• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 64
  • Total: 64
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Well done Mike.

My friend posted on Farcebook that his kindle had packed up. Went into the study and found that all my books were still working  :2funny:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Out of the blue had a Kindle for my birthday last month, made a change from a sweater! Been chuckling to myself each evening having downloaded some P G Wodehouse gems, which I haven't read since some forty years ago. So they do breakdown do they? I must tell Gussie Fink Nottle when I'm next in the Drones Club. :dance:

krennon

Brilliant Tringle made me laugh.....

Why would anyone want an "electronic book" I can understand it if you're a student and you can get text books for it or if you live in a bedsit...or if you are partially sighted as you can increase the font/page size but really I like to turn pages and feel paper between not slide my finger over a screen and make like I'm on the USS Enterprise......

wmmfgt work flew by arrived at 8 finished at 5:30 felt like I'd only been there for a couple of hours that and my boss bought me lunch (she's good to me and great to work for) and finding out that as my wife passed an inspection at work she has been given Xmas Eve off....which means we can drive down to Devon first thing on the 24th instead of going down in the afternoon.... :tup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

hevans

Quote from: krennon on December 13, 2010, 06:40:18 PM
Why would anyone want an "electronic book" I can understand it if you're a student and you can get text books for it or if you live in a bedsit...or if you are partially sighted as you can increase the font/page size but really I like to turn pages and feel paper between not slide my finger over a screen and make like I'm on the USS Enterprise......

I was also given a kindle this last autumn. It's handy if you travel a lot, saves carrying the bulk of a book. The screen's quite nice, being an e-paper, rather than an LCD screen. It can also store many many books. Do I prefer a real book? Well, they both have their advantages.

WMMFG? I found €100 on the street on Saturday. Given half to charity and wondering what to do with the rest...

H.

ABERS

I forgot to add that my wife is an avid reader and I only seem to get to read with it early morning and late night. She suggests that it will save me all those trips to the charity shop taking her used books down there. I think she is angling for one of her own! ::)

picsfor

Quote from: ABERS on December 13, 2010, 06:39:02 PM
Out of the blue had a Kindle for my birthday last month, made a change from a sweater! Been chuckling to myself each evening having downloaded some P G Wodehouse gems, which I haven't read since some forty years ago. So they do breakdown do they? I must tell Gussie Fink Nottle when I'm next in the Drones Club. :dance:

Excellent reminder Alan. Recently got an iPhone and i'm enjoying having books on there to read whilst sat around waiting for my next train...
P.G. Wodehouse and the drones Club here i come   :tup:

Oldboy

The only trouble with a Kindle is, it's hard to bend the corner to mark the page!  :uglystupid2:

Hinfrance

The only trouble with e-books is that you don't own them. So you can't give it to a friend or a charity shop when you've finished with them.

I'd get a kindle like a shot, but only if I could have ownership of the texts I buy.

Like that will ever happen . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

Quote from: Tringle WP on December 14, 2010, 11:11:21 AM
The only trouble with e-books is that you don't own them. So you can't give it to a friend or a charity shop when you've finished with them.

Yup, a serious down side for the consumer, but this seems to be the way all such content is being marketed now. It's a win-win situation for the copyright holder: you can sell it lots of times to the same person. In a few years I see the market going to pay per read. It's like the music industry, which has hobbled people's music collections via DRM. The common problem there: you replace your computer, and you need to transfer the content to another machine that might not be licensed.

The problem with this consumer model for the kindle is that it's tied to Amazon - what happens if Amazon goes bankrupt and the Kindle management service is no longer available? Can you transfer your purchases to a non-Kindle device? What happens in 100 years when these works are no longer copyrighted, but there's no legal means (thanks to DRM and the DMCA) to convert them to an open format?

QuoteI'd get a kindle like a shot, but only if I could have ownership of the texts I buy.

Like that will ever happen . . .

Mine was given to me. And I'm still in two minds about it: I can appreciate the convenience, but don't like the ephemeral ownership of the contents.

That said, I've only bought one ebook for it, and most of the content is from project Gutenberg. And the books are not much more expensive than a couple of newspapers or magazines, all of which end up in recycling anyway (although with newspapers and magazines the contents have an effective expiration date).

H.

rksmith51

WMMFGT ?  the payment for my Scotsman images went into the bank today, now what do I need  :legit:
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

krennon

wmmfgt....

Being told it's Dress down all next week we have a company shirt and tie that we normally have to wear and we've been let off for next week, that and allegedly our boss may be taking us out for lunch one day....and I'm only working 4 days next week then weather permitting off down to Devon on Xmas Eve....hopefully leave early (about 7) get there in time for lunch.....yay.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Not too sure it made me feel good, but it's ironic relevance made me chuckle. Whilst posting on another thread about horses defecating on the road I was puzzling how to spell faeces, I used turd instead :-\

I went to Google and typed in the first couple of letters and right by faeces was 'Facebook'. As Howard in France always refers to Facebook as Farcebook I will now call it Faecesbook. Very apt I think. :tup:

skellum

The Gas fitters told me they will be finished on Monday and we will have central heating again.. :tup:   To speed things up I wired the boiler for them. The frustrating thing is that I no longer hold a " Part P " certificate so the fitters have to check it.  >:(

Hinfrance

Quote from: ABERS on December 17, 2010, 05:29:46 PM
Not too sure it made me feel good, but it's ironic relevance made me chuckle. Whilst posting on another thread about horses defecating on the road I was puzzling how to spell faeces, I used turd instead :-\

I went to Google and typed in the first couple of letters and right by faeces was 'Facebook'. As Howard in France always refers to Facebook as Farcebook I will now call it Faecesbook. Very apt I think. :tup:

Couldn't have put it better myself  :dance:

Good news about the heating Dave. It's even a bit nippy hereabouts just at the moment.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

bones615

Had a visit from my sister today and she had bought me a years subscription to practical photography as a thankyou for doing some portraits for her, nice to be appreciated.

Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.