• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 87
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

My father-in-law has done it again. First he sold his complete wreck of a Porsche for loads of money. Today he announces he has bought a throw away junker: a 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE, two owners, 70,000 miles, full history, just serviced and with four new tyres. £1500. Good grief. The last owner only used it when his Mercedes was being serviced.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 12, 2016, 05:07:32 PM
My father-in-law has done it again. First he sold his complete wreck of a Porsche for loads of money. Today he announces he has bought a throw away junker: a 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE, two owners, 70,000 miles, full history, just serviced and with four new tyres. £1500. Good grief. The last owner only used it when his Mercedes was being serviced.

Sounds too good to be true, and maybe it is?

You know what they say about old cars with low mileage: too many short journeys from cold starts. But maybe that isn't true of Range Rovers, or the previous owner only did a few long trips?

Anyway, he seems to have the golden touch.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

For this tank it was the second of your two possibilities, along with periods of inactivity - the chap who owned it is an acquaintance. FIL doesn't do many miles either, but as he lives a twenty minute drive from the nearest town the vehicle will get properly warmed through every time he uses it. It should last a long while.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

I used to have one of those Range Rovers when I lived in Oman. Would not like to pay for the petrol over here in the UK and if anything goes wrong it becomes a very expensive car. Makes you feel like you own the road driving one though!

Hinfrance

He did say it was just a 'junker'. If/when it breaks, he'll just scrap it. The fuel cost is irrelevant to him - he does less than 50 miles a week.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Daughter is teaching English at two schools in two Austrian villages at the moment. This morning the snow was thigh deep (or is it thigh high?), but the pavements had been cleared so she could walk to school, without any problems.

In England, this would have been a 'snow day,' probably becoming a 'snow week.'

(Yes, yes, I know, England never really has snow, so they are nor prepared and it is too expensive to be prepared all the time, for something that never happens.)

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on January 18, 2016, 02:28:27 PM
Daughter is teaching English at two schools in two Austrian villages at the moment. This morning the snow was thigh deep (or is it thigh high?), but the pavements had been cleared so she could walk to school, without any problems.

In England, this would have been a 'snow day,' probably becoming a 'snow week.'

(Yes, yes, I know, England never really has snow, so they are nor prepared and it is too expensive to be prepared all the time, for something that never happens.)

Answered your own bemusement there Reinardina. TBH I can have no complaints re: road / pavement work in Leeds over rthe last few years. So far as I can see when it has all too rarely snowed the gritters etc have been out and I don`t recall being delayed / prevented from getting anywhere in years. If we had worse weather as you say budgets / gear and planning change.

Reinardina

When I took this photograph:

no one could get to work or school, yet everyone could get to the local Common.

It was one happy playing field, and fun was had by all. Except by those, who ultimately had to pay for all the missed hours of work and education.

StephenBatey

A few days ago when we had a frost, the local paper recorded that 4 cars skidded at the same place on the A23; the first one was still there as the others skidded; the last one was fatal. The paper questioned why the road wasn't gritted - but it probably wasn't obvious that it needed it until it was too late.

When we have snow down here in Hove, the buses aren't able to travel north of the main east-west road through Hove/Brighton as the out of centre roads aren't usually gritted until the thaw sets in (or so it seems) and we have to walk on the icy pavements. Councils are clearly variable, but ours uses all means possible to discourage cars so this may be part of the policy. The A23 was the responsibility of the county council of course, not the city one.

Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

Installed W10 on Mrs H's laptop. It boots 4 times faster, the screen actually looks quite good with the new graphics driver, the WiFi now works all of the time instead of just when it's in the mood. There is one glitch with the start menu, which she never used anyway. What does she think? "I don't like it". Sheesh.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 27, 2016, 12:57:26 PM
Installed W10 on Mrs H's laptop. It boots 4 times faster, the screen actually looks quite good with the new graphics driver, the WiFi now works all of the time instead of just when it's in the mood. There is one glitch with the start menu, which she never used anyway. What does she think? "I don't like it". Sheesh.

I agree with Mrs H's, why can't it look like Windows XP. Just downloaded Office Professional and trying to use Word but everything has changed. When you select save it takes you to another screen - why? When you do a copy and paste it keeps it highlighted as well as anything you type after it unless you select text only in the drop-down menu - again why?  ???

Hinfrance

Don't use Office, and haven't since I retired (my employer had it). We use Libre Office and Serif software for all our office type of work. Mrs H is a teacher and uses Serif's PagePlus for just about everything. That works exactly the same way under W10, only faster.

The start menu glitch, BTW, was caused by an outdated VPN driver.

I think she's coming around to the idea . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

Quote from: Oldboy on January 27, 2016, 08:07:48 PM
When you do a copy and paste it keeps it highlighted as well as anything you type after it unless you select text only in the drop-down menu - again why?  ???

Not noticed that myself and I use word and excel all the time, both work and home. Office 2010 at home and possible the same version at work (I can't remember!)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on January 28, 2016, 08:50:58 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on January 27, 2016, 08:07:48 PM
When you do a copy and paste it keeps it highlighted as well as anything you type after it unless you select text only in the drop-down menu - again why?  ???

Not noticed that myself and I use word and excel all the time, both work and home. Office 2010 at home and possible the same version at work (I can't remember!)

It's Office 2016.   ???

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.