• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

MIKSANG

Started by Simple, October 23, 2016, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple

Most people on here have seen my pictures and most of my pics are "postcard" shots. I struggle to come up with abstract and out of the box type images. In my search to find subjects out of my comfort zone, I came across MIKSANG. I never heard of this and wondered if any of you have? If you know of anybody practicing this with their photography?? Or if you think it is a load of codswallop or a higher state of artistic expression?? Google the word "MIKSANG" if you want to know more and I love to hear your opinions.   

Alfonso_Frisk

Well I have googled it, read a few definitions, looked at some examples and I can honestly say I am no wiser apart from reading that some people pay to attend courses on the subject.
I now need a nap.
Will revisit later.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Simple

Haha, That is as far as I got, so I thought I put it to this knowledgeable forum!!

Hinfrance

Had a look too.

It is highly restrictive, which is in direct contrast the stated aim "to bring the observer back into the original contemplation state of the author of the picture". You're welcome. Basically it is photographing simple detail with preferably highly contracting bold colours. No monochrome.

ie: picture of the toecap of a red shoe on a blue ground; two or three yellow pipes diagonally crossing a dark green colour field.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time on what appears to be nothing more than cod philosophy.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Looks like the sort of thing I have been doing for years: photographing striking, eye catching details of 'things.'

Like this:

Or this:

Or this maybe? (I am not quite sure what it is supposed to be; it is all shrouded in jargon.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

The way I now look at this is "abstract photography", but they have given it a name to justify their failings?
Not that I call your pics failures Reinardina, I quite like them.

Reinardina

Quote from: Simple on October 24, 2016, 09:44:39 AM
The way I now look at this is "abstract photography", but they have given it a name to justify their failings?
Not that I call your pics failures Reinardina, I quite like them.

Glad you like them.

I think in Japan they do not have a simple description like 'Abstract Photography,' and use a more fluid, poetic description.
Someone spotted it, and thought he/she had discovered a totally new style of photography. And of course, people do not want to show their ignorance, by pointing out it is actually old hat, as maybe they are missing something.
The Emperor's clothes spring to mind.

StephenBatey

From the "Learn Miksang" on the miksang.com opening page, it appears to describe what Edward Weston (and many others) did. Use your eyes to see, don't use your mind to dismiss anything as beneath really looking at, and then find the best way to show to others what you've seen and they've missed.

Going from theory to practice, I've only glanced at one gallery, but formed the impression that it's not about looking in a disinterested way, it's about looking for things that can be shoehorned into a particular image recipe.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

None of your examples look like miksang, as I understand it, Re. 1 and 3 are too 'busy' and 2 has black in it.

I'm not sure I've ever taken a photo that would fit the bill, but I'll have a look. As I said, very restrictive . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Oh dear, I did not read the full  description. Maybe I didn't use this discipline unwittingly.

Simple

Well, I am none the wiser, but with the amount of words needed to describe it, I believe that if you think it is miksang, it probably is........

Hinfrance

. .  or possibly isn't . . .  :2funny:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Its a (fairly) interesting  photography related subject though.
Keep them coming.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.