• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 135
  • Total: 135
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT: THE BEST IN SHOW

Started by ABERS, August 18, 2013, 07:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on August 30, 2013, 10:39:50 PM
Does she critique EVERYTHING????????????????
Qué?

Till now there have only been two 'she's' in this discussion: one who wants critiques, and one who does not feel experienced enough to give critiques.
Am I missing something?    ???

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 31, 2013, 10:49:38 AM
Yes, Alan's better half!

Oh! Of course! How stupid not to see that!

Sorry Chris, totally misunderstood you.   :uglystupid2:

spikeyjen

thank you all for your email and replies, and I do apologise if it appears that I have over-reacted. I have read back over the thread and mused upon the replies, and I think the issue here is the word 'critique' as opposed to providing support, making suggestions, and giving others new ideas/ angles/ Photoshop tips or whatever. This is something that I believe everyone has the capacity to do, and to do nicely.

I have left my opinions with one of the moderators and next weekend will be heading off into the sunset for a 4 week holiday, driving across Australia (and the Nullarbor Plains), camping out under the stars, navel gazing to find the meaning of life, reading endless photo mags that have been stacked up around my house and then will attend the APS (Australian Photographic Society) annual conference.
I will pop back in when I return.

Reinardina

Quote from: spikeyjen on September 01, 2013, 08:13:53 AM
thank you all for your email and replies, and I do apologise if it appears that I have over-reacted. I have read back over the thread and mused upon the replies, and I think the issue here is the word 'critique' as opposed to providing support, making suggestions, and giving others new ideas/ angles/ Photoshop tips or whatever. This is something that I believe everyone has the capacity to do, and to do nicely.

I have left my opinions with one of the moderators and next weekend will be heading off into the sunset for a 4 week holiday, driving across Australia (and the Nullarbor Plains), camping out under the stars, navel gazing to find the meaning of life, reading endless photo mags that have been stacked up around my house and then will attend the APS (Australian Photographic Society) annual conference.
I will pop back in when I return.

You may well have hit the nail on the head here.
Words again!

A suggestion of maybe trying something in mono, is a long way away from a full blown critique!

Enjoy your holiday

Hinfrance

Have a wonderful break Jen, see you when you get home.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Some striking photographs this week making it hard to select a favourite.

In the end I voted for Reinardina's Madonna; A refreshingly different soft portrait, enhanced by the gentle attention provided to the lip detail.  :tup:

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

OK, quick up and down then:

Up - The Power of Three: I like blue, and I liked the double triple as it were, the three birds on three wires. Strong diagonal. I'm afraid it didn't strike me as having a lot of impact, probably because of the large amount of empty space and the fact that the birdies are so small in the frame.

Down - Exercise in Blue and Red. This, on the other hand, kapow! impact. Deceptively simple, powerful direct colours and presented in an exhibition style. Definitely the kind of image that would wow real world judges I reckon.

My vote this week went to Poker, although it could easily have been Graham's muso or Alan's stunner at the drop of a hat too.

Just my musings, of course.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Thank you for your critique Howard.

I was indeed purposely exploring the relationship of the two threes and took a series of shots from different places on the ground in the hope that something might spring or gel together. I particularly wanted the strong diagonal lead in , and finally settle on getting the pole arms as near to the edge of the frame as looked comfortable in camera, so that the starlings were nearer the centre of the composition.

I guess I may be relying on the title The Power of Three too much  :-\ 

But when looking at the balance of imagery within the composition, I felt my eyes were being sent to and fro between the birds and the glass insulation rings, as if the pole arms or power lines were animated in some way (although looking at my other shots, the lighter sky areas are also helping such in the illusion). Hence my decision to upload it into the comp.

Having had a comment (on FB) that it had made someone smile when they saw it, I guess they had experienced similar in observation.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

There you go Andy, it's all in the eye of the beholder  8)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 02, 2013, 03:15:01 PM
There you go Andy, it's all in the eye of the beholder  8)

Isn't it always thus?

Thanks for the lovely critique Andy!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.