• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 241
  • Total: 241
  • Google
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

The Future of Photography

Started by Reinardina, September 01, 2015, 10:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Twaddle. The suggestion seems to be that as digital 'performance art' becomes easier and more widespread that 2 dimensional imaging will cease to be relevant or desirable. This is pretty much analogous to the e-readers will finish books argument, when in fact the sales of 'dead tree' books are higher than they have been for a number of years. This as a result of a resurgence in the demand for the written word which e-readers most certainly initiated. Rather than kill paper they have awoken a latent demand for 'real' books.

The example of the Cubist painters which was used to illustrate the argument actually undermines rather than supports the argument: while Picasso and his imitators certainly demanded attention and set a small part of the art world on the path of painting like 5 year old amputees, more traditional realist painting has not been eliminated from the world - rather it is the fad of Cubism that has faded in popularity over time.  Just as John Cage and Shostakovich did not herald the end of melody and atonal arrhythmic music remains an acquired and rather exclusive taste.

In music, which I have been involved in playing and producing for most of my teenage and adult life, the technology has advanced on a similar path. Analogue recording has been mostly replaced by digital, as sensors have replaced film, but in sound this happened some time before it did with imaging. So if we look to see what has happened it can be observed that although the recording and delivery systems (as well as the business model) have changed in what were largely unforeseeable ways, essentially we still have the same end product. Samplers did not replace guitars, synthesisers have not replaced pianos. They added to the range of tools available to musicians. Although it could be argued that the amount of technology now being used has lowered the barriers to entry so far that we can on occasions find ourselves suffering from a surfeit of rather bland, unimaginative, and poorly constructed music.

In conclusion, yes there will be new ways of presenting the world that arise from the inspiring technological advances that are always being made. Some of these will be quite rightly described as ground breaking and amazing. They will simply augment the range of tools available to the artist or simple record keeper to represent the world about them, they probably won't replace any of their forebears.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

Sometimes first impressions can be misleading, and a more careful reading might disclose that I haven't understood what was being said on the first reading. With that caveat, the first word of Hinfrance's post neatly encapsulates my thoughts.

I'll only add that the writer seemed to have overlooked a heck of a lot on conventional photography and photographic history; from the post I'd have to believe that Man Ray (to look no further) never existed.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Reinardina

I lost track in the second half, and have not had the time to study it fully.

Oldboy

jinky

Yes he`s got a great career now with high end cars and has just got married too. See stuff on facebook from him - some amazing shoots. Keep wishing I`d got into the photography lark when I was younger - much more rewarding than the work I did for over 30 years in some ways  :).

Funny this last week or so for me. If anyone watches 4 in A Bed about B&B owners competing to be best  last weeks featured a place I shot - Beck Hall in Middleham. It was a tip when I shot it - covered in dust every time I lay down for a shot in dirty , tatty rooms.  Did the best I could with what they had  and thought I did well - then the owners sold up without ever re-doing their publicity and using my shots! looks much better now.

Keep seeing Anita rani in Strictly Come Dancing too. She was really nice and friendly when I did a shoot she and the One Show turned up to a few years back too. Great fun.
http://photographybypauldishman.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/pies-beer-one-show-and-brian-turner.html

And I know for a fact the butcher made that pie she entered for her ! :)

Would love to have moved in Tim`s circles though - he just got a signed framed photo of Daniel Craig addressed personally to his daughter after a shoot with the DB9 in the movie! Now that is celebrity shooting!

Mick

Quote from: Oldboy on November 07, 2015, 09:27:08 AM
Just had this in an email from Calumet: http://calumetacademy.co.uk/inspired-business-birmingham-13-november-2015?t=CM02&a=CM02&cal

Those of us who where on DCM will remember him.  :tup:

Tim is actually a member here, under the name "ambientlife" Though he got a bit too famous before he got around to posting anything.  :P  He's done incredibly well, worked hard and it's paid off.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

Maybe someone can persuade him to do a 'guest appearance' here?

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on November 07, 2015, 03:04:51 PM

I doubt that very much.  ;) Though it would be nice to chat to Tim again.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on November 07, 2015, 03:18:05 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on November 07, 2015, 03:04:51 PM

I doubt that very much.  ;) Though it would be nice to chat to Tim again.

Now, that's a very negative attitude Mick, after all he's an old mate from yesteryear. That he is now a big name, does not mean he will have forgotten his old pals. He may not have much spare time, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on November 07, 2015, 04:07:56 PM

He may not have much spare time,

That was what I was referring to actually, or should I say, meant.  ;)  Sure it would be great to see Tim on here, if anyone would like to try and persuade him over, then go for it.  A questions and answers session with him would be great imo.  8)

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

I actually asked him to pop in and say hello. Didn't dare to ask for more.

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on November 07, 2015, 04:39:34 PM

Chicken.  :2funny:  :legit:

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on November 07, 2015, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on November 07, 2015, 04:39:34 PM

Chicken.  :2funny:  :legit:

Yep, that's me. But apart from that, he's a pro, and I did not want to saddle CC with a huge bill!
You can always attend the event in Birmingham for 'more.'

ambientlife

I managed to remember my password ...! lol

Hey guys how's things ?

If you do all Decide to hook up can somebody let me know where and when and if I'm around I would love to meet up and have a lags about stuff. Please extend all invitations also to 'Gil' I do miss him talking complete bollocks on a daily basis...lol Not to mention his holiday images, like he told me often, I'm a flash in the pan and won't make it as a pro lmao

Have a good weekend
Tim

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.