• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 169
  • Total: 169
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Mount board cutters

Started by irv_b, December 01, 2010, 07:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

Hi all
as the title suggests I am looking for a decent mount board cutter and was wondering if any of you good people use one. Up till now I am using a stanley knife and although ok its not quite right and time consuming. So which would you recommend, its mainly for the prints I display in the camera club competitions and for my sons future graphic art pieces
Cheers Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

krennon

Irv I've got a Jessops mount cutter that has an angled blade, i've only used it on a couple of small mounts and it worked ok, good art shops tend to sell them for between £10.00 and £20.00 quid and it's always worth buying a pack of spare blades....and get a metal ruler to cut along the line (if you haven't already got one) other than that I can't comment just thought I'd throw in some food for thought....the other thing is to buy them pre-cut

http://www.merlinmounts.co.uk/Products/Single/single_mount_s001.htm Found this one but not used them but prices look reasonable or
I know these guys have a good rep www.CotswoldMounts.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on December 01, 2010, 07:27:22 PM
Hi all
as the title suggests I am looking for a decent mount board cutter and was wondering if any of you good people use one. Up till now I am using a stanley knife and although ok its not quite right and time consuming. So which would you recommend, its mainly for the prints I display in the camera club competitions and for my sons future graphic art pieces
Cheers Irv

You can get one of those at Staples: http://www.staples.co.uk/searchEngine.aspx  :tup:

Just Dave

Hi

I use a The Logan 2000 Push-Style Clicky Linky had it for years works well
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

SimonW

I agree those tools are OK, especially used with a good strong ruler with a thickish edge. You just can't cut at 45 degree angle with a stanley knife. But you MUST protect your work surface by using scrap mountboard below, or even better, a proper self-healing cutting mat, best a bit larger than the largest mount you intend to make. You'll find it so much better than scrap board it's an excellent investment.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

skellum

Hello Irv,

For all the effort and mistakes these tools present I would e.mail this company  www.frithandcompany.com   who I now use and can highly recommend. They do say they will cut the mounts to any size and are reasonably priced. 

ABERS

I use the Logan Team System, which I find easy to use and accurate and clean in its cut.

You can find it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logan-System-Mount-Cutter-Model/dp/B000OVW15W.

Most good art shops stock the range, well the one on Kingston does! Pullingers is the name and I think they have several branches in the S.E.

Using a Stanley knife you need to factor in the costs of

A tournquet , mutipacks of Elastoplast, four units of 'O'neg and a taxi ride to A&E! :o

Hinfrance

I got mine from HERE Irv.

Works perfectly, the metal ruler with the guide to hold the cutter is the only way I have managed to avoid involuntarily cutting curved edges :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sandy

At camera club we had a speaker from the Isle Of Wight and he demonstrated the Longridge Trio mount board cutters. They were very expensive but looked very interesting. He had also shown these at the focus show.

Sandy 

irv_b

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys although there are so many I still don't which one to get (H your link didn't work btw :( ) but at least it seems I wont have to buy a expensive one to get good results ;D
cheers Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.