• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 173
  • Total: 173
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Can my 15-85 EF-S be repaired

Started by wavemachine, December 30, 2013, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavemachine

Had a mishap with my 7D today in that a strong gust of wind blew the camera over on it's tripod resulting in my EF-S 15-85 IS becoming badly scratched. The lens works fine still but the front element needs replacing so:-

Can this be done?

Recommendations for a repairer?

Any idea on cost?

The cheapest I can find the lens is £499 so I am hoping a repair will be viable.

Thanks
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Turn to the dark side, we have tea and biscuits

Oldboy

Yes it can be repaired. I assume you mean the front glass? If it's optical it may cost more or they may be able to polish it out. email Canon and they will point you at the nearest repaires near where you live.  :tup:

kerbside

I can totally recommend "Black & White" in Bristol, yeh, I know it is Bristol but sure there is a courier service and they will give you a cost before repair.

Had my mirror jam and they sorted it and an aperture thingamewhatsit broke in a lens, no problems and working great ever since.

Maybe of help, maybe not.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

wavemachine

Thanks guys, Oldboy I did give the lens a bit of a clean and it does look much better now so it may polish out.

Jeff I will give Black & White a bell and see what they say.
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Reinardina

Wavemachine, it's good to see you're still around. Where have you been hiding?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

wavemachine

Yep I am still around but have been busy of late selling prints at craft fairs etc, we have done 3 so far and it is going quite well.

I have had some great sales as well the most notable being a framed A1 image of a rose macro shot, to see one of my images that size finished in a frame is great.

It is just a side line but a very time intensive one as well, a great learning exercise and I have a framer who is as passionate about my work as  I am;)

I hope to start participating in Flickr/forum stuff again soon.

Happy New Year all
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Reinardina

Quote from: wavemachine on December 31, 2013, 10:38:58 AM
Yep I am still around but have been busy of late selling prints at craft fairs etc, we have done 3 so far and it is going quite well.

I have had some great sales as well the most notable being a framed A1 image of a rose macro shot, to see one of my images that size finished in a frame is great.

It is just a side line but a very time intensive one as well, a great learning exercise and I have a framer who is as passionate about my work as  I am;)

I hope to start participating in Flickr/forum stuff again soon.

Happy New Year all

That's wonderful news. I often consider doing that, yet never get round to it. Not being able to drive is also a bit of a problem.

Glad you are okay. Happy new Year to you and your womenfolk!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

StephenBatey

I'm certain that it can be repaired; the cost I'm less certain about.

I don't know if you've used the lens since cleaning it up, but it is possible that you may not think it worthwhile to repair. A lens can still deliver a surprisingly good image even when scratched (so good that you may not see any difference). What you will gain is extra flare (manifested as a lower contrast image) but even then perhaps no worse than a dusty filter.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

wavemachine

Thanks Stephen, now I have carefully cleaned the lens it doesn't look as bad, I have also found out it is going to cost £110 to replace the front glass with an approved Canon Lens repairer.

I think you are right I may get away with it although I am worried about flare showing up in sunsets/sunrises and also if I want to sell the lens later on.

Decisions decisions!
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

jinky

You could always try the old smooth peanut butter trick rubbing the lens carefully with a cloth which can remove small scrapes/ scratches but as Stephen says if it does not affect shots carry on.

WillyP

Check e-bay for a used one with a broken focus motor gear. It's pretty easy to remove the lens and replace. There are videos on you-tube on how to calibrate focus which involves removing the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZRN2mxajk

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.