this time period, please enter something from your personal archives.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 19th February 2018.
Poll will be up Tuesday 20th February 2018.
Winner to be announced Saturday 24th February 2018

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Jediboy

Interesting topic. Must admit that I very rarely use flash so this should get me out of my comfort zone. Better get some practice!
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Great idea - will try to get something if it stops raining for more than a few minutes at some point in the week.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Went out this evening wit a photo in mind. My flash gun had flash batteries but this wasn't a problem as I had a new box with me. Couldn't believe that they were also flat! So I stood in the middle of a field, freezing cold and couldn't get what I had plannned. I did however manage to get some evening shots.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on February 11, 2018, 09:51:59 PM
Went out this evening wit a photo in mind. My flash gun had flash batteries but this wasn't a problem as I had a new box with me. Couldn't believe that they were also flat! So I stood in the middle of a field, freezing cold and couldn't get what I had plannned. I did however manage to get some evening shots.

Should have checked them before going out!  :doh:

I feel for you as I have done the same before.  :uglystupid2:

Jediboy

I thought I'd be ok with a spare box of batteries with me but clearly not. Lesson learned!

Chris

Hinfrance

Proving a challenge to get a shot this week, wall to wall wet and soggy. I do have an archive shot in mind, and may have to go with that one.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I`m stumped. Not sure how to make it obvious I`ve used flash in the picture other than subject  popping from the background but who`s to know I used flash?

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on February 15, 2018, 04:22:09 PM
I`m stumped. Not sure how to make it obvious I`ve used flash in the picture other than subject  popping from the background but who`s to know I used flash?

It tells you in the image data if the flash was used.  :o

Simple

I find best results when it is not very bright outside. The best way for me to explain is with the following example. Ambient light is 1/60 at f5.6. set camera to 1/200 at f8. Set flash to Manual.  Flash Power 1/2-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/16 etc. depends on distance to subject and Aperture. This way you have full control over how much you want the subject to stand out and how dark you want the background. If eg. you take a flower this way and the background is darker, it is pretty obvious it has been taken with flash.

jinky

Yes I know the exif detail gives me that oldboy but it was more about Simon`s explanation as to how he wants the use of flash to be obvious in the shot. I see what he means now. I`ve generally used fill in flash in the daylight to make subjects pop a bit more without losing the background rather than as he describes.Not sure I`ve anything in archives that meets that request so will have to see if I get any time to play at all.

jinky

An old one for me and not the one I was looking for. I had a few shots I did with my orbis ring light plus extra rim light to one side that I did one time with the inventor of the orbis at a demo in Leeds. You cannot magnify this size enough to see the ring in her eyes. I`ll try and get out and do a new one if I get time but photography seems to be taking a back seat just now.

Hinfrance

An oldie from me as well I'm afraid - it's still raining . . . .

I used two remotely fired flashguns for this (poverty wizards!), everything on manual. I do like doing silly pictures.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

:2funny:

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 18, 2018, 02:58:02 PM
An oldie from me as well I'm afraid - it's still raining . . . .

I used two remotely fired flashguns for this (poverty wizards!), everything on manual. I do like doing silly pictures.

Chris

Jediboy

I very nearly entered a different photo. I uploaded it before removed it. I like the photo but wasn't comfortable displaying it - after much consideration. Does anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.