• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

70-200mm / 2.8

Started by Sarasocke, December 07, 2009, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I've been looking at some of the faster zooms for a D300s (to be bought in January :)). The Nikon at approx 1600 euros is expensive against the Tamron at around 600 and Sigma 650 euros.

Is the Nikon lense really 1000 euros better ?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Zenmer

In a single word YES

It's far faster at focusing, image quality is superb as is build quality and I have tried the Sigma version which it outshines by a long way.
Have you considered looking for a decent 2nd hand one, if you are happy with the Mk 1 version t5here are loads coming on the market at the moment due to people upgrading.

It's the one lens that I wouldn't part with
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

jinky

I had the same debate a few months back. I suspect the Nikon is superior - though the new version is supposed to be better on full frame. I decided on the Sigma in the end cos I got a deal of the Sigma with a 2x converter from WE for £625 and must say  have been delighted with the sharpness and performance of it since. I dream of getting a D700 in the new year depending on what other things I do and was saying in Jacob's in Leeds about needing to get the Nikon so as not to show up the Siggy but they were saying that in their own shop tests the siggy was pretty close in performance and the extra outlay might not be warranted. I shot a wedding with Fizzio of the old DC mag site a few months back and he and his mate shot my mate`s wedding last month and he has stuck with his siggy on a 5dmk2 because it compared so well with the Canon equivalent, again for much more. Why not hold on and do some test shots in the camera shop with them both when you have the new body and see.

picsfor

Quote from: jinky on December 07, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
he has stuck with his siggy on a 5dmk2 because it compared so well with the Canon equivalent, again for much more.

If it can hold its own a 5D MkII it bust be an extremely competent lens. As i have said before - the 5D MkII is a lens breaker.
Anything but the best will be exposed severely by this body!

greypoint

The Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 is a great bargain and I personally preferred it to the sigma ...but....that was in Pentax fit. The focussing mechanism is apparently different on Pentax and, given Pentax AF is'nt the fastest [although very accurate!] the Tamron/K20D combo I had last year was brilliant. When i returned to Nikon I found a nikon fit one at a good price but sold it quite quickly as it was pretty useless for all but static subjects due to the really really slow AF. I had one of the earlier sigma 70-200mm which was pretty good - reviews seem to rate the earlier one above the later macro version.

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on December 07, 2009, 12:34:02 PM
I've been looking at some of the faster zooms for a D300s (to be bought in January :)). The Nikon at approx 1600 euros is expensive against the Tamron at around 600 and Sigma 650 euros.

Is the Nikon lense really 1000 euros better ?

In a word, Yes! The Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR is a solid built lens with weather sealing that will cope with any weather extremes. Until the new Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR was launched you didn't find any of these lenses on the secondhand market, those that did appear were sold within days at almost the price new. Just checked Mifsuds and they have one for £1,349 and Greys has three between £1,485 to £1,425 and brand new the price is £1,510. I use mine about 95% of the time. You can put Nikon converters on them from 1.4, 1.7 and 2x with the AF and VR still working giving you up-to 400mm at F5.6.  :tup:

Zenmer

It's strange how the 2 of us that have the lens say yes   :2funny:
When out on forum meets mine is often borrowed if I'm not using and almost without exception the borrower goes onto buy their own  ;) must say something
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

Oldboy

Quote from: Zenmer on December 07, 2009, 02:50:29 PM
It's strange how the 2 of us that have the lens say yes   :2funny:
When out on forum meets mine is often borrowed if I'm not using and almost without exception the borrower goes onto buy their own  ;) must say something

True, but the best bit is mine is worth more now than when I brought it.  :2funny:

greypoint

way out of the price range of many of us though! :-\ 8)

Zenmer

Quote from: Oldboy on December 07, 2009, 03:49:03 PM
True, but the best bit is mine is worth more now than when I brought it.  :2funny:

So's mine  8) but I still ain't selling it

alan1572

Even with my limited knowledge and or ability, I wouldn't leave home without it, it's a fantastic lens even if it's naturally a bit heavy, it gives the impression that even I know what i'm doing. ;D
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

greypoint

Yes - but it does come down to budget. Another alternative with good optics is the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 - I had an old one when I was using a D70 and it was pretty sharp and readily available second hand. If we're talking a good lens for dog photography it might be worth a look at the Sigma 50-150 - I used one with my Fuji S5Pro and D90 and it's a good range for general purpose and portrait dog stuff - nice and quick to focus and much lighter than a 70/80-200mm.

some 50-150 stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/72157609576465248/

some tamron stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/72157607272018577/

Jonathan

Quote from: greypoint on December 07, 2009, 05:05:20 PM
Yes - but it does come down to budget. Another alternative with good optics is the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 - I had an old one when I was using a D70 and it was pretty sharp and readily available second hand.

Absolutely.  Some people rate the 80-200 higher than the 70-200 (though MTF charts reckon they are very very similar) and if you want the bargain of the week then jump over to Fixation.  http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Sales.html - they have one at £275 + vat.  Which is astonishing.  I bought mne second hand and it's now with its 4th owner being used hard week in week out.  If I was offered mine back for £275 I'd buy it......
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

hmmm, Jonathan, that is really interesting. I'm certainly not fixed on 70-200, 80-200 is OK too :)
I can't see if they would ship to Germany, maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.
I was thinking of buying the lense early next year, but that certainly seems to be a bargain.

I've never bought anything second hand - has anyone ever had any bad experience ?

Had a look in Ebay, in Germany there was nothing, just this in the UK http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260518450089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and a few in Japan and such.

Thanks for the info Sue - it's really difficult to know what to do for the best.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

Quote from: Sarasocke on December 07, 2009, 07:03:24 PM
I've never bought anything second hand - has anyone ever had any bad experience ?

Lots of people :)

I tend to trust Fixation though.  This is a commission sale - so they won't warranty it but usually wouldn't sell it if they didn't think it was a good lens.  (In case you don't know - Fixation is one of the most respected pro camera repairers in the UK).  You could ask them what it's like and even have them service it before they ship it.  It will probably have had pro use but they are built for that.

Worth asking which type it is though - there were many versions of the 80 - 200.  Most people prefer the 2 touch but at this price it may be the 1 touch (my guess is it's this one - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm - please ignore Kenny's opinions :) )
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.