• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 87
  • Bingbot
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Available Memory (RAM)

Started by Forseti, March 26, 2010, 01:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forseti

Well my installation of W7 went without a hitch - 50 minutes from start to finish including over 28 updates. Now I just have to reinstall all the applications once again - boring.  >:( However, my question is this: I notice that whilst the system reports 4GB of memory (RAM) being installed it also reports that only 2.75GB is usable. Has anyone got an explanation of the reason for this? It was the same under XP by the way, but seeing this has jogged my memory that this was a question that I meant to ask some time ago now.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

hssutton

I guess you're using the 32 bit version of Windows. 32bit will only recognise a maximum of 4gb, but require a portion of this for itself. http://4sysops.com/archives/why-windows-vista-only-sees-3gb-memory-in-a-pc-with-4gb-ram-and-how-vista-sp1-fools-its-users/

Due to the large file sizes from such as the 5D  I changed my OP system to 64 bit and upgraded to 8gb ram, but suffered strange problems with CS4 only seeing 2.5gb. suddenly for no apparent reason after several months CS4 recognised all my memory. Now everything flies.

Harry

Hinfrance

Maximum RAM supported in W7 is 192gb. Vista was limited to 3gb.

So you should have a lot to play with. Many apps, however, don't accurately report the available ram on systems with multi core processors.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Forseti

@ Harry - thanks, a very interesting link that. And to think that in the package I received both the 32 and 64 bit disks but opted to install the 32 bit.......darn it. I'll wait now until more applications support 64 bit and then consider doing yet another reinstall. Not at the moment though - 50 minutes to install the OS and then all afternoon to install applications first digging through paperwork trying to find licence codes etc. Enough is enough for today.

@ Howard - the 192GB figure might be right but reading through the document that Harry linked to there is still a restriction with 32 bit.  :(
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

hssutton

I find that all the programs bought pre 64bit work ok. Lightroom and CS4 have both versions on the disk/download. The only problem I've found is that Canon Remote Capture will only work on 32bit, but Lightroom beta overcomes the problem with the latest upgrade.

Hinfrance

Apologies, 32 bit 7 is restricted to 4gb. However, your motherboard might not support that. The MB on my PC is restricted to 3gb, so there is no mileage in my upgrading OS until I buy a new PC.

Windows 7 RAM Table
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Forseti on March 26, 2010, 01:07:47 PM
Well my installation of W7 went without a hitch - 50 minutes from start to finish including over 28 updates. Now I just have to reinstall all the applications once again - boring.  >:( However, my question is this: I notice that whilst the system reports 4GB of memory (RAM) being installed it also reports that only 2.75GB is usable. Has anyone got an explanation of the reason for this? It was the same under XP by the way, but seeing this has jogged my memory that this was a question that I meant to ask some time ago now.

You have 4gb of ram of which 1.25gb is used by windows and any other application that may load drivers etc into memory, which has left 2.75gb as free memory to run other applications in, so usable equates to free.  ;D

Forseti

All noted - thanks. Unfortunately, whilst I do have the 64 bit W7 CD I shall have to remain with the installed 32 bit version for the time being as quite a few of my favourite plug-ins are only for 32 bit at this time.

anglefire

Forseti, when you say "plugins" do you mean additional programs for Windows or for Photoshop?

If its photoshop, then the version of windows is irrelavent, as installing pre-CS4 will just install the 32bit version anyway, and CS4 will install both 32 and 64bit versions - and you can run either - I tend to use CS4 64bit on my Vista 64 machine, because I can, and only the 32bit version if a plugin doesn't work.

If its windows, then I've not had a problem if the application is only 32bit - it may run a bit slower as the OS has to emulate a 32bit environment, but can't say its noticable!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.