• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 148
  • Total: 148
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Four thirds system

Started by guest4, November 17, 2007, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4

Four thirds is currently mostly Olympus so reckon this fits here. My apologies to Mick if he feels that posting to another photo forum is spamming, if thats the case please feel free to remove. However, Four Thirds User is a site specifically for, well, four thirds system users so I don't really think it counts as competition. Also the info is quite interesting.

A long running discussion has blown up as to whether the four thirds system has a future. It was actually sparked by an AP review of the new Panasonic L10 where the reviewer, it has been suggested, went a little beyond his brief by questioning the effectiveness of the four thirds system as a whole. What makes this interesting is that 3 AP staff members, including the editor, tech ed and the author of the original review have felt the need to join the discussion to defend and clarify their stance.

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897

Another related thread has blown up regarding the impartiality or otherwise of magazines, the discussions quickly become similar, again with AP staff input

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869

lurkalot

Quote from: veggiesosage on November 17, 2007, 02:09:10 PM
Four thirds is currently mostly Olympus so reckon this fits here. My apologies to Mick if he feels that posting to another photo forum is spamming, if thats the case please feel free to remove.

Andy, no problem with these sort of links whatsoever.   Gathering and posting information so people can find it is what it's all about m8. 

Gonna have a read up on the four thirds stuff myself, as I don't understand it.  Thanks for the info ;)

Malcolm1938

I'm new around here so forgive me for going into a very old thread -

The question being asked is Does 4/3 have a future - I say definitely YES.

4/3 is a concept that initially has used just one sensor size in every camera - some are known as 4/3 and others Micro 4/3.

In the longer term there is nothing to prevent an extension of the system by the intoduction of a 32x 24 sensor in a Midi 4/3 camera which would compete with full frame cameras or even a 40x30 sensor in a Maxi 4/3 camera moving on to the next level.

4/3 has a future because it's a format that is good to use and it is only limited by the imagination of the manufacturers.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

chris@seary.com

IMHO, I think that 4/3 is really coming into its own now.

It's a smaller format, and perhaps this could cause Olympus problems when the manufacturers start to push us towards full frame, but the claimed advantages are apprent now.

When I was buying my first DSLR (Nikon D50), there was nothing available that was small and compact. The Olympus cameras were actually some of the largest available!

Now, they're producing compact cameras with fantastic features (particularly the E-620). The Micro 4/3 is aimed at users who want to upgrade from a compact.

No other manufacturer seems to be concentrating on putting a full featured camera into such a small body.

Malcolm1938

I have only limited experience of 4/3 having upgraded from a Canon 350D to an Olympus E510 Twin Lens kit. I do not use high ISO's a lot and have found no problems with noise. The IS is very good and works with all my lenses and The Kit lenses are better than any other kit lenses I've ever used.
Before I got it I asked another 4/3 user about getting a more expensive lens and he asked me why I thought I needed to - I stuck with the basics and dont regret it at all.

When newbies asked for DSLR advice on the other site I usually tried to point them at Olympus just because I know the value they offer....
PS I dont work for them and never have - I've left that to David Bailey...

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Steve McHale

It's interesting times we live in.  I've been a Canon user for years and years, since the AE-1 and probably before.  I've also been a loyal fan through digital with my EOS 400D but a year ago I bought a Panasonic G1 to keep as a 'everyday' camera.  After toting both systems about and using them in all conditions, I've packed my Canon away and just stick with the Panasonic.  It's lighter, smaller, more intuitive, more flexible and takes cracking shots, even up to poster size.  The micro four thirds has been promoted as a step up for beginners...tosh!  It's a fabulous system to work with and photographers shouldn't be put off just because camera magazines can't get their heads around non-reflex/non compact cameras (I think it offends their ability to stereotype!)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.