• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 177
  • Total: 177
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

QOTD 23rd October - Camera Clubs

Started by spikeyjen, October 22, 2013, 11:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

Do you belong to a camera club?
What do you see as the advantages or disadvantages of being part of a club?

If you do belong to a club, what kind of activities/ outings/ speakers do you have?

donoreo

Quote from: spikeyjen on October 22, 2013, 11:52:10 PM
Do you belong to a camera club?
What do you see as the advantages or disadvantages of being part of a club?

If you do belong to a club, what kind of activities/ outings/ speakers do you have?
it is tomorrow there already :).

I am in a camera club for the second year.  I like the social atmosphere of a group that have something in common.  It is a great opportunity to learn from those more experienced.   The competitions and hearing the judges remarks are both helpful in leaning how to improve. 

We have speakers, usually professional photographers.  Last meeting it was a photojournalist from the Toronto Star.  We also  have outings to various places and sometimes for various techniques (ie we had one for HDR followed by a workshop to process the photos). Our outings have been to the zoo, various scenic locations and even a junk yard. 

It is nice on the outings to see how and of what  others are taking photos.  Everyone gives tips and help. 

ABERS

I'm a great advocate of clubs. It's there that most learning is achieved with close involvement with photographers of all abilities and specialities. One of the moans about forums is that critique and comment is lacking, not so in a club.

We meet once a week and have a varied programme of speakers, most interesting and entertaining and mostly photographers of experience and high ability. Mind you there is usually a plug to buy their books or go on their photographic courses. ;)

We also have five groups that meet on a monthly basis, Natural History, Pictorial, Digital, Studio and a group that meets to discuss and show their particular slant on photography.

There are two monthly competitions, one for newcomers/beginners and one for the more experienced photographers, annual competitions for the same classes, both in prints and and PDI's with lots of cups up for grabs.

We hold an annual non-selective two week long exhibition where every member can display a panel of their choice.

So all in all it's a very active and sociable club.

One proviso. Club judges are to be taken notice of, but and it's a BIG BUT, be careful you don't turn into a club photographer and just take pictures to please the judge. Make sure you take pictures (a) to please yourself and (b) to bend all the rules.

spikeyjen

Thanks for the replies...
Abers, you must have a big club for a weekly meeting and 5 groups.
I belong to a local country club of just 50 members, with an increasing numbers of 'beginners' joining. We also have a monthly competition (2 X prints and 2 X EDPI) which is judged by a state level judge. We find it really hard to get speakers due to distance and a mid week meeting, but can always find something of interest (such as a 'still life' shoot, night shoots, DVD's).
We also do a monthly 'activity' and over the last year we have been to the historic races, chasing the perfect canola field, to the snow, autumn colors, a portrait shoot with the local city band, a historic jail etc) where we have lots of fun, good food.
I agree that most of the 'learning' has to happen at club level and I certainly agree that you should never think that any judge is RIGHT - unless he give you top marks!!!

Markulous

I've successfully avoided clubs as I see far too much that's negative about them! But I've always gone out with other non-club like-minded 'togs and I reckon gained more than I could possibly from a club - off tomorrow with an exceptional landscape photographer mate for more experience/tips
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

ABERS

Quote from: Markulous on October 23, 2013, 11:01:58 AM
I've successfully avoided clubs as I see far too much that's negative about them! But I've always gone out with other non-club like-minded 'togs and I reckon gained more than I could possibly from a club - off tomorrow with an exceptional landscape photographer mate for more experience/tips

Be interested to know what you see 'negative' about them. Usually prospective members are given a few weeks before making up their minds whether to join or not,most do, but some realise that the club environment is not for them.

I don't  like  kidneys, mind you I've never tried them.    ;)

jinky

My only club experience is through what started as a Flickr group - Flickr Leeds. Not very active now as it has migrated to Facebook and it`s own website Exposure Leeds http://exposureleeds.org/
Lots of show and tell type stuff, group learning through other members teaching skills - eg this weekend we have a 2 day Photocamp in a local warehouse of a place where there will be a load of sessions run by "experts" on green screen work, photobook production, macro work, portraits, getting into business, still life, strobism, event coverage and more. Should have been going but got a wedding to cover in Stratford which will pay for my next holiday so needs must  ;). We do photowalks locally and beyond too so a great mix. No comps but lots of support and suits me. Monthly meet up that draws in 60-100 people in a local gallery where we have also been allowed to exhibit. Monthly click `n sup supposedly around shooting in town then a drink but usually ends up just being a drink. the more I write the more I wonder why I`bve not found time to attend the last 2/3 months ???

Markulous

Quote from: ABERS on October 23, 2013, 12:10:16 PM
Quote from: Markulous on October 23, 2013, 11:01:58 AM

Be interested to know what you see 'negative' about them. Usually prospective members are given a few weeks before making up their minds whether to join or not,most do, but some realise that the club environment is not for them.

I don't  like  kidneys, mind you I've never tried them.    ;)

You're right, I should try one but too many like-minded friends have and are put off by them for various reasons but old fashioned, dogmatic and arrogant are three of the terms that come to mind
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

ABERS

Quote from: Markulous on October 25, 2013, 08:02:50 AM
You're right, I should try one but too many like-minded friends have and are put off by them for various reasons but old fashioned, dogmatic and arrogant are three of the terms that come to mind

I'll keep an eye out for those old fashioned dogmatic arrogant members next week, I'm sure there are one or two about, as in any club or association. Your like minded friends obviously have a nose for finding them.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.