• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
aliexpress
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Windows 10

Started by Reinardina, July 24, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hssutton

Beware. Windows 10 will create problems with Nvidia drivers and at the moment there is no way to stop this problem other than stopping auto updates which can create other problems. This problem only arises with W10 upgrades to 10240 or with the final release sheduled for later this week. I will update my Nvidia dives manually, but apparently on the next W10 auto updates this driver will be changed. I guess it's back to  W7 for me until this problem is sorted. Effectively W10 driver removes the ability to use the Graphics Processor.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72088/20150727/windows-10-automatic-updates-mess-up-nvidia-drivers-what-to-know.htm

Harry

I've also have a problem with Lightroom which will not start with the message unable to find catalogue. pointing lightroom to  catalogue makes no difference

Oldboy

Quote from: hssutton on July 27, 2015, 04:56:00 PM
Effectively W10 driver removes the ability to use the Graphics Processor.

Harry
That's good, should slow things down so you can make a cup of tea!  :o

I've also have a problem with Lightroom which will not start with the message unable to find catalogue. pointing lightroom to  catalogue makes no difference

Try looking in the event logs as the message may not indicate the problem.  ???

jinky

Beware. Windows 10 will create problems with Nvidia drivers and at the moment there is no way to stop this problem other than stopping auto updates which can create other problems. This problem only arises with W10 upgrades to 10240 or with the final release sheduled for later this week. I will update my Nvidia dives manually, but apparently on the next W10 auto updates this driver will be changed. I guess it's back to  W7 for me until this problem is sorted. Effectively W10 driver removes the ability to use the Graphics Processor.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72088/20150727/windows-10-automatic-updates-mess-up-nvidia-drivers-what-to-know.htm

Harry

Really useful  ;). Would blow me out too so thanks for that. Decision made - I stick with Windows 7

hssutton

Oldboy.
Nothing showing in events log. This is probably due to W10/Lightroom not seeing this as a problem. Lightroom is just not seeing the various catalogues. These problems have only come about with the recent upgrade.

Harry

Karen

will I have to reinstall all my software programmes when I upgrade

Oldboy

Quote from: Karen on July 29, 2015, 08:48:57 AM
will I have to reinstall all my software programmes when I upgrade

Simple answer is no. But until you upgrade we won't know.  ???

hssutton

A major update last night has resulted in a few minor problems. Not sure if the Nvidia driver problem with photoshop has been resolved, but the driver I installed direct from Nvidia which resolved the problem has not been overwritten by the final update.

However The sound system is not working (oK in W7 ) and I also have problems with my cardreader (again OK in W7). otherwise all is well and I'm quite pleased with W10. Once I sort out the problem with the reader and sound I will use W10 exclusively, but will continue to backup my photo's to external drive and to W7.

Harry

SimonW

Two of the PCs I look after have not yet tried to download Windows 10 but my main machine (Windows 7 64bit Pro) has now tried and failed  six times (as shown by the "Review Your Update History" screen).  I'm in no hurry so I hope it'll sort itself out in due course....
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

hssutton

In addition to my previous post regarding cardreaders and sound not working, I also find both my DVDs writers would not work. Eventually after a great deal of head scratching I've solved my problems which again was down to the drivers in W10.
I reinstalled all the drivers for my motherboard which resolved all of my problems, so all systems go. Unless of course Microsoft decide otherwise

Harry

Reinardina

I find all this very scary.

I use a PC, but do not really know much about the workings of hard and software. I'm just about capable to install a programme (if it goes in, in one go), and that's about it.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Did my windows 8.1 laptop last night, all went ok, or at least it seems to have done.   :tup:  Just got to find my way around it.

I'm holding off on the desktop because it has NVidia graphics, anyone know if they've sorted the issues with those drivers yet?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Hinfrance

I currently have my MS developer friend staying with me. Before we got drunk last night we had a quick chat about W10.

He reckons it's jolly good*, but like all things corporate the gun has been slightly jumped on the release and he says there will be a slew of updates for at least the next fortnight to iron out the remaining niggles and unforeseen glitches after it has been released into the wild.

Upshot, worth having, but wait a little while before installing.

*Also, interestingly another friend who is here at the moment (we're a bit full this weekend, party night tomorrow) who runs a couple of software companies in SA, the UK and Germany, has ditched his personal Macs for Windows machines, although he remains in a loving relationship with his iPads  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

Quote from: Hinfrance on July 31, 2015, 07:41:24 AM
after it has been released into the wild.

Back in the early 1970s in my first programming job, one of the systems programmers used to refer to the new software from the maker of our mainframes as "escapes" rather than "releases" (shouldn't have been let out at all).  ;D
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

hssutton

Back in the early 1970s in my first programming job, one of the systems programmers used to refer to the new software from the maker of our mainframes as "escapes" rather than "releases" (shouldn't have been let out at all).  ;D
[/quote]

Escape certainly defines the release of W10. Many, many problems, but it's fun playing around with it. I would however advise against upgrading at this point, or do what I and many others have done and that is work on a cloned version of your present software.

Karen

Im still waiting on dam thing so will let you know what i think when i finally get it

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.