• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Meteorologists?

Started by Graham, June 03, 2010, 12:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Can anyone out there explain the odd cloud effect in the right of this pic?
  We were on Kinder Scout which is large plateau of peat bog in the Peak District and it was very hot (still is!).

Graham.   :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

I'm going with a vapour trail of a passenger jet some time after it has flown on...

Graham

Hells teeth Andrew, that was quick!
  I thought that, it apears to have parted the sky to reveal the clouds beyond.
  I also have a pet theory about thermals rising of the peat. :-\
                Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

hevans

Was the cloud pattern somewhat matching the top of the plateau? If so, then it'd result from hot dry air rising from the plateau and shoving the other (lower) clouds aside. I'm guessing that the clouds on the furthest right are at higher altitudes?.

Graham

Jeez! Is'nt anyone at work today?
  Yes, that's kind of what I was thinking, it seemed so well defined as to be unnatural though.
  We met some Japanese chaps later on and they had also photographed it. (Great bunch of folks they were too.)
                            Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Malcolm1938

I'm no expert but it looks like something to do with the jetstream to me.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Malcolm1938

This is from Google images - you can see why I think the jet stream may be involved - Google Jet Stream cloud formations to see other examples.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Graham

Follow up:
                 On a whim last night at 10.30 I sent the picture to the Met Office. By 5.30 this morning I had this reply.

The formation is caused by a delicate process. The cloud is a thin sheet of Altocumulus at an estimated height of 18000 ft, and it was most likely, originally, one solid sheet of supercooled cloud droplets. Supercooled droplets are well below freezing (i.e. -10C to -18C) but remain in liquid form, unfrozen, usually because the air is so clean and ice has nothing to freeze onto (ie. like frost on a clean window selectively forms on scratches or dirt).

If a disturbance occurs within the cloud, such as a plane going through it (adding microscopic particles into the air), this can kick-start the process of freezing the particles. As they freeze, they form into small ice crystals or tiny snow-flakes, and then fall out of the atmosphere. The cloud is then no longer there. It then becomes a progressive process, as one ice crystal forms, it absorbs the moisture of the surrounding supercooled droptlets and dries the air out. The result is the cloud will slowly dissapear from the point at which the freezing process first started.

It can also be caused by descending air from aloft, drying out the cloud, and causing the droplets to evaporate.

This cloud formation is more popularly known as a "Hole-Punch cloud", which are widely photographed and on the internet.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Quote from: Graham on June 16, 2010, 05:53:09 AM
   Follow up:
                 On a whim last night at 10.30 I sent the picture to the Met Office. By 5.30 this morning I had this reply.

If a disturbance occurs within the cloud, such as a plane going through it (adding microscopic particles into the air), this can kick-start the process of freezing the particles. 
It can also be caused by descending air from aloft, drying out the cloud, and causing the droplets to evaporate.

This cloud formation is more popularly known as a "Hole-Punch cloud", which are widely photographed and on the internet.

oh well, i was partly right - a passenger did get a mention! Interesting explanation though - thanks for posting.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.