• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 273
  • Total: 273
  • Google
  • Bingbot
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Impressive line up of kit there Jinky. Good lick with whatever  you choose to do with it all.
It seems that we struggle to part with older kit, well I certainly do.
Not so much sentimental. But maybe a little, but more the fact that it is just not worth much.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on February 12, 2021, 07:58:08 AM
Impressive line up of kit there Jinky. Good lick with whatever  you choose to do with it all.
It seems that we struggle to part with older kit, well I certainly do.
Not so much sentimental. But maybe a little, but more the fact that it is just not worth much.

I think he want to flog it not lick it?  :hehe:

Jediboy

You say that Oldboy, but have you ever licked your kit? It's really delicious.
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

Taking a shot of a sparrow through the patio window and not bothering with noise reduction because it was pretty clean - even though it was shot at ISO8000!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

How is it that I can find the original boxes for every bit of Nikon gear  I  bought new but seem to have misplaced all the boxes for my Fuji gear bought a year ago. End of a Nikon era for me. All boxed up and ready to go to Wex for final assessment and payment. Based on my descriptions they are willing to pay me £2450 for gear worth much more but having found little interest with ready cash at the local level I`m cutting my losses. Hopefully they won`t knock too much more off it or I`ll be asking them to send it all back. Decided to go for cash rather than trade in against lenses I can now live without given what I do with my photography these days. Just a little bit worried about all this gear going with a parcel Force courier but Wex assure me it is insured so I have to trust them. I`ll let you know how I get on but better that sort of money to me than it lie in a cupboard for years unused I guess. On the plus side I claimed the costs of it all when I set up in my wedding photography and had it offset against my profits and then I paid peanuts to buy it back for personal use at the end of my part time brief career so really I have to tell myself that i am in profit!

anglefire

When I PX'd my 70-200F4 L lens in for a 70-200F2.8L IS at WEX - I got top dollar for it - in fact it "cost" me about £70. To be fair the price of Canon gear did go up by a factor of about 2x one year so that "helped"
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

Quote from: anglefire on February 15, 2021, 10:14:04 PM
When I PX'd my 70-200F4 L lens in for a 70-200F2.8L IS at WEX - I got top dollar for it - in fact it "cost" me about £70. To be fair the price of Canon gear did go up by a factor of about 2x one year so that "helped"

Yes I`ve been lucky once or twice when lenses went up. I sold a flashgun last year for more than it cost me somehow to a local guy desperate to have it too. I think the problem now is that mirrorless cameras are driving DSLR prices down. In many ways I`m left with a kit now that is not as good  as what I`m selling but for 98% of what I shoot it`s enough.

anglefire

A friend of mine has gone the Fuji route from being a Canon gal - one reason being the gear was getting too heavy and she has retired from professional photography as well as Canon sunnyside up her off when they wouldn't do anything when a battery in her camera went bad. Blamed her for incorrect use and getting the body wet. Which was bull.
I've benefited though as I bought her 300mm f2.8L at a reasonable price - and more importantly with known provenance!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

Yes Fuji for me too and I love it. Stopped shooting raw in all but really challenging lighting situations as I just love the jpeg recipes I`ve tweaked straight out of camera. Spend next to no time editing these days

jinky

Bemused is a little strong but a friend of my wife`s asked me to judge their village photo competition on the theme of "Our Village". Got the first 14 or so photos sent to me (all ahead of the supposed start date of the comp but never mind and it makes me appreciate how much work people put into meeting the theme on here for our comps. I`ve a whole series (from schoolkids ) of mainly blurry pics of trees and plants and three of a group of sheep in varying weather conditions with questionable white balance. I knew it was a mistake to agree to "judge " them. The first that seems to show  village life  would seem to have the best chance!  :D

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on June 15, 2021, 04:29:51 PM
Bemused is a little strong but a friend of my wife`s asked me to judge their village photo competition on the theme of "Our Village".   :D

You're on a hiding to nothing, as no matter who you choose, everyone else will think you are blind to not see that there effort was the best, even if it is out of focus and doesn't fit the theme.  :wtf:

anglefire

Went to Wollaton Hall and Deer park this morning - spotted a deer in the woods - fenced off as its a preservation area - and saw a young Deer - snapped a few off - then realised I'd left the camera set on 1/1000" - and was a bit dark. So the camera hit ISO51200. And is remarkable ok after a bit of noise reduction in LR.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Not a bad shot after all.  :tup:

Some times you read a article's title and wonder why you didn't think of that?

'Layer Hall effect in a 2D topological axion antiferromagnet'

It means better batteries.  :uglystupid2:

anglefire

More yesterday (Again!)

Went to site where they like you to have a lateral flow test at least once a week - but the two a week I do at home aren't good enough - and they don't do them on a Friday which is my usual site day. But I had to go in yesterday briefly for a job I'm involved in.

So did the job and then the test place was open so popped in and had a test. They took all the details and the chap entered it on his phone - dunno why I have an account and it would have taken me about 2 seconds. Anyway.

Walked out and was going back to collect my bits and bobs to have my daughter ring to say that she had been advised by her work to get a PCR because she has a cold - but she doesn't have any of the official symptoms but after a call to 119 got one arranged.

Which means we have to isolate - at least until Monday when the rules change when we don't as we have been double jabbed (So has the one daughter BTW - the other one is due her second next Saturday - which could be an issue.....)

And yesterday I had the results of my antibody test to say I haven't had covid (Or not the last 6 months anyway!)

Typical!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.