• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 30
  • Total: 30
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Do you or would you help others with their photography?

Started by Beaux Reflets, January 25, 2013, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple

Quote from: Reinardina on January 26, 2013, 08:47:30 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on January 25, 2013, 09:18:11 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on January 25, 2013, 08:38:19 PM

Not up to giving advice, and when I comment on a photo it is hardly ever a technical comment, unless the horizon is so wonky even I can see it. (And I have problems seeing straight lines!)

Hmmm not sure this helps the topic evolve, but I'm not going to wipe it now!

When you comment on a photo it's your opinion, but that may still be a technical comment. For example, you might say a picture is too dark or light for your taste, but that is a technical comment as you are giving advice about how it should be corrected. Nothing wrong with that as that is how we learn. When you are in the same position, remembering your own advice you will adjust your camera to get the best picture. My point is, you don't have to be a 'expert' to give advice, just the honest truth as you see it. Your opinion still counts regardless of your experience.  :tup:

Hmmm yes ... But (here we go again!) I remember photos I took, when I first discovered digital photography, that totally bowled me over. When I look at some of them now, I shudder!
Now, just imagine someone as green in photography terms as I was then, taking my opinion as gospel truth, because I managed to give the impression I knew what I was talking about ...
That person might still be making the mistakes I made in those days.

A single persons opinion is what it is. I am sure my opinion on pictures depends on my mood, well being and experience. The more opinions you gather the more valid the points become. If one person tells me my pictures are over saturated I will look and probably change nothing, but if I get that comment on a regular basis I know I am doing something wrong.

Beryl

Quote I've joined the RPS with a view to getting my 'L'...Quote

What do you mean by  "view to getting my 'L'..." ?
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

ABERS

Quote from: Simple on January 26, 2013, 10:39:54 AM

.... but if I get that comment on a regular basis I know I am doing something wrong.

According to who? You may like the pictures as they are otherwise you wouldn't have published them, that's your presentation of them, your unique style. Why should you take notice of that criticism?

ABERS

Quote from: Beryl on January 26, 2013, 09:31:32 PM

Have a look at

http://www.rps.org/distinctions-introduction

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on January 26, 2013, 10:17:47 PM
Quote from: Beryl on January 26, 2013, 09:31:32 PM

Have a look at

http://www.rps.org/distinctions-introduction

Having read a wee bit about these destinctions   

"Please note: Only members of The Royal Photographic Society are entitled to hold a Distinction; if, therefore, your
membership lapses, you should stop using the letters after your name. It is usually possible, however, to rejoin and
have your Distinction re-instated for a small additional administration fee."

:2funny:

What is the point?  Quite frankly I just cannot be bothered! Lets face it, if you have earned letters after your name for your ability and understanding in photography you have earned them!

I will carry on enjoying, learning and building upon my photographic skills and abilities regardless  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on January 27, 2013, 06:45:55 AM

What is the point?  Quite frankly I just cannot be bothered! Lets face it, if you have earned letters after your name for your ability and understanding in photography you have earned them!

I will carry on enjoying, learning and building upon my photographic skills and abilities regardless  :tup:

Of course, the whole point of the distinctions is to act as a target or challenge  to reach a level in your photographic endeavours. To offer your work up for scrutiny by recognised and accomplished photographers. You are not required to use any letters after your name if you do not wish to, many people don't, they are just satisfied with having attained which ever level they have aimed for.

The RPS runs workshops to help photographers towards the attainment of such distinctions so it is an ongoing and positive two-way connection towards improvement.

My club is a great advocate of engaging in such activity and it is quite remarkable how the work of participants come on leaps and bounds when they take part and become successful in achieving a distinction.

Your response is not unusual and understandable after reading just a wee bit about the distinctions. ;)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on January 27, 2013, 09:07:55 AM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on January 27, 2013, 06:45:55 AM

Of course, the whole point of the distinctions is to act as a target or challenge  to reach a level in your photographic endeavours. To offer your work up for scrutiny by recognised and accomplished photographers. You are not required to use any letters after your name if you do not wish to, many people don't, they are just satisfied with having attained which ever level they have aimed for.

The RPS runs workshops to help photographers towards the attainment of such distinctions so it is an ongoing and positive two-way connection towards improvement.

My club is a great advocate of engaging in such activity and it is quite remarkable how the work of participants come on leaps and bounds when they take part and become successful in achieving a distinction.

Your response is not unusual and understandable after reading just a wee bit about the distinctions. ;)

I appreciate the aspect of a target or challenge. Just as I appreciate viewing and can see the merit in the work of accomplished photographers. In truth I would like to become an accomplished or recognised photographer one day.

But (to quote more from the wee bit I read)

"We welcome applications from non-members for the Licentiateship. When submitting, you must complete the nonmember section of the application form and include the appropriate membership subscription. If you are successful
with your Distinction application, your membership will be processed automatically as it is necessary to be a member of
The Society before a Distinction can be awarded."

Quite frankly, just as I never enter competitions that charge a fee, on the same principal, I would not put money before my photography just to get a pat on the back.

