• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 125
  • Total: 125
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

which combination

Started by soltek, April 30, 2008, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soltek

ok, iv got my new nikon d80 body only :beer:, i was wondering which is the best combination of lens i should go for .
first. 18/200 not sure whether to go for the nikon or sigma the nikon is f3.5-5.6 and sigma f.5-6.3 quite slow at the top end, these are VR and OS LENS, ofcourse the nikon is more expensive i could afford it at a push.

OR nikon 18/55 and the 55/200 i think both lens come in at f3.5 and 5.6 faster zoom. so is it better to have two lenses or one i,m thinking if i only use one lens over the full range i may cut down on dust on the sensor just my thoughts

i have read that it is better to have two lenses but i maybe getting confused with Prime lenses. :-\.

cheers :D

Simple

Hiya Soltek,
Your question is not really that easy to answer. It all depends.......
What sort of photography are you into. How serious a hobby do you want it to be, Are you happy with taking holiday pictures, or do you want to make challenging pictures in challenging situations as a serious hobbyiest? Do you perhaps want to make a bit of income from your camera and sell pictures/cards etc.
Holliday snaps ---- go for the 18-200.
VR and OS lenses are nice, but you cannot beat a fast lens. (better even a fast lens with VR and OS) but more pricey.
All the people I know who got into photography upgraded their lenses at one stage. Most of them thought "I should have bought that (better) lens in the first place."
I have heard very good things on the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (the Macro version is I believe around £240) It is not very wide and not very long, but pinsharp and f2.8 is fast!! If landscape is your thing you can always save up for the Sigma 10-20. Or if you prefer longer lenses get a fast 70-200. Ideally you win the lottery and buy the Nikon 70-200VR f2.8 lens but I assume that is way over budget at the mo.
You can ofcourse buy the 18-200 (which will outperform the 18-55 for sure) and than if you get the photography bug sell it on e-bay and buy the better/faster lenses when you come into some money, but that is ultimately more expensive. IMO buy the 24-70 f2.8 (non macro £200 if you can get it) and learn everything about your nice D80 with that, save and buy another good lens.
(hope it makes a bit of sense)
Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.