• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
  • Google
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Hi There

Started by OwinThomas, April 17, 2011, 11:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OwinThomas

Just thought I'd introduce myself to you guys, and girls.

Introduced to this site by Bob (RKSMITH51) today and have already picked up a few new ideas and new websites to keep an eye on. Thanks Bob  :tup:

Anyway, who  am I? A very good question and one I often ask myself :o  My name is Owin and I originally come from Liverpool (OK get the jokes out of the way now ... lock 'em away etc etc  :legit: :2funny:), but now live up near Edinburgh .... That's in Scotland, not the UK as I always thought  ::)

Been into photography since I was a kid, but just the snap happy type of shooter, hi-days and holidays etc. The processing costs were too high to make it a serious hobby, so I eventually lost touch with it. I've sort of rekindled my interest since the digital revolution emerged and became available to the masses ... that'd be me then  :) Unfortunately, health and work have made it harder for me to get out and about over the last few years. Add to that the fact that my tired old Canon 350D is slowly losing the plot and you can see I've not been shooting much.

That is all going to change soon (hopefully very soon) and my equipment is going to be upgraded and revamped. I've been a Canon shooter since my film days, but recently, due to the internet and the folks I've been following, Joe Mcnally, Scott Kelby, Moose Peterson, et al. I've been a hankering for some Nikon kit. So my dilemma is do I stay with the Canon kit or sell it and head over to the Nikon camp? I don't know and until I hand over my dosh the jury is out deliberating.

By the way this isn't an excuse for a Canon/Nikon all out war, but I don't mind being persuaded by either camp.

That's me done and I hope to see you in some part of the forum soon.

Cheers  :beer:

Oldboy

Hi Owen and welcome to CC.  :tup:

As to which to choose I don't think it really matters, as you will be happy with whatever system you choose. Check out Pentax or Olympus cameras as well, and if money is tight then look at secondhand cameras and/or lenses, as this can save you a few bob.  ;D

Hinfrance

Hi Owen.

Clearly what you need is a Pentax system  :idea: :tup: 

Loads more bangs per buck than the ones with the expensive labels and completely weather sealed (K7/K5) against that awful UK Scottish weather.

I was thinking of going to Nikon when the Pentax K5 came out, so I stayed Pentax and glad I did, it's a fantastic bit of kit. See #6 HERE for example. And HERE - although since this review there have been several firmware updates, especially the one increasing the RAW buffer size.

But if you go Nikon you'll have access to Bob's huge array of gear, and I'm sure he'll not notice if some of it gets borrowed by a careful friend once in a while . . .

The thing is though it's actually pretty hard to find a bad DSLR these days at just about any price point, so go into the shops and have a play; then get the one you like the best.

And welcome. Have fun here. ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Mick

Hi Owin, and welcome to CC.

Any questions about finding your way around the site, just shout.  ;)

Rgrds

Mick
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

OwinThomas

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for the choice in kit, I'm afraid most of my friends, neighbours and work collegues are either Canon, or Nikon, so the choice will be between those two as there will be greater abundance of knowledge and potential loan material ;)

As I already have some Canon kit, apart from the duff 350D, I have the 24-105/F4 and a Siggy 50/F1.4, I will probably come down on that side. But, and it's a big but that Nikon gear sure is damn sexy  :2funny: Decisions decisions decisions.

Jonathan

1. Hi.

2. Most people recommend stuff they paid a lot for ;)
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jonathan on April 18, 2011, 02:26:57 PM

Unless it's a Mercedes . . .  :2funny:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

skellum

Hello and welcome.

With regards to Canon or Nikon, when I was a football tog all the large agencies like Action Images were offered Nikon gear but most of the togs I met at matches prefered to stay with Canon. Nikon had another go at tempting the togs before last years World Cup and quite a few were converted and so would I if offered free or heavily discounted gear. I heard a rumour that Nikon had destroyed all the Canon 400mm f.28L is lenses that had been part exchanged from agencies for Nikon.

I use Canon but only because thats the road I went down when I started ( Canon 350 D ) but its to late to start changing systems once you have a bit of gear and I am more than happy with Canon.

Nothing wrong with Nikon though most Press togs round here are supplied by them. Canon may be out numbered on this site now, I know Jonathan, Oldboy, Graham and your mate Bob all have the top of the range Nikon D3.

Oldboy

Quote from: Dave on April 18, 2011, 03:11:59 PM
Canon may be out numbered on this site now, I know Jonathan, Oldboy, Graham and your mate Bob all have the top of the range Nikon D3.

Are you keeping count!  :-[

Oldboy

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on April 18, 2011, 02:26:57 PM

I don't.  :tup:

irv_b

Hi there Owin glad to have you on here :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.