• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 102
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 75
  • Total: 75
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on March 24, 2015, 01:40:57 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on March 24, 2015, 09:45:18 AM
Due to my handicap, my eyes pick up some letters of a word, and my brain completes it.

This morning in the paper: "Thieves bundle 38 payphones in sacks.'

The usual double take, and rescan, revealed the payphones were actually pythons.

Sometimes even handicaps can be amusing.
To be honest, either way that headline is sort of funny :)

I found the pythons rather frightening; they were royal pythons, and 'lived' in a flat, not some spacious detached place somewhere.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

Witnessed a bit of road rage in the aftermath of an accident. Looked like a little Asian guy had reversed out into the lane running alongside parking in front of shops. exchanging views a much bigger guy was pushing the one a foot smaller telling him he could not take a photo of him and if he did he would carry out a citizens arrest and  detain him until police arrived. I walked by at first but as he got more aggressive felt I should say something. Told him it wasn`t in fact illegal to take a picture of him on a public street and that if the assault carried on I would be videoing him myself and calling the Police. Bemused by his ignorance / bullying and subsequent string of deletives aimed at me. Amazing how some can turn a prang of metal into a fight! At least my interference had desired effect as they exchanged details ad parted.

Jediboy

Well done Jinky. So many people would walk away and not help. Some people just can't be told.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

On a bit of the main road from our village into town the speed limit has been lowered on a slightly sinuous set of curves after the fairly predictable occurrence of yoof driving their cars over the edge of the shallow escarpment with monotonous Friday/Saturday night regularity. The signs went up on Wednesday. This morning there were not one but two yoof-mobiles upside down in ditches on that stretch, metres apart but on opposite sides of the carriageway.

Luckily no-one has hit any of the fairly sparse street furniture yet, landing instead in muddy fields, sometimes the right way up, but usually upside down. The main damage is to bodywork and pride, but you can see why plod thinks it is getting rather tiresome.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spinner

Was watching the  Brit tv show Wheeler Dealer. The host was talking about a Corvette and made some crack about dodgey American electrics. Why does that bemuse me? Because on this side of the pond it's the opposite, car enthusiasts talk about dodgey Brit electrics.  :2funny:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

In all fairness the electrics on my Corvette are rather erratic; the error messages being a particular favourite of mine.  'Communication lost with driver seat' has a special and regular place in my heart. Whenever it is started in cold weather it reports, without fail, that the traction control and ABS systems require maintenance.

That said,  it does at least always start.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

More embarrassed than bemused.

Not having much spare time at the moment due to family commitments, I managed to get a couple of hours last Saturday to do my bit and steward the club's annual exhibition. I found myself co-stewarding with a very 'arty' type lady that insisted on discussing the motivation and inner feelings that made her take photos and looked on the art as a way to express and reveal her reaction to life in general. A couple of hours stretched into eternity. :(

Visitors to the exhibition, if they so desire, are asked to vote for their favourite panel. I mentioned to her it was felt amongst many members that to win this accolade was regarded as a bit of a poisoned chalice, since those voting had little or no idea what made a decent photograph, and most, if not every year, it was awarded to the panel that was made up of local scenes or someone whose work showed little or no creativity.

At Thurday's club evening the results were announced, with this lady's panel taking the honours!  :-[

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on April 11, 2015, 09:02:13 AM

Not having much spare time at the moment due to family commitments, I managed to get a couple of hours last Saturday to do my bit and steward the club's annual exhibition. I found myself co-stewarding with a very 'arty' type lady that insisted on discussing the motivation and inner feelings that made her take photos and looked on the art as a way to express and reveal her reaction to life in general. A couple of hours stretched into eternity. :(

Visitors to the exhibition, if they so desire, are asked to vote for their favourite panel. I mentioned to her it was felt amongst many members that to win this accolade was regarded as a bit of a poisoned chalice, since those voting had little or no idea what made a decent photograph, and most, if not every year, it was awarded to the panel that was made up of local scenes or someone whose work showed little or no creativity.

At Thurday's club evening the results were announced, with this lady's panel taking the honours!  :-[

I wonder if she always feels very 'sun risey/sun seetingy,' or probably 'beachy and landscapey,' possibly even 'deery.'

Maybe you should ask visitors to vote for the most interesting/challenging/accomplished panel, or whatever else you can think of.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Alan. When you said  ":-[", did you mean ":2funny:"?  ;)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Sandy

A great story, she might give you a wide berth for a while

ABERS

Quote from: Graham on April 12, 2015, 07:33:06 AM

Alan. When you said  ":-[", did you mean ":2funny:"?  ;)

Well I did really Graham, but you know me, too much of a gentleman. She'll talk to me one day and then I'll congratulate her.  8)

Hinfrance

I bought a new bulb for my study yesterday. The old fashioned tungsten ones I used to have are not longer legal - so I had to spend about 30x as much on an LED one.

So how come the packet says it'll last 15 years, but it's only guaranteed for 3? My guess is it'll last about 3 years one week.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

Went to the Docs yesterday, at their request, for an annual check up. I keep away from doctors as much as I can and not having had a check up for three or four years I thought I'd better show willing in case they struck me off the register.

Sitting in the waiting room I appeared to be the only person not either texting or playing games on their 'phones. Bye the bye my name came up on the screen asking me to report to Dr Dave's room.

Mmmm I thought, " is this the new face of the NHS", wondering what sort of friendly chap Dave would be. :)

On knocking and entering I was, to my surprise, facing a large Asian lady in a sari and thick pebble glasses who invited me to sit down.

Apparently Dave is pronounced DARVEY! :-[

P.S. I am apparently fit for service having had all the necessary poking and prodding needed. I was ready to leave in a hurry if the old rubber gloves made an appearance. :legit:

Paul Montgomery

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 22, 2015, 12:26:22 PM
I bought a new bulb for my study yesterday. The old fashioned tungsten ones I used to have are not longer legal - so I had to spend about 30x as much on an LED one.

So how come the packet says it'll last 15 years, but it's only guaranteed for 3? My guess is it'll last about 3 years one week.

It appears that tungsten bulbs are only illegal for domestic use. If you can find a suitable supplier, they can be bought 'for industrial use only'. Fortunately, it appears my light fittings accept industrial bulbs  :idea:

ABERS

My grandaughter has recently landed the job of pastry chef at Hampton Court and had a strange experience on the second round of her interviews. She had been asked to prepare two desserts for presentation and to bring them for assessment early the next day.

Promptly at 8 a.m. she was making her way to the kitchens in a somewhat deserted corridor when she felt that someone was behind her. She glanced over her shoulder and lo and behold she was being followed by Henry VIII in full regalia. As she looked he muttered a gruff "G'd Morning" and turned down a side corridor.

What she didn't know of course was that there were several school trips planned for the day where the children met the Tudors!

She had a coffee with Cardinal Wolsey the other day!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.