;)

I well imagine there are many fantastic photographers who go unrecognised throughout the world (due to circumstance and or principle) and if I become one of those that is fine by me; as I have enough folk commenting and or thanking me for my inspirational shots and will continue to enjoy sharing in the constant learning curve of the Art.  ;D

Delamanda

I don't want to start a row ... but I have to put my two-penneth worth in here.  I joined the RPS three years ago and , photographically speaking, it has been the best move I've made.  Not only is achieving a distinction very satisfying (and really good in terms of self-discipline and working towards goals) but I have had a lot of fun.  I've meant some wonderful people, rubbed shoulders and dined with some of my photographic heroes (well, the living ones ...) and learned a lot, just by talking to people who know so much more than I'll ever know.  So, I'm with Abers on this one  :tup:

Beaux Reflets

No row from my point of view Delamanda. And I have said before, I doff my cap to those who see and reap accolades etc., through their work. I do not under estimate the work of the RPS or knock those who strive and achieve down that route.

It is just not the way I am likely to go, and in that, just maybe I am setting myself a harder target, while remaining as open as I can to learning more and more, putting it into practice and hopefully advancing as I go.

Paul Montgomery

I see RPS as more than a competition. In my eyes its the same as any other body striving to achieve a level of excellence in its field.

As an electrical engineer I've convinced the IET that I'm of a suitable standard and may use MIET after my name. This is conditional (amongst other things) on my remaining a member of said organisation (for a fee...). The same applies to doctors (GMC) and teachers (GTC) and other professional bodies.

skellum

I achieved my LRPS a few years ago now, something I will always be proud of and would recommend to any photographer. To me it was a way of finding out if I had reached a level which my peers would appreciate and not just family, friends and joe public.

Any photographic organisation requires membership and fees so the RPS is no different. The attainment of any distinction from the RPS is not for the sake of a pat on the back and if your work is not up to the required standard you will be asked to try again and offered as much help as possible from the Society to achieve your goal. 

I have been a working professional photographer for a few years now and always use LRPS after my name in all related correspondence. In fact it has helped and impressed a few people along the way especially when asked what it stands for ' Licentiate Royal Photographic Society '

There is no such thing as a ' Qualified ' photographer, I believe it to be a never ending learning curve but having been through the process of a RPS distinction  I can honestly say it has been a great help to me.

My certificate hangs proudly along side pictures displayed in my shop and I would hopefully one day be able to achieve 'FRPS'   Here is a link to my submitted panel  http://www.lancashirephotography.com/#/royal-photographic/4527970527  and good luck to Paul   :tup:

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Paul Montgomery on January 27, 2013, 12:11:03 PM
I see RPS as more than a competition. In my eyes its the same as any other body striving to achieve a level of excellence in its field.

As an electrical engineer I've convinced the IET that I'm of a suitable standard and may use MIET after my name. This is conditional (amongst other things) on my remaining a member of said organisation (for a fee...). The same applies to doctors (GMC) and teachers (GTC) and other professional bodies.

Indeed so do I. I also fully realise the reality that organisations, business, education etc., need finance to operate effectively, as well as the fact that destinctions and qualifications add a wee bit of clout for any field in career you are in.

But we have digressed  ;) And for a variety of reasons many photographers cannot for what ever their reason (even self confidence) contemplate the RPS route initially (if that is the summit they wish to reach).

My reason for this thread was to try and get things buzzing and find ways of increasing membership to help finance and growth to honour the initial intentions it was set up for.

Who knows reader's looking in may now have a different view  :-\ 

(And hopefully Mike will not pull the plug yet) 

Hinfrance

Quote from: Dave on January 27, 2013, 12:15:21 PM
I achieved my LRPS a few years ago now, something I will always be proud of and would recommend to any photographer. To me it was a way of finding out if I had reached a level which my peers would appreciate and not just family, friends and joe public.

Any photographic organisation requires membership and fees so the RPS is no different. The attainment of any distinction from the RPS is not for the sake of a pat on the back and if your work is not up to the required standard you will be asked to try again and offered as much help as possible from the Society to achieve your goal. 

I have been a working professional photographer for a few years now and always use LRPS after my name in all related correspondence. In fact it has helped and impressed a few people along the way especially when asked what it stands for ' Licentiate Royal Photographic Society '

There is no such thing as a ' Qualified ' photographer, I believe it to be a never ending learning curve but having been through the process of a RPS distinction  I can honestly say it has been a great help to me.

My certificate hangs proudly along side pictures displayed in my shop and I would hopefully one day be able to achieve 'FRPS'   Here is a link to my submitted panel  http://www.lancashirephotography.com/#/royal-photographic/4527970527  and good luck to Paul   :tup:

I hadn't realised that you have to submit large mounted prints for your Licenciateship. The cost of that alone is enough to stop me dead in my tracks. I certainly couldn't justify the annual sub on top of that as well.

I understand perfectly the value for you Dave, but for the likes of me it would be no more than an expensive indulgence.

Each to his own, eh?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 27, 2013, 04:48:57 PM
[
I hadn't realised that you have to submit large mounted prints for your Licenciateship. The cost of that alone is enough to stop me dead in my tracks. I certainly couldn't justify the annual sub on top of that as well.

I understand perfectly the value for you Dave, but for the likes of me it would be no more than an expensive indulgence.

Each to his own, eh?

You don't heed to submit prints Howard you can submit digital images on a CD.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.