• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 35
  • Total: 35
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Back to Film ?

Started by skellum, August 11, 2011, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 12, 2011, 07:45:20 AM
Try as I might with all the technology and software I still can't get anything from a digital that looks like slightly pushed Tri-X printed grade 4 on Ilford multigrade.

But that's not clarity, that's feel ;)

I don't know for sure, but I'd have thought that to get the resolution of decent 120 or 645 film you'd need to spend Jonathan type money on a large format digital camera.

I had a friend years ago (lost touch now) who used to shoot gigs for a living. He reckoned that if he got one keeper from 500 he was doing well.

Medium format film does have a higher resolution (35mm film is said to need somewhere between 16 and 24Mp digital) than current 35mm digital cameras. However, the above still applies (Exposure, processing etc) - hence poloroid backs for previewing when in the studio.

I'm sure you could simulate the look of tri-X etc in Photoshop etc - but not something that I would know where to start - apart from google :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: Dave on August 13, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
Quote from: greypoint on August 13, 2011, 07:30:01 AM
My Canon film camera was the EOS600   :D

I have a EOS 650 for sale on e.bay at the moment. I heard somewhere that college / uni photographic students are still taught the basics with film.

I hope they are. I always considered, 'old' film trained photographers ,'proper' photographers. I only have second hand knowledge of film, but the father of a childhood friend was a 'proper' photographer and the difference he could create  by using different papers and solutions and whatevers, must be a very good training for a photographer. I don't know if digital can recreate all the subtle differences. 

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on August 16, 2011, 07:15:25 PM
Quote from: Dave on August 13, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
Quote from: greypoint on August 13, 2011, 07:30:01 AM
My Canon film camera was the EOS600   :D

I have a EOS 650 for sale on e.bay at the moment. I heard somewhere that college / uni photographic students are still taught the basics with film.

I hope they are. I always considered, 'old' film trained photographers ,'proper' photographers. I only have second hand knowledge of film, but the father of a childhood friend was a 'proper' photographer and the difference he could create  by using different papers and solutions and whatevers, must be a very good training for a photographer. I don't know if digital can recreate all the subtle differences.

How many people would bother with cameras if they weren't digital. If people hadn't got PCs would they bother with digital cameras at all. The fact that you can go out take a picture, come home and put it on their PC's to view and view or delete, total cost is almost nothing. With film it would cost you a fortune to see the finished picture and realized it's rubbish, you would soon stop doing it and the camera would end up in the cupboard.  :o

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on August 16, 2011, 08:04:01 PM

How many people would bother with cameras if they weren't digital. If people hadn't got PCs would they bother with digital cameras at all. The fact that you can go out take a picture, come home and put it on their PC's to view and view or delete, total cost is almost nothing. With film it would cost you a fortune to see the finished picture and realized it's rubbish, you would soon stop doing it and the camera would end up in the cupboard.  :o

Exactly what happened with me, it was put the camera away or get a divorce. I kept the camera for snaps but didn't get back to what I now love until a family member lent me their digital. Now I'm here annoying people, it's grand.  :2funny:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

greypoint

The theory that it costs nothing is slightly flawed. For those that don't frequent on line photo sites and forums it might just be the cost of a camera or camera/kit lens...for others it's an ongoing saga of upgrades and....'which is sharpest - the Canon 400mm or 100-400mm?' 'I'm just not happy with my 18-50' 'I feel I've outgrown my current camera'  :D  And of course you must have the latest version of Photoshop [how do they all afford that?!] The losers must be the companies that relied heavily on film sales, but the camera manufacturers whose film cameras had little in the way of updates once af and programme modes were established can now convince us that a dslr without live view, movie mode and xx no of mp is 'old technology' - and we believe them!  ::) I've seen plenty of posts where people have been told not to bother with a D300 as it's old technology!   
And don't forget shutter clicks are a bit like miles on a car...if you want to sell, low mileage makes a lot of difference  :dance: :dance:

Cathus

I've come to this thread late, bit with interest having just bought some old film cameras from Ebay, I want to get back into film too.

Jonathan

I know I'm going to get burned at the stake for this, but our friend Amy just published a review of the sprocket rocket http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/lomography-sprocket-rocket-1013744/review

Love the first picture on her sample images page.

I was in Brighton last week and stood in the Lomo shop for about an hour.  Then I remembered I have an action finder that I've never used.
It's Guest's round

Cathus

I love the Lomo type apps on my iphone and wanted to try it for real. I found a Lomo TLR plastic kit for £12 so am waiting for it to arrive. I think it's a bit of fun to indulge on a bit more of the frivolous side of photography now and again.

I remember digital cameras being called "frivolous", one time.

Another camera that's fun is the Holga 120. It can be bought with either a glass or a plastic lens, along with a flash model, and a flash model which has various coloured filters over the flash unit. It's also completely plastic, so dig out the masking tape if you don't want light leaks.
Its only drawback is that it takes 120 roll film, which generally needs to be processed at home... most of these 1-hour supasnaps places won't know what roll film is, let alone process it.

The bonus of the Holga is that it's not run by an extortion racket, unlike lomo.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.