• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 43
  • Total: 43
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

A Record Shot

Started by SimonW, February 19, 2018, 09:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

A Record Shot

Almost all of my photography is for reporting an event, in other words record shots, but I like landscapes too. This is one which is now a record in more than one way. I took it in December 2001 using a Sony Mavica MVC-FD87 Digital Camera which cost £450 in August 2001. It had a great lens and stored six "high quality" JPGs on a floppy disk which slotted into one side. It's an interesting reminder of how technology has moved on, and prices too! The view from that spot is now quite different. More houses in the foreground obscure much of it, and further back the trees have grown to almost completely hide both churches.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Thanks for sharing Simon.

Made me dig back into the first shots I took with my first digital camera - a Fujifilm MX-2700, bought in June 2000. Just over £400 from Dixons if memory serves, a present from SWMBO.

The images are stored on an 8mb Smart Media card, although I later upgraded to the enormous 32mb card. Most of the pictures I took were 740x480 to get more on the card. So most of them are not really useable. This one I took of Table Mountain was full sized though, all 2.3mp of it.

This view has hardly changed, although there are more skyscrapers in Cape Town itself, but its a fair distance across the bay from where this shot was taken.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

This is my first digital camera back in1997. I was looking at the QV-10 in 1995 but could not afford it.  :D

Hinfrance

Quote from: Simple on February 19, 2018, 06:38:35 PM
This is my first digital camera back in1997. I was looking at the QV-10 in 1995 but could not afford it.  :D

Have you still got it? I've still got my Fuji and charged it up yesterday, it still works. Not sure if I have any way of getting the images off of the card though  . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 20, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: Simple on February 19, 2018, 06:38:35 PM

Have you still got it? I've still got my Fuji and charged it up yesterday, it still works. Not sure if I have any way of getting the images off of the card though  . .
Multi card readers have a smart-reader built in.  :doh:

Hinfrance

They do, but mine's dead and the replacement I ordered did not have a long enough lead to reach my motherboard - it seems the standard length of connecting lead is now half what it was when I built my PC. Might look for a USB plug in one on eBay.

Had a look on eBay, could only find one that reads SM cards and it was a bit pricey (£9.95). But I remembered that my daughter has an unused USB reader in her room somewhere, and after a suitable rummage and removing the layers of dust I found it, it had as slot for SM cards (although very little else, it's pretty old) and tried it, and it worked.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 21, 2018, 07:44:17 AM
They do, but mine's dead and the replacement I ordered did not have a long enough lead to reach my motherboard - it seems the standard length of connecting lead is now half what it was when I built my PC. Might look for a USB plug in one on eBay.

Had a look on eBay, could only find one that reads SM cards and it was a bit pricey (£9.95). But I remembered that my daughter has an unused USB reader in her room somewhere, and after a suitable rummage and removing the layers of dust I found it, it had as slot for SM cards (although very little else, it's pretty old) and tried it, and it worked.  :)

You of little faith.  ???

Any connecters should still work as there are no moving parts to go wrong.  :tup:

Simple

Howard, Thanks for putting up the poll. Much appreciated.
I still have the camera. It does not have any card in it. the memory is build in. to get the pictures you need to download software of a 3.25" Floppy disc. Luckily I still have the disc and could find the name. The software is now (still) downloadable for nostalgic idiots like me. The 480x240 pixel images are not very good, I will try and make some pics with it and post on here.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.