• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 88
  • Total: 88
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Film camera.

Started by anglefire, May 22, 2021, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Daft question. My sister has been given a camera to sell.
Just looked and it's an OM-4 film with a oly 35-70mm f4 and bell and Howell 80-205 macro f4.5
Flash and various filters.

I thought it would be £50 or so. But looked on eBay and a body and 50mm lens are on for around £200.

Anyone know what it should go for?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

StephenBatey

Sorry for the late reply.

I've just looked up prices on the West Yorkshire Cameras site, mainly because a) I know that they are fair and b) from selling to them I know what I would be offered relative to their sale price.

Obviously a lot depends on condition, cosmetic and working. OM4 cameras can have issues if left with a battery in for long periods (apparently) so this could be a big part of the value.

An OM4 is on sale with 50mm f/1.8 lens for £250; the OM zoom lens you have is £50 (I'm rounding up by £1 in both cases). A lower brand zoom of this range runs at £15. Making assumptions about condition and the cost of a "body only" OM4, I'd take a stab at WYC offering something in the region of £160. They'd give their own estimate if you asked, of course basing it on your evaluation of condition, and readjust on receipt of the goods if required. Naturally, you would expect to get more from a private sale - WYC have to check stock and offer guarantees apart from the overheads of running a shop with staff.

Film cameras are actually going up in price, in some cases quite substantially. I have a camera given to me because it wouldn't sell, that would set me back £350 now, so it's not surprising if current values are higher than you think.

Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

anglefire

Thanks Steven, I was surprised if I'm honest! But a pleasant one!

I'll let my sister know. Battery is either flat or missing - as I had to put it into B 60 to get it to fire to test the shutter.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.