• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 112
  • Total: 112
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT -CREEPY CRAWLIES - Weekly Comp 17-23 June 2013

Started by Hinfrance, June 17, 2013, 07:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

I snapped this today - why didn't I find anything like it last week?

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

oggalily

I know it doesn't quite fit the brief but I did use my macro lens!

jinky

Did my critique a couple of days ago. Be interesting to see if what I wrote before voting got going is a correct assessment.

jinky

Where was this fella when I needed him last week?

SimonW

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

oggalily

Quote from: jinky on June 26, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Did my critique a couple of days ago. Be interesting to see if what I wrote before voting got going is a correct assessment.

Are you posting the critique into this thread, jinky?  Look forward to seeing it.

jinky

Yes indeedy. I said after the results were known and here it is. Only my views and trying to be gentle  ;)

Mr Bumble – Nice summer scene but  doesn`t fit the brief for me as it is not close up enough to get that "bugged" feeling. I like to see a shot in close on my favourite part of them – the bees knees ;-). I`m guessing you don`t have a Leica macro attachment to get up close and personal. A slight crop off the right and a little left would give better composition for me but lovely colour / light.

Ugg – or urgghh as it is to me! Not quite in  focus to me and just not the best angle for it. I am assuming you picked it up and put it on some white paper (dirty boy!) Maybe a shot from the front at slight angle would have got us some of the slugs real character – if indeed a slug has any characted, he`s no Brian the Snail in the looks department is he ;-). I think you`ve lost a bit by putting it on white outside it`s natural environment. Maybe next slime ....

Bug – got my vote as it fitted the brief best with that great focus on it`s head. Great detail and dof and a lovely shot. Like the texture of the cloth it is on too. Is it a moth? Female I think so that should be a myth ;-)

Ant – nice summery shot again but without Dec it just does not quite hit the spot for me. A little less clutter on the background behind the ant would lift it a bit but I am not seeing a bug eyes beastie with attitude here. Lovely colour and dof though. Funny seeing just the one – must be an  independant ;-)

Bob – nice capture with great colour again. Again I`d have liked to have seen him from another angle though – not sure when they are looking away out of shot to the corner. If you had managed to  catch his head as prime focal point from the other side then Bob`s your uncle as they say ! Don`t know what it is so no joke ?

My Damsel – not in distress H! Needed to be in closer to get that head detail and a little soft. Liked my background but wished they had come closer and I`d got a headshot to meet H`s brief better.

In Clover – as you said ogga doesn`t really fit the brief but lovely tortoise shot capturing a bubbly, playful attitude rather than a beastly one. You needed to do some grass trimming just in front of him for it to work better as those blades distract but delightful shot. I went to a fancy dress part once with just a brown suit and a lass on my back. They said what are you supposed to be and I said a tortoise. "Well what`s she doing on your back?". That`s Michelle ?

Hoverfly – another summery shot with nice colour and detail. Nice focus, on the wings primarily, and nice placement. Again would have preferred it not looking out of shot. Is it beastly with bad attitude though? What do bees call hoverflies? A wannabee.

I think most of us struggled to get the weather and subject this week and for me H`s shot stood out a mile as the best fit to the brief for being up close and personal . Nice for me to do something different though. Was even looking at kenko extension tubes briefly on ebay before deciding-  no save money for trips!

Oh and thanks for the votes and the win folks. Nice surprise. :D

Hinfrance

Congrats on the win Jinky and well done with the critiques.

Time to come clean about mine, ahem, it's actually two shots stuck together in pp. The depth of field was so small that I had to take two shots to get the eyes. I have no idea what it is, but we get a fair few of them floating about the surface of the pool. This one was getting its breath back after being hooked out of the water. The material it is on is in fact the net I used to rescue it.

It's the first time ever that I have managed to get a decent macro of a bug, and using the Metz ring flash too boot (usually use it for people shots).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Enjoyed reading the critique Paul - Congratulations on the win  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

SimonW

Thanks for taking the time to do the critique Jinky. It can't be an easy task to strike a balance between being helpful and upsetting someone, so well done.

(I knew my slug wouldn't be liked - I only posted it in connection with an earlier chat with Hinfrance, and because I'd not managed anything better. But I hadn't noticed the focus problem. Slug had crawled onto the soggy wet paper on the ground, and I was on my knees in the rain. I think I was just a tad closer than my lens would go, so I'll keep that in mind for the future close-ups.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

jinky

Quote from: SimonW on June 30, 2013, 09:39:35 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do the critique Jinky. It can't be an easy task to strike a balance between being helpful and upsetting someone, so well done.

(I knew my slug wouldn't be liked - I only posted it in connection with an earlier chat with Hinfrance, and because I'd not managed anything better. But I hadn't noticed the focus problem. Slug had crawled onto the soggy wet paper on the ground, and I was on my knees in the rain. I think I was just a tad closer than my lens would go, so I'll keep that in mind for the future close-ups.)

Thanks Simon and others. Just a quick run through really and should have spent more time trying to be useful. One of the best bits of the old DCM forum I felt was the critique of comps. I enjoyed that as much as the rare win in those days. A guy called Fizzio used to do some great in detail critiques that must have taken ages. Still talk to him occasionally on facebook and have second shot for him at a wedding. My efforts are woeful in comparison but happy to give it another try if people want it - or someone else might want a go. I think it is important that any critique is taken in the spirit in  which it`s meant. We`re a small , safe community here and I am sure no-one sets out to upset anyone. Looking again now the distracting grass I highlight in Ogga`s tortoise image is no doubt his breakfast he is about to devour and on that front adds to the image - 2 ways of looking at it.

SimonW

I happened on a neighbour's tortiose a couple of weeks ago. It was on the grass and nicely posed. I got the camera out, the neighbour kindly moved some grass from in front of the tortioise's face. He immediately drew his head in and refused to come out again, so no shot....
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

michaelb104

Jinky thank you for taking the time to do the critique's, I know it is not easy but with your eye for detail and humour I think you got it right.

I was only thinking about Fizzio when I saw your crit pop up, I think without his reviews over on the old DCM and the support and advice from members (quite a few who are here at CC) I wouldn't have progressed this far with my skills (still a very long way to go though!)
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.