• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

My Corvette failed it's CT (MOT). Reason, the 'service ABS' light is on - as indeed it has been on and off for about 10 years. It's an ECU glitch caused by a poor earth somewhere, the ABS actually works just fine, as indeed the tester acknowledged, but he says he can no longer pass it if the warning light is on - the rules changed earlier this year. Aren't electronics (and governments) wonderful?

First step, a new battery as my tester says it is at 45% efficiency, which can't be helping. If that doesn't do it then it's dashboard off and bulbs removed ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

After losing my AOL desktop it's a pain to do the poll today, as I can't open multiple windows in Microsoft Edge!  :-\

After playing around I've just found how to do multiple windows in Microsoft Edge !  :uglystupid2:

Alfonso_Frisk

WAMT?
Sent my laptop back to Acer with less than a week left of warranty as there was an issue with the charging port.
They have sorted it telling me it is the actual charger unit and plug at issue and have replaced it.
Great, except they have also wiped the drive completely and installed a fresh W10 including all the bloatware and security cr@p.
Hours of updates and reinstalling my programmes ahead for me, but, why wipe the drive to check a power socket ?
Not happy bunny today
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on September 12, 2018, 06:17:41 PM
WAMT?
Sent my laptop back to Acer with less than a week left of warranty as there was an issue with the charging port.
They have sorted it telling me it is the actual charger unit and plug at issue and have replaced it.
Great, except they have also wiped the drive completely and installed a fresh W10 including all the bloatware and security cr@p.
Hours of updates and reinstalling my programmes ahead for me, but, why wipe the drive to check a power socket ?
Not happy bunny today

I think I would be seeking compensation for that!  >:(

Hinfrance

Do you not have a disk image? I make a new one every few weeks.

Agree, though, if you didn't, what a pain in the posterior.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 13, 2018, 07:30:16 AM

My backing up work flow is not good to be honest. (and never has been), something I have never gotten my head around
I would not know what a disc image actually is or how to create one
I normally just copy things over to an ex hard drive every few months, mainly photo folders I have created and a copy of my documents and downloads folders which would also include some sub folders with docs etc.
I created a USB repair/restore disc when I first bought the lap top that is it.

Hinfrance

Disk imaging is everso easy - download Macrium Reflect - it's free for personal use - the download button is down a bit and coloured blue - and follow the instructions. You might want to create a Macrium boot USB (optional), but otherwise it's just plug in a suitably sized external drive and a couple of clicks. Drink tea/coffee with biscuits (optional) while it grinds through it :)

Hope it doesn't take you too long to get back up and running.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 13, 2018, 09:42:14 AM
Disk imaging is everso easy - download Macrium Reflect - it's free for personal use - the download button is down a bit and coloured blue - and follow the instructions. You might want to create a Macrium boot USB (optional), but otherwise it's just plug in a suitably sized external drive and a couple of clicks. Drink tea/coffee with biscuits (optional) while it grinds through it :)

Hope it doesn't take you too long to get back up and running.
Does it overwrite the previous "image" you did or do you end up with a load of external drives 1tb in size stuck in a cupboard?

Hinfrance

Very drole  :) - no you can set it to keep as many or as few images as you like - I usually keep the last two in rotation - and I only image the system partition, the data partitions are backed up separately elsewhere.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

Went out with my GoPro today, a great opportunity to get some good footage for a video I'm making. Flat Battery!!
But its was fully charged before I went out?!?  :uglystupid2:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 13, 2018, 07:30:16 AM

Never had much luck with disk imaging software as it doesn't seem to work for me. When I've tried to do a restore it doesn't work. One program I tried was True Image which wouldn't restore at all. Luckily, I was able to edit the image software and restore the one file I really needed manually.  :tup: 

Hinfrance

Reflect works. I used it to transfer my OS to an SSD - glitch free.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Oldboy on September 12, 2018, 08:45:22 PM
I think I would be seeking compensation for that!  >:(
I have complained to them asked why would you even go near the hard drive and op system when you know the issue is a power jack or power plug,
There reply ?
"" Unfortunately when a unit arrives into our repair centre, it is often the case that it needs to be re-set which incurs in a loss of any data stored on the product. We do therefore advise to make a backup of any important data before sending the unit in if possible.""

Errm, I explained that the power supply is erratic so making a back up could be a problem.

I think thet they went into auto pilot, recieved the laptop and went ahead wiping and removing drives first without even looking at power inputs and plugs etc.
Im now on day 3 of removing bloatware and reinstalling progs and files whilst waiting for this machine to install numerous large updates.

they have also offered me a 10% discount on my next purchase, cheeky feckers.

Hinfrance

Daughter is doing online tests to support her university application. She had just started one really important test when our internet went down. She hadn't even finished the first question. The system scored her zero and because she had already 'taken' it once it won't let her redo it. This may well have screwed up her chances of getting the university place she wanted. The nerds who design this 'computer says no' software should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. Bast*rds.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 23, 2018, 09:45:59 AM
Daughter is doing online tests to support her university application. She had just started one really important test when our internet went down. She hadn't even finished the first question. The system scored her zero and because she had already 'taken' it once it won't let her redo it. This may well have screwed up her chances of getting the university place she wanted. The nerds who design this 'computer says no' software should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. Bast*rds.

Crikey that is annoying. You'd like to think that this could be taken into consideration and rectified.
I hope it hasn't damaged her chances.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.