• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 107
  • Total: 107
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Skhilled here. :)

Started by Skhilled, November 13, 2010, 06:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Hello all.

I've had several point and shoot digital cams but could never get my head around f-stops, shutters, etc...until now. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and my new Canon PowerShot SX130 IS is helping me a lot. The info (hints and EXIF data) is really a great help.

My family has a history with photography. I had a great-great uncle (back in the 1920's) who was an excellent photographer. We used to have some of his equipment such as the stands that you had to put flash powder on to get a flash and some really old cameras that you had to manually extend the lens and manually set the aperture and then manually close it when finished. Sadly, a family member who was on drugs sold it all.  >:(

My grandmother bought a Minolta XG-7 with a telephoto lens in the late 70's when it first came out. I still have them and the camera bag and tripod that she purchased with it. But I've never learned how to use it manually. It does take excellent auto shots, btw. LOL

So, I've been surfing some websites and reading books to learn. Digital Photography for Dummies has been especially helpful!  :2funny:

I run a few forums and websites. I've been surfing the net for a little over 20 years and been playing PC games for a few years longer than that. I also love cooking and creating recipes and music...I'm a former musician/songwriter and DJ.

Well, that bit of info should keep you all busy for now.  :tup:
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Oldboy

Skhilled

Thanks, sorry for the late response. Was helping out someone with their forum.
Nikon D3000

Mick

Hello m8, and welcome to CC.  :tup:

Hope you find some handy tips on here if not just ask.  ;)  You've probably noticed we have a couple of members you recognise, Jeza, and Underdog have been over and helped me with a couple of things, arcade related.

Still running older versions on here at the moment, and will upgrade when SMF goes gold.  ;)

Regrds

Mick aka lurk
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Always good to see new members. The more the merrier, and the greater contribution to discussions and help questions...

Oldboy

Quote from: Skhilled on November 13, 2010, 06:32:52 PM
I run a few forums and websites. I've been surfing the net for a little over 20 years and been playing PC games for a few years longer than that. I also love cooking and creating recipes and music...I'm a former musician/songwriter and DJ.

Used to use PROFS Notes on the IBM mainframe, which was our first email.  :tup:

Skhilled

Quote from: admin on November 14, 2010, 09:55:45 AM
Hello m8, and welcome to CC.  :tup:

Hope you find some handy tips on here if not just ask.  ;)  You've probably noticed we have a couple of members you recognise, Jeza, and Underdog have been over and helped me with a couple of things, arcade related.

Still running older versions on here at the moment, and will upgrade when SMF goes gold.  ;)

Regrds

Mick aka lurk

Hey, lurk. Yes, I've found some useful tips and links...bookmarked them all. I'm already a member of www.cambridgeincolour.com, joined about 3 weeks or so ago. Great tutorials there.

SMF keeps making too many bad changes. Now they've gone back to the previous editor with the bad BBC codes and URL link bugs. :(

Quote from: picsfor on November 14, 2010, 03:02:48 PM
Always good to see new members. The more the merrier, and the greater contribution to discussions and help questions...

Thanks, picsfor. :)

Quote from: Oldboy on November 14, 2010, 03:17:00 PM
Quote from: Skhilled on November 13, 2010, 06:32:52 PM

I haven't even heard of PROFS Notes in ages. LOL I still have software in my attic from the late 80's on 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 in floppies! I may even have a 8 in laying around somewhere. I know I have copies of Win 3 etc., lots of old games, and maybe some C64 software.
Nikon D3000

Oldboy

Quote from: Skhilled on November 14, 2010, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on November 14, 2010, 03:17:00 PM

I haven't even heard of PROFS Notes in ages. LOL I still have software in my attic from the late 80's on 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 in floppies! I may even have a 8 in laying around somewhere. I know I have copies of Win 3 etc., lots of old games, and maybe some C64 software.

I've still got a PC with Windows 3.1 and Dos 6 on it. Xerox Laser printers like the 4890's still use 5 1/4 floppies to reboot the OP system, and I was using them in 2007. At work we had a IBM PC that only had drives A and B with no harddrive C. They were used for networking.  :o

Skhilled

LOL, I think I can probably dig up some DOS versions...probably back to 3.0 or 3.1. I do know that I have Windows for Workgroups 3.11 somewhere. I also have a dot matrix printer and an old IBM laser sitting around...can't remember the models.

I've beta tested a lot of software, Windows 95, 98 and ME; AOL, a lot of the old shareware games (I still play some of those), some commercial games like Atari's Test Drive series, and a lot of other ones. I still beta test web software and the occasional game or 2.
Nikon D3000

picsfor

blimey - another oldie.

The young 'uns have missed so much with all that primitive technology.

Hair pulling, screaming, bulletin boards, high phone bills, unreliable internet access, networking that was some what suspect - and the original and still the best form of technical support...

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

Skhilled

Yeah, "surfing the net" meant phone dialing into someone else's PC, while incurring long distance charges, just to get the latest game. LOL
Nikon D3000

jeza

Hello Steve, you get about dontcha
:)

Oh and sorry for the late reply
:(

Mick

He sure does lol..  ;)

jeza, you have a pm.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Skhilled

With 20 years of surfing the net I'm bound to get to every site sooner or later. LOL
Nikon D3000

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.