• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 102
  • Total: 102
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Rankin does Rembrandt.

Started by Graham, October 20, 2014, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Interesting program the other night where that Rankin chap tries to recreate the lighting and style of four Rembrandt portraits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04mm12z/the-culture-show-rankin-shoots-rembrandt
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Missed the programme, glad you pointed it out.

A great master to follow, but Rankin did well. Really liked the resulting portraits.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

I'll try to catch that later. School hols and guests, so a bit busy at the moment.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sandy

Thanks for the link, just watched the program and thought it was great.

Hinfrance

just finished watching it. Interesting and enjoyable. Kind of vindicates my portraiture approach of just using one light or a window . .  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

i like the friendly,gentle way he converses with and directs his sitters. I would think that's about 95% of the job.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Well, yes, if you have no rapport with your sitter, you'll never get a relaxed portrait.

ABERS

Just watched it. Since we never knew the original Rembrandt sitters I would have liked Rankin to use non celebs to try and replicate the portraits. I found it difficult to concentrate on the Rembrandt effect whilst being aware of who was being posed, especially my old passion Una the delightful 'Dairy Box Girl'. ;)

I'd love to have a go at something like this, but I'm sure I could only muster up 5 or six assistants to help set things up. So its back to the shed window and the latest copy of AP to use as a reflector.

Talking Rembrandt I watched this the other evening purely by coincidence. A lot of Schama waffle but very enjoyable picture-wise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04mhsn1/schama-on-rembrandt-masterpieces-of-the-late-years

Graham

I was slightly alarmed at the number of assistants, what did they actually do? (Hold stuff and look "available".)
  Also. no celebs' equals no telly program.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Isn't the obsession with age and wrinkles, very much 21st century?

Reinardina

Just discovered this one, where I tried to imitate Rembrandt. For the competition, I think. Years before Rankin did. (August 2012) And without any assistants. Not half as good as the Master, of course, but I tried.

(Sorry to fill all of the front page, but no one else is posting much, and someone has to keep the show on the road.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.