• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 237
  • Total: 237
  • Google
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donoreo

Quote from: DigiDiva on February 16, 2015, 10:03:08 AM
Abers I didn't realise you were old enough to do national service. I think it should be brought back maybe not for everyone but to try to instill discipline and regime into the lives of some people (male and female) who really contribute nothing to society.
Bermuda still has it, which I just found out.   Some non-British related countries still do as well, like Israel. 

Simple

I did my National Service in Holland 40 years ago. I certainly did not look forward to it! Being a country boy it was a big experience for me and was very intimidated by it all. Looking back on that time several years later I believe that it taught me a lot about essential skills in life, such as discipline, respect, cooperation and most important myself. I feel that people who missed out on this experience will find it harder/take longer to grow up. (Although my dearest wife still thinks I am a big child!)

ABERS

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on February 16, 2015, 09:57:25 AM
Were you for or against "National Service" when you did your stint Alan?

I wonder what the general overall reaction would be from the youth of today if it was reinstated.

It was something one had to do and therefore accepted it. I might have opted out it if that was an option, but in hindsight I realise that by not doing it I would have missed out on an experience that taught me so much, especially about  self discpline and comradeship.

I smile when the current gang of politicians tell us 'We're all in it together'. They are just mouthing a cliche. When you did National Service you quickly knew what that really meant.

A couple of chaps from our village dodged it by their fathers knowing what strings to pull. Didn't Heseltine get out by realising that standing for parliament in a bye election meant he could get out of it? Later on he ended up as Mininster of Defence!  ::)

Reinardina

Several of my friends tried to get out of it (in Holland, in the late sixties). I think it was seen as a challenge. No one succeeded though, they all did their bit in the end.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

Quote from: Reinardina on February 17, 2015, 08:01:58 AM
Several of my friends tried to get out of it (in Holland, in the late sixties). I think it was seen as a challenge. No one succeeded though, they all did their bit in the end.
A friend of mine was rather overweight. If you were over 100kg you were not fit for duty! He was eating like mad for a couple of weeks and stuffed himself in the bus to the medical with Mars bars and chocolate. He stood on the scales and the doctor said it was 103kg. With a sigh of relief he stepped off the scales only to hear the doctor say not to worry about it and that he would quickly loose some weight when he was serving. On the way back in the bus he was sick from all the chocolate and the shock.

Reinardina

Quote from: Simple on February 17, 2015, 10:53:47 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on February 17, 2015, 08:01:58 AM
A friend of mine was rather overweight. If you were over 100kg you were not fit for duty! He was eating like mad for a couple of weeks and stuffed himself in the bus to the medical with Mars bars and chocolate. He stood on the scales and the doctor said it was 103kg. With a sigh of relief he stepped off the scales only to hear the doctor say not to worry about it and that he would quickly loose some weight when he was serving. On the way back in the bus he was sick from all the chocolate and the shock.

That's funny, as one of my friends was too light. You had to be 50 kg and he was, I think, something like 48 or 49. He was a gymnast, so very fit, but not tall and quite skinny.
When he had to go for his 'herkeuring' (what's that in English?) he thought he'd walk it. He was 49.5 and like your friend, thought he got out of it, but he got the same answer in reverse: he'd put it on soon enough, once serving.

jinky

Quote from: ABERS on February 16, 2015, 04:57:57 PM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on February 16, 2015, 09:57:25 AM
Were you for or against "National Service" when you did your stint Alan?

I wonder what the general overall reaction would be from the youth of today if it was reinstated.

It was something one had to do and therefore accepted it. I might have opted out it if that was an option, but in hindsight I realise that by not doing it I would have missed out on an experience that taught me so much, especially about  self discpline and comradeship.

I smile when the current gang of politicians tell us 'We're all in it together'. They are just mouthing a cliche. When you did National Service you quickly knew what that really meant.

A couple of chaps from our village dodged it by their fathers knowing what strings to pull. Didn't Heseltine get out by realising that standing for parliament in a bye election meant he could get out of it? Later on he ended up as Mininster of Defence!  ::)

Yes Heseltine was in the Welsh Guards for all of 9 months before he realised that if he stood for the unwinnable seat of Gower he would get out. They changed the rules later as you did not even have to win the seat at first. Strange he took to wearing flak jackets on every possible occasion as Minister of Defence for the cameras!

Hinfrance

Had a new batch of extra bright LED spot lights arrive for fitting in the kitchen. Installed them. Couldn't see a darned thing. I did a bit more research and now I know why: lm = cd × ( 2?(1 - cos(º/2)) ).  In easy language the LED lights are rated at 260 lumens, the old halogens at 180 lumens. Slam dunk to the LEDs you might think. What the formula tells you though is that the actual brightness in the area illuminated by each lamp, which we humans tend to perceive on the Candella scale, is rubbish for the LEDs which have a 110 degree light spread and therefore only 90CD, whereas the halogens have a 35 degree spread and a CD of over 600. So the LED spots are less than 20% as bright as the halogens, even though they appear to be extra bright if you read the label.

The LEDs have, of course, gone in the bin and I have ordered a batch of 20 halogens before the EU ban them.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

The old lights are always the best!
What b.m.t? A year after throwing in a couple of pretty poor efforts to a holiday company  photo comp they write to tell me I've won a £150 John Lewis vouchers for 3rd prize. They liked my other better but it was about showing a company luggage label in shot and I'd photo shopped it on a Cuban car to make them smile rather than a serious entry. As my other was done with a soggy label I'd dropped in the sea before knowing about the comp I'd not expected anything. Goes to show you never know what these judges are looking for as I'd judged it a useless also ran ! :D

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on February 26, 2015, 06:08:31 PM
The old lights are always the best!
What b.m.t? A year after throwing in a couple of pretty poor efforts to a holiday company  photo comp they write to tell me I've won a £150 John Lewis vouchers for 3rd prize. They liked my other better but it was about showing a company luggage label in shot and I'd photo shopped it on a Cuban car to make them smile rather than a serious entry. As my other was done with a soggy label I'd dropped in the sea before knowing about the comp I'd not expected anything. Goes to show you never know what these judges are looking for as I'd judged it a useless also ran ! :D

Perhaps my photos will be also ran!  ;)

Well done on 3rd place. Drinks are on Jinky.  :tup:

Reinardina

Yeah, not bad at all Jinky. I never ever even made a short list, and only win occasionally in competitions on sites like this.

Reinardina

Due to my handicap, my eyes pick up some letters of a word, and my brain completes it.

This morning in the paper: "Thieves bundle 38 payphones in sacks.'

The usual double take, and rescan, revealed the payphones were actually pythons.

Sometimes even handicaps can be amusing.

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on March 24, 2015, 09:45:18 AM
Due to my handicap, my eyes pick up some letters of a word, and my brain completes it.

The usual double take, and rescan, revealed the payphones were actually pythons.

Hope it wasn't the Monty crew?  :2funny:

donoreo

Quote from: Reinardina on March 24, 2015, 09:45:18 AM

To be honest, either way that headline is sort of funny :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.