• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 115
  • Total: 115
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Are you rushing out...

Started by greypoint, July 31, 2009, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Having ebayed everything - one lens to go - I'm down to 2 lenses 17-70 and 70-300. Something longer would be nice but then there's the weight thing - looking around for a bargain!

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on August 01, 2009, 09:42:28 PM
Having ebayed everything - one lens to go - I'm down to 2 lenses 17-70 and 70-300. Something longer would be nice but then there's the weight thing - looking around for a bargain!
As you have a D300 now, check out the Nikon AIS lenses, as there are some great deals about.  :D

Chris P

The D300s doesn't really appeal to me but the D3000 is a much more interesting concept.

£450 for a camera with the 11 point 3D tracking AF from the D90?  Thats going to be it's biggest selling point surely?  Wait for the price to drop below £400 and I reckon Nikon will have a winner on their hands (so long as the CCD sensor is half decent at ISO 800!)

greypoint

I think Nikon dominated the lower end of the market with the D40 so not only should it appeal to new users but could well be seen as an upgrade for D40 owners for not too much money.

Chris P

Absolutely.  Nikon could have a big seller on their hands so long as they keep it priced right.  When they brought out the D5000 I remember thinking "crikey - that's pricey!".

It's not only Nikon, of course.  When Canon released the 500D it cost more, body only, than a 50D.  To me, that's madness.  I even started a thread about it DCM.  If Nikon actually price the D3000 from the start so that it's attractive to D40 users and newcomers then they'll have the best spec/price combination in that market.

irv_b

I see that Amazon have priced the D3000 at £499   but I wonder if it is that much of a step up in usuability compared with the D40 if it is still aim at the entry market? I would imagine the technology is better but from what I read  people tend to change cameras because THEY have advanced in technique and ability rather than just because a new camera has come out! the D300s is £1500 btw

(copy and paste)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=d3000&tag=yahhyd-21&index=aps&hvadid=15180318031&ref=pd_sl_7gu219hl8r_b
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Chris P

It offers quite a lot more tech than the D40.  It's still based around a CCD sensor but the AF system is very advanced for a camera in it's price range.  How useable that AF system will be, especially for entry level users, I'm not sure.  It's a great system on the D90 and works extremely well.

It's difficult to say if the D3000 will be more "useable" than the D40.  I'd argue that perhaps it'll be harder to get to grips with thanks to the extra toys.  Nikon's AF system still has me flummoxed sometimes so how a new user will find it we'll have to wait and see

greypoint

I think it was meant to be a D60 replacement rather than D40. Before the world money problems forced up camera prices, entry level DSLRs were hitting rock bottom so I suppose in better times the street price of the D3000 would have been under £300 body only.

Chris P

Quote from: greypoint on August 05, 2009, 01:49:57 PM
I think it was meant to be a D60 replacement rather than D40. Before the world money problems forced up camera prices, entry level DSLRs were hitting rock bottom so I suppose in better times the street price of the D3000 would have been under £300 body only.

Exactly.  And it's better than the EOS 1000D and might even compete with the Olympus's and Sony's on value! :o

wendoureecat

I must admit I am hoping the D300 will drop in price when the D300s comes out. Having said that although we live in a fairly large town if you are not a canon user or want a point and shoot I have to go either online or to Melbourne to do my shopping. And with the exchange rates I quite often wait for a trip to the UK to make my purchases. Although my inlaws have moved to France and there is a town near there that has no tax and camera prices can be bargained for so a trip to France's countryside might be in order next year.

irv_b

Without wishing to pry to deeply into other  peoples finances. How do you guys go about raising the money to get a new camera or lens even -do you sell your pics or use your existing camera as p/x or have you got some ingenius scheme to raise the neccessary dosh-being a plumber, I am saving the money I get from weighing in the scrap metal off a job  :)
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Chris P

Quote from: irv_b on August 08, 2009, 09:04:33 PM
Without wishing to pry to deeply into other  peoples finances. How do you guys go about raising the money to get a new camera or lens even -do you sell your pics or use your existing camera as p/x or have you got some ingenius scheme to raise the neccessary dosh-being a plumber, I am saving the money I get from weighing in the scrap metal off a job  :)

Personally, I tutor A-level students in my spare time which pays well.  Sadly I'm still in quite a lot of debt from several years at University.  Ultimately I just save up money and try to make sure I've paid off some debt before I spend anything.  Running out of "cheap" things to buy now!!

bones615

Irv, My wife generously gives me a few quid a week pocket money from MY wages, I am a bugger to by for at xmas so I save my pennies for each piece of kit, just got the bigma this way. I have just picked up a bargain from ebay - old eos 300 film camera with 75-300 and a standard lens for £35, should be able to put it back on and turn a profit on just the 75-300, this can then go into the macro lens pot.

Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.