• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 46
  • Total: 46
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Odd things I found today

Started by bones615, June 12, 2011, 02:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

Raining outside so I got the light tent out, playing about with a reversed 50mm on my macro lens. 1st odd thing is the curve in the area in focus below. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that it should be straight.
The second odd thing is a needle i found in the wifes sewing box. 2 holes & a "v" in the top, whats that for?

Beaux Reflets

V in the top may be for unpicking  :D and I guess the curve is due to light refraction being altered - could be useful or annoying  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

bones615

Found a strange insect today, any ideas???
No more than 25mm long including the tail.

Simon

Edit, Found out today its a type of mayfly. Should rename it august fly.

Paul Montgomery

That curve is odd - is it a flat surface ?
Or, just thinking aloud, I'm guessing that with a reversed lens mounted on a dedicated macro, you're looking at a fairly large magnification - does the plane of focus end up being a constant radius from the centre of the sensor, rather than the usual plane parallel to the sensor?

Paul Montgomery

Hmm just thinking a bit more about my theory...
A 50mm lens has an angle of view of around 40 degrees according to the inter web. So, when its used the right way round, light from a 40 degree angle is bent to come out of the lens parallel. Does this mean that when its used reversed, parallel light going into what was the back is bent outwards though an angle of 40 degrees (20 either side of central) leading to a curve in the plane of focus ?

bones615

All sounds a bit technical Paul, picture is an Ipod ear phone so it has a slight curve at the edge which might exaggerate the effect.

Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.