• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 80
  • Total: 80
  • Baidu
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Gumtree?

Started by Graham, June 29, 2011, 04:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

So. I puy my Nikkor 105 2.8 VR micro on Gumtree to see if I would get any response. I've just recieved this rather charming reply'

"Hello, I was just browsing through gumtree to see if i can get a very good and nice item for a very good friend and a colleague of mine who has just been posted abroad on a training course on environmental pollution while i am being posted to Asia on a training course on Population so we are into exchange of gifts with each other,and i came across your lovely item. I want to know if the item is in its top condition,I will like you to help me send the item down to my friend in Lagos Nigeria 23401 on my behalf as gift as i am due to leave for Asia soon so won't be able to receive the item here in the state..I will be offering you £50 for the postage via Royal Mail International Signed For,with p&p, so i will quickly want you to get back to me with the total cost including your pay pal e-mail and your gumtree item number and your full name so that i can make the payment asap. Hope to read from you soon..."

Did'nt even mention what my "Lovely item" was!
    Automated response? Trying to get me to reply with some personal details? Or genuine.
                     Graham.  ???

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Simple rule of thumb - it mentions Nigeria.

This is the place where most scams emanate from, at this current time, that involve getting your personal details so they can then do as they wish with them.

So, on that basis alone - i would ignore the response. But the story doesn't add up either - so that's another reason to give it a miss.

Nope, i would definitely smile at this - maybe even send it to the online crime fighting people, they might wish to take a look at these people. I believe the Nigerian government are also trying to stamp this out...

Beaux Reflets

What are your 'seller terms' Graham? Sounds like someone is maybe trying to get you stuck up a gumtree  :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

I'm pretty sure I can't see 'Born Yesterday' tattooed on your forehead  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

mondmagu

God loves a trier and God knows they are trying!!!
Had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I advertised my camera and lens in 'buy and sell'.He was away with the army(didn't mention which one),wanted my details etc,etc, and never asked about the camera condition or anything!!
Steer clear!!! :legit:

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Graham

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've no intention of responding.
        I just liked the story and frankly, the audacity of it. What makes me think it's an automated response is that there's no refference to "The Item".
        I'm sure it's at least a copy and paste reply to hundreds of adds. in hope of a response.
                           All the best.  Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Markulous

In the early days of this type of scam, quite a few years ago now, I used to enter into a dialogue - always took a while before they twigged that I wasn't being entirely honest. CBA nowadays!  ::)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

birel101

How much are you asking for the lens?

Graham

Quote from: birel101 on June 30, 2011, 09:34:35 AM
How much are you asking for the lens?
Well. I've put it on Gumtree for £500.00 But since I've hardly ever used it, and it's just sitting in it's box feeling unloved, I'd let it go for oh, a bit less than that.
   Let me know if your interested or need any info.
                    Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

krennon

Graham even though I shoot on Sony "I am interested in your lens so please supply me with your bank details, your card no inc security code and pin no so I can make arrangements to empty your bank account I mean transfer the funds asap" :uglystupid2: :knuppel2:

That might as well be what that reply said...nice to see "419ers" are still alive and kicking....and I've had a couple more calls recently telling me my windows pc is infected with a virus and they need info from me to clear it...the stunned silence at the end of the phone when I tell them I don't have a pc as I have a MAC is superb their dodgy script obviously doesn't cover how to handle that (I don't have a mac I do have a pc but it's worth it just to see what they try and come up) The next one I might try is "I don't have a computer so where did you get my details from" see how "Steve" from "Microsoft" handles that one...although Steve always seems to have a very heavy Indian accent.....as do the people in the background that I can hear talking....funny, people don't realise how sensitive headset microphones really are.... ;D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Graham

Oi. Keith!....Come here mate, I've got something for you! :knuppel2:
                   Graham. :P

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

krennon

Graham Only if it's a Nikkor 105 f2.8 vr otherwise I think I'll pass  :legit:

Seriously do people think in this day and age that people would fall for that one, I guess they must otherwise they wouldn't try it would they, but jeez you have to wonder don't you some people really must be  :uglystupid2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.