• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 160
  • Total: 160
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Hit,Miss or Maybe - Don't give up the day job!

Started by greypoint, September 15, 2009, 12:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

As I'm supposed to be taking a few pictures at our town football club where my friends are on the committee I had a bit of a on a park football match whilst waiting for the start of Sunday's dog show. Have'nt done much other than crop them and the light was'nt that good. Not sure if I've got the aptitude for this sort of thing - 70-300mm would have been ideal but is away being mended - 400mm was a bit too long and slow to focus and 70-210 a bit short. And of course I prefer cricket ::)

Oly Paul

These look pretty good Sue.  :)

I'm sure to get shot down in flames for this but I think that in this genre of photography technical ability is less important than the ability to position yourself well and have a knowledge of the game and a ability to read the game and work out where the action will break..and of course a good camera with good fast autofocus and High iso capability to keep the shutter speed high. ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

greypoint

I just stood there and tried to follow the action - firing off two or three frames when the time seemed right. The lenses were'nt ideal so it was a bit hit and miss at times. I agree that with the right equipment it's not hard to get useable stuff. I think it's one of those genres where a lot of people can get good results now with the ability of digital to fire off as many as you want, but there are still the elite who can get that special shot in terms of both content and quality. It gives you great respect for those who managed it when there was the restriction of film though!

skellum

Most football photographers sit to the left or right of goal and use a 400mm to cover the far side of the pitch and 70-200 from the half way line.
Local Papers want at least 6 to 8 general pictures of the game / action. National papers are more interested in goal celebrations or the manager arguing with the ref. I know one tog who must spend half the game looking at the bench. A knowledge of the game & players is needed so that you have an idea of what may happen. Unfortunately ( for the players ) a shot of a very bad tackle would sell well.

Oldboy

All the shots show action sue, so you have done well. The hardest one to get is the ball going into the net. I find that standing around the halfway line is the best position to get shots of both goals, using a zoom lens to cover most parts of the pitch.  ;D

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on September 15, 2009, 03:52:14 PM
All the shots show action sue, so you have done well. The hardest one to get is the ball going into the net. I find that standing around the halfway line is the best position to get shots of both goals, using a zoom lens to cover most parts of the pitch.  ;D

As I said most togs sit to the side of goal as this allows the action to come towards you.

greypoint

I was a bit restricted as to where I could stand so it was really just a case of trying to get what i could from where I was. If I have a go at the club ground I'll try to get a good position. Downside is having to watch football which I normally avoid at all costs! :2funny:

Oldboy

Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on September 15, 2009, 04:04:06 PM

As I said most togs sit to the side of goal as this allows the action to come towards you.

That's OK for people who go often to football matches, but for those who don't I still think the halfway line is the best option.  ;D

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on September 15, 2009, 04:20:44 PM
Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on September 15, 2009, 04:04:06 PM

That's OK for people who go often to football matches, but for those who don't I still think the halfway line is the best option.  ;D
The last picture I posted was taken from the left of the goal. If I had taken it from the halfway line all you would see is the backs of the players... :legit:

greypoint

and of course they do look better with a crowd behind them rather than just the empty space of a park football pitch :D

Graham

I've just been looking at the thread about subject matter, and with that still in my mind I reckon the second one comes on top as a mighty fine pic regardless of whether it's a bunch of footballers or a bunch of ducks!
  The three subjects faces are all clearly in view, you've timed the action and you've got the ball in there so we know what's going on.
     Graham.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Eileen

I think the first, second and fourth pics work pretty well Sue (especially the first one). You've caught some great expressions and action. The ones where you are further back from the subjects don't work so well to my eyes. I think the composition needs to be tighter or more interesting when you are further back: as you can't see faces then the shapes need to tell a story in themselves. I am sure you will get some cracking shots on the day.

Very nice work Dave.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.