• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 44
  • Total: 44
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

payment at last

Started by alan1572, August 21, 2010, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

Quote from: Oldboy on August 21, 2010, 07:52:45 PM
As to which ones to get then suggest the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 but might be a bit expensive at just under £1,200. Greys of Westminister have a 35-70mm F2.8 secondhand at £395.

the 2nd hand price is fine, it'll be quite the investment, just need to pluck up the courage to buy them
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Oldboy

Quote from: alan1572 on August 21, 2010, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on August 21, 2010, 07:52:45 PM
As to which ones to get then suggest the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 but might be a bit expensive at just under £1,200. Greys of Westminister have a 35-70mm F2.8 secondhand at £395.

the 2nd hand price is fine, it'll be quite the investment, just need to pluck up the courage to buy them

I know, that's why I suggested secondhand AIS lenses. Also, check out Mifsuds.  :tup:

alan1572

what about these?
Nikon Nikkor 24-85mm F2.8/4 AF-D IF
Sigma lens AF 17-70mm 2.8-4.0 DC

Eileen

Glad the payment has been sorted out for you Alan.

Nikon have just announced a new 24-120 f/4, designed as a general purpose carry-round lens for the D700. It is expensive and won't be ine the shops for a few weeks, but may be worth considering. When I first bought my D700 there wasn't a good value standard zoom available and I thought the new 24-70 both very expenive and a bit of a beast of a lens for a standard zoom so I bought an older Sigma (28-70mm) and a 24mm prime. The prime lens was fine but the Sigma, designed as a film lens, vignettes very badly at its widest on the D700 and has cost me a few pictures. So I'd caution against investing in an older 2nd hand lens unless you can try it in the shop to be sure that you're happy with it.

As for plucking up the courage to buy - I understand where you're coming from but the D700 is a wonderful camera. Even if you're not into taking pictures in dimly-lit interiors, being able to have an extra stop or two of latitude can make the difference between getting that macro or other outdoor image or a blurry miss.

Graham

Quote from: Eileen on August 22, 2010, 12:24:19 PM
Even if you're not into taking pictures in dimly-lit interiors, being able to have an extra stop or two of latitude can make the difference between getting that macro or other outdoor image or a blurry miss.
I'll second that, I'm quite happy to use 800 or even 1600 as my "Walk about" setting.
                             Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

What Eileen said.

Nobody's seen it yet and it may look very dull on paper but I bet that new 24-120 will be loverly on the D700.

Boring but lovely ;)

@Graham - 4 digit ISO?  Wuss.
It's Guest's round

Graham

Jonathan. I am not a wuss! I'm just careful! ;)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

alan1572

Quote from: Graham on August 23, 2010, 06:05:55 PM
   Jonathan. I am not a wuss! I'm just careful! ;)

consider your d300 sold...pm sent :)

Graham

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.