• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 78
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Olympus OM 10

Started by jimthetrain, August 10, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimthetrain

Found my old film camera today. The oly OM 10 with 50mm 1.8 prime and a Hoya HMC zoom & macro 75-205mm f4. Needs two new batteries and a good service but still looks in perfect condition. Probably not worth spending the money on but it showed me how lazy you can be with a DSLR. Any one still tinker with their old film jobbies or are they confined to the depths of your cupboards.

Jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

anglefire

I do have a film camera or two up stairs - but I've not used them for years! I keep meaning to get my Canon A1 out of the cupboard - but never quite make it! I wouldn't mind, but I had it serviced a few years ago and it was back to being fantastic again. Then I bought digital...
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

greypoint

Sold my last film camera when I went digital with a Minolta Dimage 5 - they were still selling OK then 8)

Hybridphotog

Quote from: jimthetrain on August 10, 2009, 02:53:09 PM
Any one still tinker with their old film jobbies or are they confined to the depths of your cupboards.

Jim
Yeah, I do. I've a couple of Leica rangfinders (IIIc and a Standard) parked on my desk, as well as a couple of boxes of film cameras that are generally for display only (drop-down bellows type cameras).

There are a few gems in those boxes though, namely an Olympus OM-1n (bought for the princely sum of £5!), a 1975 Kiev 4, a Ziess Ikon "Coffeecan", a Minolta Autocord, a black FED-2, a 5-digit s/no FED-NKVD, and (last but not least) a Holga.

At the moment I'm tied to what the local 3-hr d&p shop can handle... so it's C41 35mm only.  :(

Malcolm1938

Not an old film camera but a recently aquired Kiev 4 (1984) which was decribed as in new condition (£30) and it really is a beauty. I have not ye trie it out properly but I am looking forward to doing just that in Spain later in the year...

The OM10 would be my ideal digital camera if they would make it - full frame with the manual over ride thingy on it and do away with most of the un necessary gimmicks. A digital camera for photographers.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Graham

I've just put a film through a Minolta Autocord TLR and am looking for a company to dev and scan to disc (If anyones any suggestions :-\)
        On the same subject, I have 8 rolls of Kodacolor VR Plus 200 (36 exp.) on my desk. Their in cannisters but not boxed so I don't know whether their in date or not.
        If any one wants them let me know. (Can we send pm's on here?)
                                     Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hybridphotog

Quote from: CannOffice on August 23, 2009, 06:45:09 PM
Not an old film camera but a recently aquired Kiev 4 (1984) which was decribed as in new condition (£30) and it really is a beauty. I have not ye trie it out properly but I am looking forward to doing just that in Spain later in the year...
The Kiev's are nice rangefinders, and have one of the quietest shutter's you'll hear. Hopefully you'll also have a Jupiter-8 lens, which is a very good Russian copy of the pre-war Zeiss Sonnar lens. There's a magical thing about these lenses... pinpoints of light appear to glow, if the surrounding area's dark. Some of my work done with a Kiev and a J8 lens can be seen here.

If you're not going to use the Kiev for a period of time, keep the Kiev in its 'unfired' state (wind on, then fire the shutter), and make sure the shutter speed is above 1/60th. That'll ensure the springs aren't stored under tension, so the camera will go a bit longer without a service. Also, get into the habit of setting the shutter speed *after* winding on. Setting the shutter speed before winding on can cause damage, and also make the selector loose its correct placing.

The Contax/Kiev rangefinders are prone to lightleaks along the upper edge of the film back. It is possible to resolve this problem yourself, have a look at the "Kiev survival site" for help.

Quote from: CannOffice on August 23, 2009, 06:45:09 PM
The OM10 would be my ideal digital camera if they would make it - full frame with the manual over ride thingy on it and do away with most of the un necessary gimmicks. A digital camera for photographers.
Too many times I've wanted a DSLR that has just the PASM modes... none of this "night time"/"sunset"/"macro"/"sports" modes.

... preferably a digital version of the OM-1n. ;)

picsfor

that is the one blessing of a film camera - it shows us how lazy we've become with film.

I try to remind myself when taking pictures now to think of my digital as a film camera and it has reduced the amount of shots i have been taking - but ultimately my digital produces image quality now that my A1 just couldn't compete with - and i'll not even get into film purchase and development.

chris@seary.com

I've recently bought a second hand Nikon FE, in beautiful condition. I'm trying some of the film that's about - Kodak portra is nice, and I'm about to try Fuji Superia Reala 100.

Film cameras on ebay have started going up in price. Stuff that you get hold of for £25 a couple of years ago is now going for lots more. I saw a Nikon F3 go for over £200 the other day! Film cameras are now a finite resource, so I think they're having their last heyday before the manufacturers make the decision for us to get rid of them.

A copy of American Photo from six months ago stated that most of the well known art/fashion photographers that get their stuff shown in galleries still use film, scanned in so that it can be worked on in Photoshop.

If you want to see some great use of film, look at this lady's gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minka6/

This film group is one of the most prolific on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/

I'm not saying I'm converting to film, but I've just had some scans back from peak Imaging today, and it definitely has its place. Amazing tonal range, and not much need for post processing to get a nice, punchy shot.

anglefire

Quote from: Hybridphotog on August 23, 2009, 09:50:42 PM
Too many times I've wanted a DSLR that has just the PASM modes... none of this "night time"/"sunset"/"macro"/"sports" modes.

... preferably a digital version of the OM-1n. ;)

Sounds much like my 5D - none of the modes, just the PASM and B(ulb) and C(ustom) on a rotary dial. Oh and I suppose the green square. And its full frame. And by the post on another thread on here, only £400.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.