• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 184
  • Total: 184
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Back to Film ?

Started by skellum, August 11, 2011, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

As some of you will know I use Canon EOS 1Dn cameras which for Sports, Weddings & Portraits are ideal but because of the crop factor they are a bit limiting for landscapes, so I have acquired a Canon EOS 1 Film Camera.

Now you may think this is a backward step but it is a cost effective way to get full frame pictures and all my lenses fit the camera. I can get the films processed locally ( Negatives only ) for £ 4.00 then I will scan them through my Epson V500 Photo scaner.

So next time I am out on one of my Landscape Missions I will give it a go and shoot digital at the same time.

For those interested I have attached  pictures of the EOS 1 next to a EOS 1D..................wish me luck.. :legit:

Beryl

There are some clubs that will only alow member who use film . I think film is clearer but  I'd rsther have didital
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

anglefire

I think film is clearer if the exposure is spot on, the processing is spot on and the printing is spot on.

That happens about 1% of time, unless you pay a lot of money IMHO
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Quote from: anglefire on August 11, 2011, 11:13:38 PM
I think film is clearer if the exposure is spot on, the processing is spot on and the printing is spot on.

That happens about 1% of time, unless you pay a lot of money IMHO

I think you're being generous. I'd be a whole lot more expensive too if the market forces cause by digital and home printing hadn't brought the price down precipitously. I remember my photography instructor telling us, if we'd got one good shot out a 36 exposure roll (remember those?) we were doing well. My wife didn't agree. That said, I've thought about getting back into B&W film for Street life shots.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

Try as I might with all the technology and software I still can't get anything from a digital that looks like slightly pushed Tri-X printed grade 4 on Ilford multigrade.

But that's not clarity, that's feel ;)

I don't know for sure, but I'd have thought that to get the resolution of decent 120 or 645 film you'd need to spend Jonathan type money on a large format digital camera.

I had a friend years ago (lost touch now) who used to shoot gigs for a living. He reckoned that if he got one keeper from 500 he was doing well.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Lurking in the back of my wardrobe, in a beautiful metal case, is a Rollei SL66 along with a couple of lenses and a host of accessories, that I won in a competition back in the late 80's. The only thing that is missing is the battery charger. The battery is still there but I have no idea if it is in working order.
Every so often, a couple of times a year I get the case out and handle everything with loving care. I've tried to find a charger and a replacement battery to no avail. If I could I think I'd be using film once again on the odd occasion just as an exercise in nostalgia!

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on August 12, 2011, 07:55:59 AM
Lurking in the back of my wardrobe, in a beautiful metal case, is a Rollei SL66 along with a couple of lenses and a host of accessories, that I won in a competition back in the late 80's. The only thing that is missing is the battery charger. The battery is still there but I have no idea if it is in working order.
Every so often, a couple of times a year I get the case out and handle everything with loving care. I've tried to find a charger and a replacement battery to no avail. If I could I think I'd be using film once again on the odd occasion just as an exercise in nostalgia!

Try this place.  :tup:

Mr. Brian Mickleboro,
6 Fairway
Bishop's Stortford
Herts, CM23 5LT
Phone 01279 755862

Formerly of The Studio Workshop, London. Mr. Mickleboro is factory trained and has 30-40 years of experience in servicing Rollei cameras.

skellum

Hopefully the plan is not  to have to much wasted film as I intend to use the camera alongside digital for tripod mounted landscape shots which will give me a rough guide to the exposure via either the screen on the 1D or viewed through my laptop.
While the developing / processing is out of my control once I have the negatives the final results will be up to me. Anyway thats the plan I will keep you all informed and post a few shot here.

greypoint

Landscape is probably the main area where film is still  a viable option as it's all about getting the right position/angle at the right time/right exposure - with 36 goes it should be possible to get more than the odd one right  ;D

ABERS

Quote from: Oldboy on August 12, 2011, 08:26:25 AM
Quote from: ABERS on August 12, 2011, 07:55:59 AM

Try this place.  :tup:

Mr. Brian Mickleboro,
6 Fairway
Bishop's Stortford
Herts, CM23 5LT
Phone 01279 755862

Formerly of The Studio Workshop, London. Mr. Mickleboro is factory trained and has 30-40 years of experience in servicing Rollei cameras.

Thanks for the info Oldboy :tup:

Reinardina

I read recently that youngsters are now getting into using film. As a novelty. So who knows, there might be a revival of the whole film thing.

In the film days, I mainly shot holiday and family shots that were, most of the time, very good. Compared to other people's holiday shots that is! I had a decent Minolta semi automatic, I did pay attention to composition and I had a steady hand. That made you a champion photographer in the circles I inhabited in those days!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

krennon

Sorry whilst I agree that film (particularly B&W for "reportage/street etc") is supererior I just cannot be ar5£d with film, take the shot, use up the film, send it off and in my case end up with 24 or 36 pieces of paper that are either under or overexposed or suffering from camera shake...After many instances of that I gave up on photography in my late teens/early 20's, shot the odd roll on a Pentax that I got given (not an SLR more like a film version of a bridge camera still got it somewhere) but that was about it.....Digital came along and I love it, and now there is no way on earth I would ever use film...give me digital any day....maybe I spent to long in the dark room with my dad and the sulpher/rotten egg smell of the sepia toning has addled my brain somewhat  :uglystupid2:

Nope digital only for me I'm afraid...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

Gosh, EOS1 - that's going back a bit. I was still shooting weddings as a part timer when they came out!

Nothing wrong with film Dave, especially as you've got the ideal scanner for importing them into a digital format.

I've given the film bug a try and concluded that the 5D2 was doing at least as good a job.

I do sometimes feel like shooting another roll, because i think it is great for forcing you to discipline your shooting instead of just running off 5-10 shots of the same scene to make sure one of them works - and that is the sad fact of digital. The technology allows you to do such things at no cost. We all want THAT shot...

greypoint

My Canon film camera was the EOS600 a state of the art enthusiast model - the chap I sold it to still has it I believe. When it came out, the fact it had the equivalent of 'scene modes' was really cutting edge. I still remember what the brands in those days seemed to signify to me - Canon were the innovators for those who wanted the latest thing [T50?!] - Nikon were the heavy duty pro cameras you could hammer in nails with - Olympus for the young with not too much money - Minolta did'nt really have much of an image for me - Pentax seemed to be for older camera club types with leather patches on their jacket elbows and never ready cases...........as I'm now using Pentax I guess I've found my true niche  :D

skellum

Quote from: greypoint on August 13, 2011, 07:30:01 AM
My Canon film camera was the EOS600   :D

I have a EOS 650 for sale on e.bay at the moment. I heard somewhere that college / uni photographic students are still taught the basics with film.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.