• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 286
  • Total: 286
  • Google
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Macro & Reversing Rings

Started by Chris P, August 08, 2009, 09:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P

Hi all

A quick question.  For ages now I've wanted to try some macro but I've not got a macro lens (or the money for one) and the same is true for extension tubes.  So, I was looking into reversing rings.

My only problem is that the best lens for me to use reversed would be my 35mm f/1.8 but it's a Nikkor G series lens and, therefore, doesn't have an aperture ring.  In fact, none of my lenses have aperture rings and so I can't see a way to control aperture once the lens is reversed.

Anyone know what the best way to overcome this might be?  (And I'm not just going out to buy a D series lens!)

irv_b

Chris I had the same dilenma about buying a  macro lens /close up filters and eventually I picked up a reversing ring off ebay and to be honest I used it a couple of times on my 50mm f1.8 and I'm not impressed with the results :-\ tho that maybe because of my technique :-[ but it only cost less than a tenner
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Mick

Boot sales, second hand shops or ebay.  Get yourself one of those old 50mm M42 mount  screw on lenses.  Should be cheap as chips, and all manual.  :D
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Chris P

Cheers Mick, I'd not thought about an old M42 jobby.

I'll be scouting around eBay now!!

Zenmer

Chris , I have one from my old film days, it's a Carl Zeiss lens, bit battered but optically fine, you are welcome to it if you want it, believe I am just down the road from you too, let me know & I'll post it to you or meet up, might even let you play with a true macro lens  :D

It's like this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M42-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Tessar-2-8-50-std-lens-Good_W0QQitemZ330350711830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item4cea6fd416&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.